Anybody use EngineQuest cylinder heads?

-

dusterglenn

Reaction score
Anybody use the CH318A heads? Like most guys, one of my magnum heads is cracked and leaking, and the other needs a ton of work. These look like a decent price. Might even be cheaper than rebuilts locally.
Any experience with them? Good, bad, ugly?

Spend the extra bucks for the eddy's. They are no longer making the R/T heads, so don't throw good money out on the stockers which will just crack again so you have to replace them down the road.

The EQ heads work well. They are not like the stock heads at all.

If you are going to spend 1500 on a set of heads like ede's, buy RHS heads from brian at IMM instead. Better head/chamber and components than the ede's. Make more power than the ede's too in brians comparative configuration 2.02 vs 2.02.

EQ heads are excellent replacements. We race them in IMCA and after overheating, the abuse that dirt track engines take no cracks.

Seen MANY sets on engines and they work great.

I do know that you won't be putting box stock ede heads on the same shortblocks/engines and seeing the same output as the IMM heads. No way, no how. There are more than a few 400 inchers running these heads making in excess of 500 hp with no work in the runners, just the blending of the top throat cut that Brian does to them. That isn't porting. Same as guys cleaning up the cnc'd opening cuts on ede's, that isn't porting either.

I know people love to price shop stuff, but fail to compare components or ease of install. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks as to not have to clearance rockers etc...

I've said this before, I'll NEVER buy another set of ede's unless they were $500 and I could get them fixed and ported to match the cost of those RHS heads that kill them in Brian's form.

Those EQ heads are good pieces, just put quality machine work and parts in them and they aren't so cheap anymore.

Pick your parts, spend your money.

I run a set of the base 1.90 valve EQ heads from Hughes Engines on my car. They call them Iron RAMs.

I'm pretty impressed to say the least. My car runs pretty good for having less than 1K in cylinder heads.

the beauty thing is that if you've already got a magnum they're a direct bolt on.

I was hoping to accomplish an Actual budget build, a stock-ish 360 with the exception of magnum heads. I bought a core 360 that turned out to be in really good shape, just needing a hone, crank polish and a ton of head work. It was already bored +.030 with H405CP pistons, 8ish:1 compression, and I already had a Magnum core that I thought had good heads, but... So much for my goal to use pieces I already had.

Aluminum was never really in my budget, and not much help for the low compression stove I'm constucting here.
I've still got the 596 heads, but they're so worn out, the EQs might still be cheaper.

EQ's are a better bet than those poorly made edelbrock heads......

You know, you can raise your compression by affordable pistons too, is that an option, or are you stuck on new magnum design heads?

The wore out heads you have, are the valves sunk in? Or are just the guides bad, etc? Valves, springs, seats, locks, and a guide job is a fairly cheap fix, maybe enough left over for your taller pistons? (9-1 would be streetable and sweet)

I bought a core engine from a local machine shop for what was owed on an abandoned job. The heads were worn out, but the block only needed to be re-honed, the crank needed polished, and the rods resized. Add bearings, rings, and ARP bolts, and that's where I am now.
So, now I only have one magnum (that needs work), a pair of 596's (that need lots of work), or I buy some heads. The price of the EQ heads really appealed to me, new magnum-style heads for about the same price as rebuilding my LA heads.

It's funny, I found the Mopar Action article where they flowed every type of magnum head they could get their hands on. The EQ heads flowed best, and were the cheapest, but E-booger picked the aluminum Mopar heads. I sounded like he had made his mind up before the testing, or maybe that's what he could get for free...

GET TH RHS! and be done flow better than both heads and when ported, you can get huge numbers

The EQs are a great head choice for you. I don't subscribe to the Edelbrock bashers as all the sets I've used were fine, but IMO, they are too much money and less expensive heads will do what you need right now. If you foresee the project improving over time, meaning you may want to upgrade pistons, go a bit faster, or build a stroker, then I'd say start with the RHS heads. The actual cost to install isn't bad when you get them with the LA valvetrain. IMO, the magnum valvetrain sucks, and I can't justify the costs just to use it. The head ports are the same regardless of the rocker gear choice.
The EQs will be the least expensive and make great power on a mild 360, and decent power on a more built 360. Most MP heads are simply trash. Not because of the design, but because the execution sucks. The castings are terrible, and the machining is even worse. When you step up to the big dollar top ends, then you can make reealy good power with them. As for anything other than W2 for normal street or race... Avoid them.
The RPMs are good heads, with potential to be better than the RHS heads, but are about 33% more cash to get an assembled head. If you go with the RHS and magnum valvetrain, the cost is almost identical for the RPMs, and you have a heavier head that can't be ported as far as the RPMs can.
That's my opinion anyway.

RHS heads can be ported to 290-300 if I remember correctly ask Brian at IMM

I used the EQ heads from hughes engines (iron rams) and then replaced them with out of the box edelbrock magnums and there was a night and day difference. The edelbrocks without any other changes made the car .4 and 3mph faster.

I used the EQ heads from hughes engines (iron rams) and then replaced them with out of the box edelbrock magnums and there was a night and day difference. The edelbrocks without any other changes made the car .4 and 3mph faster.
doing a 360 magnum now for my son's duster, do you know what the eq heads were flowing? I am also looking at the magnum edelbrock heads

doing a 360 magnum now for my son's duster, do you know what the eq heads were flowing? I am also looking at the magnum edelbrock heads

If you stick with the 1.92 intake valve, the heads are not going to perform as good or better than the Magnum Edelbrock head!

Once you go to the 2.02 valve, and do a good valve job, and blend it in, the EQ and Indy iron head will out perform both Mag. and LA Edelbrock heads OOTB.

We sell both EQ and Indy, and I also sell Edelbrock...nothing wrong with Edelbrock's, they just need port work to make the same power as the iron heads the way we sell them which ends up saving money over the Eddy's. Any of these are FAR better to start with than an OEM head IMO unless your building a very mild budget engine...then the oem heads will win!
Brian

I ran the ones with 1.92 valves but I would have a hard time believing that the Iron rams with 2.02.s would make that big of a change. I have made the change in valve size in other applications and never had that big of gap in performance with no other changes. I'd just buy the edelbrocks if it were me.

The edelbrock heads have a 58 cc chamber and you can buy them like I did with the good springs for the hydraulic roller cam. My iron rams had the hughes 1110 springs and with the same cam would shut down at 6000 rpm. With the edelbrock springs I can twist that hydraulic roller to 6500 witch may be part of the performance gain but I still would have a hard time believing that the 2.02 valve would make the iron ram perform with the edelbrocks.:???:

The edelbrock heads have a 58 cc chamber and you can buy them like I did with the good springs for the hydraulic roller cam. My iron rams had the hughes 1110 springs and with the same cam would shut down at 6000 rpm. With the edelbrock springs I can twist that hydraulic roller to 6500 witch may be part of the performance gain but I still would have a hard time believing that the 2.02 valve would make the iron ram perform with the edelbrocks.:???:

Wrong valve spring on the iron rams. If you can twist it 500 more RPM, that's why it likely picked up.

I have a set of EQ's on the way (bare). The local dealer will sell me the "magnum rocker arm set" (2 rocker arms/2 bolts/2 pivots/1 guide for $11.04 times eight + tax and which I am assuming is the 5/16 bolts setup or should I go with chebby valvetrain or something else? It'll be a circle track app. Thank you for your time.

My camshaft is only 228 236 @ .050 on a 110 seperation, peak hp is about 5800. I'm not sure the extra rpm is getting me anything. Anyway I'm going to put 2.02's in the iron rams and put them on another motor for my sons car so we will get an apples to apples comparison then.

I was just trying to offer my experience with EQ heads, people will always only hear what they want to hear. Fact is the edelbrock heads are more expensive and require chevy rockers but they out perform the eq's. I will never doubt what I see on the my time slips.

-
Back