ANYBODY got The Right Stuff 4 wheel disc brake conversion????

-

Chebe

Reaction score
I have a 69 barracuda with this setup on it. I did get the emergency brake option on the rears. Anybody else have this setup and what do you think? I've had nothing but trouble with this kit and to the point of ripping them off the car. I've been fighting them for 2 years now. See list below of issues:

I did get the 15/16 master cylinder from The Right Stuff and the thing leaks out the top, so I barely keep the cylinder half full to prevent it from spilling brake fluid down my firewall or steering shaft. All 4 bleeder screws leaked and had to be replaced probably due to me having to bleed the brakes way too many times. Also got the rear proportioning valve and installed it but the car doesn't have enough stopping power to even need to adjust it from fully open.

If anybody has this setup, do you have any suggestions for bleeding (I'm about to remove the caliper from the rotor completely, stick a 2x4 in it and bleed with the bleeder screw facing straight up instead of horizontal to the ground or downward as they face while installed on the car). Last bleeding session was with a brake bleeder that forced fluid thru the master cylinder thru each bleeder screw that I thought for sure would clear any air in the system. Also, thinking about taking the emergency brake bracket off the caliper and cutting new points in it so that it will engage instantly instead of after a 1/4" of motion on the parking brake bracket located on the caliper. Currently with the 1/4" motion, the rear pads have slight play back and forth that makes me think there is too much play for constant friction on the rotors, thus lack of stopping power with a low pedal. Yes I've adjusted the hex bolt on the rear of the caliper but I can not get it to line up to where the bracket rests on the stopper without having to back the hex bolt off a bit. If the parking brake is fully engaged the pedal is hard and at the top. I've cut the spring on the emergency brake cable of the driver side a few coils because it seemed the spring was too long not allowing the cable to fully pull the bracket without causing it to bind up thus not engaging the parking brake fully. This actually seemed to have helped a bit as now the car will hold still on a flat surface only while in gear. Any uneven surface and the car will roll. I also just replaced the rear pads because they wore unevenly causing them to form a lip on the pad itself likely due to play. I just got back from Crusin' the Coast and was literally embarrassed because everytime I had to come to a slow stop the rear brakes would growl very loudly. I was hoping it was just a break in period but after driving the car about 200 miles they are still just as loud. Lastly, I'm thinking about stepping up the master cylinder to the 1-1/16" bore just to try at this point.

I've spoken to tech support multiple times and all I get is bleed the brakes again. "They can be stubborn." I can not get the parking brake hex bolt to move and I've driven the pistons out a good distance before I thought they might damage them, pushed the piston back in to have it in the same spot and also tried twisting the piston back in to have the hex bolt in the same position. Apologize now for the long, probably jumbled rant but I'm tired and pissed off with these dam brakes. I'm seriously considering cutting my loss on these and buying the Wilwood setup.

sounds like a whole mess of problems...
For starters, the bleeder screws should always be at the top of the calipers on any system. Is it possible the calipers are mounted incorrectly or on the wrong side of the car or something?

Did you bench bleed the master?

[ame="http://getdiscbrakes.com/drop/Instructions/MDCRD01.pdf"]http://getdiscbrakes.com/drop/Instructions/MDCRD01.pdf[/ame]

Check out page 14 for bleeder screw orientation. Calipers came labeled as to side from factory.

Yes also bench bled the master. Also used a bleeder forcing over a quart of brake fluid thru the master cylinder thru all 4 calipers.

Suggestion for bleeding the calipers:
The bleeder port must be the highest part when bleeding out the air. If you have to unbolt the caliper and put a piece of wood between the pads to accomplish this then do it. It's the only way to get the air out.

What a crappy design. How someone could design a kit that makes you take the caliper off in order to get the bleeder screw facing up is beyond me. Sad part is a guy I worked with used The Right Stuff on his chevy and was complaining about leaking and crappy brake feel too. Sounds like they should be known as the crap stuff......

The last thing I want to do is give anybody or company a bad rap, but I'm just fed up with them. Just looking to see if anybody else has these and if they had any issues with them and if so what tricks can you share.

Just curious......what are you doing with your car that you actually need 4 wheel discs?

It's just a street cruiser but wanted to do 4 wheel disc for appearance factor and going to be doing a motor and tranny swap (likely 408 stroker) and wanted to make sure i had the stopping power if need be. Plus people where I live drive like A-Holes.

You said the master doesn't seal, like fluid can freely spill from the top? This would also mean that moisture is freely entering and fouling the fluid. I wouldn't do anything else until I was able to get the master to seal.

As far as the rear brakes "growling", after you installed the kit, did you intentionally go out and bed the brakes in? Below is what I follow for bedding in brakes. Everything from my F250 diesel, to my '69 Signet, and my Speed Triple. It is AMAZING the difference in braking performance of properly bedded in disc brakes vs just mount and go.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

I'm going to rebuild my original master cylinder that I took off. Looks to be a Wagner Lockheed, FF-7571C. The top physically screws into the body to make a proper seal and this should take care of the leaking cheap Master Cylinder I purchased with the kit. Bore size measures to 15/16"

I have the rear disc conversion for my Dana and also their chrome power brake booster / master. If you didn't adjust the rear calipers when you installed them and they were dry (no fluid) you will give yourself a headache. It can be surmounted, but it's a pain in the ***. I can help you if you need to go there. You will need to know the orientation of the bleeder screws.

I have the rear disc conversion for my Dana and also their chrome power brake booster / master. If you didn't adjust the rear calipers when you installed them and they were dry (no fluid) you will give yourself a headache. It can be surmounted, but it's a pain in the ***. I can help you if you need to go there. You will need to know the orientation of the bleeder screws.

I did adjust the rear calipers when I installed them but before I bled the system as they recommended so the mechanical portion (e-brake) was adjusted as they detailed in the instructions. The 1/4" of movement should be sufficient but with the 1/4" of movement I think the pads move around too much in the caliper. This is why I'm contemplating cutting the e-brake bracket so I can eliminate all play.

I was thinking of removing the calipers from the rotor, sticking a 2 x 4 inside, engaging the parking brake and then bleeding the entire system again but with the bleeder screws facing straight up.

As to the fluid coming out of the M/C.. What's happening is with so much air in the system,, when you pump and release,, you are compressing the air in the system on the pump,, and when you release the pedal,, all that compressed air shoots the fluid back into,, and obviously, over the top of the M/C..

Get rid of the air,, and the fluid'll stop shooting back..

cheers

I have a 69 barracuda with this setup on it. I did get the emergency brake option on the rears. Anybody else have this setup and what do you think? I've had nothing but trouble with this kit and to the point of ripping them off the car. I've been fighting them for 2 years now. See list below of issues:

I did get the 15/16 master cylinder from The Right Stuff and the thing leaks out the top, so I barely keep the cylinder half full to prevent it from spilling brake fluid down my firewall or steering shaft. All 4 bleeder screws leaked and had to be replaced probably due to me having to bleed the brakes way too many times. Also got the rear proportioning valve and installed it but the car doesn't have enough stopping power to even need to adjust it from fully open.

If anybody has this setup, do you have any suggestions for bleeding (I'm about to remove the caliper from the rotor completely, stick a 2x4 in it and bleed with the bleeder screw facing straight up instead of horizontal to the ground or downward as they face while installed on the car). Last bleeding session was with a brake bleeder that forced fluid thru the master cylinder thru each bleeder screw that I thought for sure would clear any air in the system. Also, thinking about taking the emergency brake bracket off the caliper and cutting new points in it so that it will engage instantly instead of after a 1/4" of motion on the parking brake bracket located on the caliper. Currently with the 1/4" motion, the rear pads have slight play back and forth that makes me think there is too much play for constant friction on the rotors, thus lack of stopping power with a low pedal. Yes I've adjusted the hex bolt on the rear of the caliper but I can not get it to line up to where the bracket rests on the stopper without having to back the hex bolt off a bit. If the parking brake is fully engaged the pedal is hard and at the top. I've cut the spring on the emergency brake cable of the driver side a few coils because it seemed the spring was too long not allowing the cable to fully pull the bracket without causing it to bind up thus not engaging the parking brake fully. This actually seemed to have helped a bit as now the car will hold still on a flat surface only while in gear. Any uneven surface and the car will roll. I also just replaced the rear pads because they wore unevenly causing them to form a lip on the pad itself likely due to play. I just got back from Crusin' the Coast and was literally embarrassed because everytime I had to come to a slow stop the rear brakes would growl very loudly. I was hoping it was just a break in period but after driving the car about 200 miles they are still just as loud. Lastly, I'm thinking about stepping up the master cylinder to the 1-1/16" bore just to try at this point.

I've spoken to tech support multiple times and all I get is bleed the brakes again. "They can be stubborn." I can not get the parking brake hex bolt to move and I've driven the pistons out a good distance before I thought they might damage them, pushed the piston back in to have it in the same spot and also tried twisting the piston back in to have the hex bolt in the same position. Apologize now for the long, probably jumbled rant but I'm tired and pissed off with these dam brakes. I'm seriously considering cutting my loss on these and buying the Wilwood setup.

Check out Dr Diff. His stuff works.

http://www.doctordiff.com/

He's got all the "right stuff" (sorry),, he is guilty of doing what I bet we've all done,,.--- NOT READ THE INSTRUCTIONS,, as mentioned,,

He's on the right track now,, 2x4 with bleeder at the highest point poss..

There's dozens of these kits out there,, working,, poorly designed, obviously,, but....

There's nothing mysterious,, pressure at one end gets equal pressure at the other,, get rid of the air.. jmo

cheers

Late follow up but I got them working:

- I replaced the Master Cylinder and its not leaking anymore. Got one from NAPA.
- Wound up sanding down the rear pads in order to re-position the emergency brake lever to the next hex notch on the caliper to push the piston out as soon as the cable is pulled.
- Bled the brakes again very thoroughly. Rear to front then rear again to ensure it was good.

I should have just got the Wilwood's from the very beginning and considering swapping to them down the road. Thanks for the advice.

This is not my car but a picture of how the rear calipers are oriented

4-12-10007.jpg

4-12-10008.jpg

OK, I am trying to understand this line in the instructions:
"You can remove the caliper mounting pins and rotate the caliper to re-position the bleeder."
It does not look like you can 'rotate the caliper'...????

Did the big bolt adjustment on the caliper not work for adjusting the pads for the e-brake?

-
Back