Anybody running 17" Cobra Bullit rims on a Duster

-
Agreed! I love the fact that you managed to get the rears out to the quarters and not look like they are too far in the well. Same goes for the front. Thanks for the heads up on which parts to use also. (as a non-modified set up)
Plan to do a 8.8 swap into my Valiant so I can get rear Disc brakes, Limited Slip, and the big bolt pattern on the cheap. The wheels will drop right on at that point but Ill still need the spacers!
Thanks for the post!

Plan to do a 8.8 swap into my Valiant so I can get rear Disc brakes, Limited Slip, and the big bolt pattern on the cheap. The wheels will drop right on at that point but Ill still need the spacers!
Thanks for the post!

Are you sure you'll need the spacers? Seems like some of the Explorer rears are about right for a bolt-in. Obviously the wheels make the difference, but there are a lot of wheel choices to get the offset you want to run.

Clair

Im not sure at this point whether Ill need spacers or not really. But... The difference in width of the rears is not much at all and I prefer the wheel to be offset toward the out side as much as possible with out rubbing. So I figure, the wheels that are common and easy to get ahold of (the offset you have) will most likely need a spacer still.
Im not quite sure what Im doing for the front end swap to big bolt pattern yet, so I have no idea what my track will be up front yet.

I wish I had the extra cash about 3 weeks ago. There was a set for sale locally that were exactly what I wanted, deep rears and normal fronts, 18's and an extra set of brand new rear tires.

I don't have any spacers on my 69 Valiant - BBP cop rotors up front, 65-67 B-body 8.75 in back, 17x8 +30 (5.7" BS) Mustang Cobra wheels. I could use a tiny bit more offset in back, but no more in front. 245/45's fit great, and 275/40's are good, but really getting snug to the inner quarters in back.

Clair

player1up, what are the backspacing on your 05 Wheels? I thought that the backspacing was 45mm on the 05 and they wouldn't work so I was told.

I was told here some time back that the 05 wheels have a backspace of 45mm which is 6.29 inches and the 96 to 04 wheels have a backspace of 36mm or 5.72 inches and would not fit on my 64 Signet without major help and every time I see this post I drive myself crazy so on the rear of the wheel on one of the spokes it says the BS is 45mm and these 05 wheels have that number. What exact number is on back one of the spokes on your 05 wheels 45mm or what mm?

You cannot imagine how much I dislike how manufacturers of American vehicles throw around every number in millimeters as if all of the Americans have thrown away our rulers in favor of the metric system. For crying out loud my friggin engine is 358 cubic inches and the 8.75 inch rear was built in the USA. I buy pants the size of my waist in inches and I still remember when school taught inches and still do today.

I don't dislike this, I actually hate this crap, imagine asking for pants in millimeters and shoes too

Hotlines, My wheels are 6.29 backspace ( 45mm offset ) or about .0007941919 furlongs :)

The easiest way to tell < 05 vs 05+ is the valve stem. If the valve stem is on the painted part of the wheel, it's 05+ and if the stem is partly in the brushed lip, it's < 05. Also, the spokes on the 05+ wheels are a little more "round" and don't have as much of a sharp line down the center of each spoke.

They'll fit all right, with the correct spacers. Spacers are not for everyone, I live about 6 miles from work and my car only sees about a 10-12 hwy trips per year ( not much more than 20 miles per trip ) so spacers aren't a huge concern, although I do check them every couple of months to make sure they're tight. Spacers are a hugely debated topic on the site so I'm not gonna get too far into it, but if a full size furd truck can use them to run semi rims...then the 17's on my car should be fine...

Where did you find 18x8 fr500's? were they custom made? Does it look like you could get 9" wide in there?

I can answer this one, he had some 9" wide FR500's narrowed to 8". Started with the 6.42" backspacing one's so that after narrowing them they are 5.42" BS. The rears are a 5.95" BS.

My question is, GMachineDartGT, what rear axle are you running, width wise?

DionR
Now that I read that, i think I remember him saying that before. Thanks for the reminder.

Beat me to the reply...:0)

The 9's were narrowed to 8 up front. The rear axle is a stock 8 3/4 A body axle, the springs are moved in 5/8" with the offset pieces. Lips are trimmed/rolled all the way around, but no spacers. 3" dog point studs with alum open lugs all around. This setup has been on for about 4 years, and has seen track time without issue - and thats WITH green bearings...

Beat me to the reply...:0)

The 9's were narrowed to 8 up front. The rear axle is a stock 8 3/4 A body axle, the springs are moved in 5/8" with the offset pieces. Lips are trimmed/rolled all the way around, but no spacers. 3" dog point studs with alum open lugs all around. This setup has been on for about 4 years, and has seen track time without issue - and thats WITH green bearings...

Thanks!

Clair,

Here is a picture of the sleeves my machinist buddy made for me. I forgot to come back to this thread and reply. I'm posting from my dads account right now, though.

Attachments

• 25603_445813318568_588663568_5371026_3332718_n.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,314
here is my 67 Notch with 20s and 17s in the rear
056-1.jpg

057.jpg

077.jpg

086-1.jpg

Clair,

Here is a picture of the sleeves my machinist buddy made for me. I forgot to come back to this thread and reply. I'm posting from my dads account right now, though.

wow...those are nice, I want a set! How much can your friend make those for? lol....

Staggered 17's and 20's would look sweet on that barracuda! It would give it a great stance!

Tuck the 20's a bit further and then run the 17's up front as previously mentioned. They look good, just need to drop the rear a bit!

-
Back