Anybody know...

-
I believe your only two options for that year and engine were 904 automatic or 3-speed manual.

Yes, 1963 you could only get the auto and the three speed but in 64 you could chose the pushbutton auto, the three speed or the A833 four speed.

I believe your only two options for that year and engine were 904 automatic or 3-speed manual.
I have a push button auto...but I thought it looked too small for a 904. I was thinking of using a built 904 for the gasser. I was told the 904 can handle it if built right, and it's much lighter than the 727.---- Thanks-----Stylo

I'm confused. Will your gasser use the slant six? If not, you need a different transmission regardless since bellhousing bolt-up varies. Small blocks came w/ both the 904 and 727, the later probably for police, taxis, and/or trucks. I doubt any slants came w/ 727 in an A-body, though understand there is a truck version w/ adapter for slant, or maybe thinking of a 4-spd manual.

I'm confused. Will your gasser use the slant six? If not, you need a different transmission regardless since bellhousing bolt-up varies. Small blocks came w/ both the 904 and 727, the later probably for police, taxis, and/or trucks. I doubt any slants came w/ 727 in an A-body, though understand there is a truck version w/ adapter for slant, or maybe thinking of a 4-spd manual.

Per an entry a few threads down the page, he is installing a 392 hemi as I read it...

I think I'm going with the 340 stroker route....Can't I change the bell housing to fit the 340?....Stylo

You've got a lot to change for a 340 stroker, not one 904 built w/a pushbutton will handle that engine w/o upgrades to later than '68 components. And I don't believe there were
any SB-727 case PB trannies either, so you need a trans shop to take a 273 PB trans & perform all the upgrades to handle that stroker, or ditch the pushbuttons. There were a
couple companies that made PB cable adapting hardware to std. trans', Imperial(services?) I believe is one, google them.

Also, there isn't anything smaller than the 904 in your '64, the only "smaller" 904
was the Masterbishi adapted versions for 4cyls.

You've got a lot to change for a 340 stroker, not one 904 built w/a pushbutton will handle that engine w/o upgrades to later than '68 components. And I don't believe there were
any SB-727 case PB trannies either, so you need a trans shop to take a 273 PB trans & perform all the upgrades to handle that stroker, or ditch the pushbuttons. There were a
couple companies that made PB cable adapting hardware to std. trans', Imperial(services?) I believe is one, google them.

Also, there isn't anything smaller than the 904 in your '64, the only "smaller" 904
was the Masterbishi adapted versions for 4cyls.
I think I'm going to have to ditch the pushbutton idea then...Think a 904 will handle it? If not, I do have an extra 727 on hand. I was only interested in the 904 for weight purposes. My buddy says the 904 will handle it if built with a syncro shift type of pattern....Thanks...Stylo

And I don't believe there were
any SB-727 case PB trannies either, so you need a trans shop to take a 273 PB trans & perform all the upgrades to handle that stroker, or ditch the pushbuttons.

Sure there were. A '63-65 B-body with a 318 would have had one

Lol!! Being a fan of the Poly, You'd think that would've dawned on me! Get brummett a kewpie doll!
As far as the 904 handling the stroker, sure, but it ain't gonna be cheap. The 727 should have no problem w/o dumping too much$ in it.

Sure are. I have a small-block 727 push-button tranny in my shed. I paid $100 at a Mopar swap meet, incl torque conv & adapter to change from B&T to a sliding-yoke driveshaft. A few months before that a guy was selling one on craigslist, also $100. For an early-A, you need to beat a flange in the tranny tunnel flat to fit it, but otherwise supposedly bolts-in. Mine is 2000 mi from the OP and not for sale, but shows they are available.

Would also need a V-8 steering cross-link and a 65-66 small-block oil pan, or dent a later one so the steering doesn't hit the side. The 7.25" rear-end likely needs changing to maybe a Ford 8.8.

-
Back