Anyone build a high RPM 273 using 2.02 size head?

-

gagembassett

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has ever done a hardcore 273 build just for ***** 'n giggles using a 2.02 (or bigger) valve size in a head? Yes, I realize that the block has to be notched among other things and isn't feasible but let's talk 273s for a while.

Whatever a basically stock 66 Commando motor will di is what I’m going with in my 65 Dart wagon. Jim @ Racer Brown ground what is basically a one-off cam for my motor. Will be assembling it soon.

Whatever a basically stock 66 Commando motor will di is what I’m going with in my 65 Dart wagon. Jim @ Racer Brown ground what is basically a one-off cam for my motor. Will be assembling it soon.
good luck getting your cam anytime soon, I put my order in for my hydraulic roller back in October and he barely responds with updates

Oh easily a year ago. It didn’t seem to take that long to get. He only works from about 3 or 4 till 8 or so and best to call him in the afternoon

I seem to remember an old article in one of the Mopar rags of a 1967 Dart convertible. Running a 273 with X heads. Don't remember cam or intake. Want to say damn thing was in the 10's. Do remember that they specifically talked about the bore notch.

Oh easily a year ago. It didn’t seem to take that long to get. He only works from about 3 or 4 till 8 or so and best to call him in the afternoon
my apologies then, I mistook your statement as you had just placed your order

If you want the bigger ports of a 340/360 head, find some that still have the 1.88 valves in them. But be aware that the bigger combustion chambers kill any chance at decent compression unless you can find some custom pistons, options are really limited there. The valve shrouding created from the cylinder notching pretty much negates any benefit of the 2.02s over the 1.88s, and the notches *could* be detrimental in a zero decked motor. Even the 1.88s are crowding things, but they help (even if installed in the small port 273/318 heads).
It's probably been 20 or 30 years since I've screwed together a 273 build, but things haven't changed much for that little guy. It's all about strokers now.

Just curious if anyone has ever done a hardcore 273 build just for ***** 'n giggles using a 2.02 (or bigger) valve size in a head? Yes, I realize that the block has to be notched among other things and isn't feasible but let's talk 273s for a while.
No one here has built a 273 screamer that I know of. . Lot's of 7000 rpm stories but no proof or tachometers were used in the stories. Mine sounds like 10 grand at 5,000. Just sayin'.

I put 340 heads with the 2.02 intakes and 1.60 exhaust on my 273 bracket racer. Lost about 3/10's of a second quarter mile times: Best E.T. with stock 273 heads was 12.72 @ 108 MPH and never broke out of the 13's with the 340 heads. Trap engine speed with 4.56 suregrip and A833 four speed was 6,400 RPM.

65 Valiant2.jpg

408 swinger. I have that article in one of my old mags. I believe it had a mp .508 cam. I'll see if i can find it.

I'd like to hear more about the 273 IQ52 built, I think it was 475 HP @7500 rpm.

I just built a 273 that will spin 8 but lightened my spring load and I keep the rev to 6 as the valve train was really tight and I was afraid that spring pressure was going to wipe out my mechanical cam.
Dyno was 355hp at 8 but with the new lighter springs it was 317hp at 6200rpm.
$10k to make that happen. Stock heads with some porting and stock sized valves. The larger valve will not help much because of the cylinder diameter is so small. Notching the block drops compression a tad.
I love my 273. But there is more HP for the same $ with the bigger CI motor.

Drop some magnum heads on it. 1.916/1.624 and keep some compression. A ~69cc 2.02 J or X head on a 2V 273 is gonna tank the 273's already low compression.

Drop some magnum heads on it. 1.916/1.624 and keep some compression. A ~69cc 2.02 J or X head on a 2V 273 is gonna tank the 273's already low compression.

Came here to say this. Add a nice fully profiled hydraulic roller and I think you'll be set.

matt steens, 66 valient super stocker, has ran 10.30 @ 130 mph. with 273 heads, stock comp ratio, stock stroke, stock carb. has a roller cam, after markrt intake, roller rockers, stock size ports in the heads. just food for thought.

matt steens, 66 valient super stocker, has ran 10.30 @ 130 mph. with 273 heads, stock comp ratio, stock stroke, stock carb. has a roller cam, after markrt intake, roller rockers, stock size ports in the heads. just food for thought.
He was the first person I thought of when I saw this thread. He traps some pretty good RPM.

Now that's something I'd love to see!

-
Back