anyone else a slave to the big man?

-

hemitheus

19? Plymouth Scampenstein
Reaction score
Labor day was great. I love 3 day weekends. Unfortunately, as a salaried employee this means my boss can make me his *****. in the 2 days since (tuesday and wednesday) I have worked 32.5 hours.

Makes me miss being an hourly employee. Id be cracking into the OT tomorrow.

Did salary,as a parts manager,screw it! Went back,to a basic hourly wage parts guy,love it.Let someone else deal with the politics.If it makes you feel any better,worked 9 of the last 11 days.

Oh it could be worse.
You could be self employed like me and do work stuff darn near every waking moment.
It's after 11pm and I just finished my stuff for today.
I took time off to take a drive in the Dart with the wife today,,,,,,20 min to the gas station and back to be ready for the morning appointments.:-k

I'm with you Trailbeast--Self-employed -But remember we have our own business so we are Rich --Right. LOL

i worked all weekend.. got 12 hours of OT on top of straight time for the holiday though.. :) boy do i like working holidays..

Document it next time, and get a lawyer on him. I'm pretty sure there're confidential ways to do this.

Labor day was great. I love 3 day weekends. Unfortunately, as a salaried employee this means my boss can make me his *****. in the 2 days since (tuesday and wednesday) I have worked 32.5 hours.

Makes me miss being an hourly employee. Id be cracking into the OT tomorrow.

You can thank the feds for changing the law from 8 hour days to 40 hour worked weeks before getting paid overtime.

Oh it could be worse.
You could be self employed like me and do work stuff darn near every waking moment.
It's after 11pm and I just finished my stuff for today.
I took time off to take a drive in the Dart with the wife today,,,,,,20 min to the gas station and back to be ready for the morning appointments.:-k

Boy do I hear that!! My problem is that I just don't know when to quit or how to relax anymore. If I'm not doing something productive 24/7 then I feel guilty.

I'm with you Trailbeast--Self-employed -But remember we have our own business so we are Rich --Right. LOL

LMAO Steve! You're soooooooooo right. [cough cough BS BS BS]

Document it next time, and get a lawyer on him. I'm pretty sure there're confidential ways to do this.

Unless Hemi has a written employment contract (most people don't) with specified terms and conditions outlining working hours, the employment is considered to be "at will." That means that he or his employer can terminate the employment at any time for any reason, or for no reason at all. Unfortunately most labor laws are written to provide more protection for the employers than the people who work for them.

Unless Hemi has a written employment contract (most people don't) with specified terms and conditions outlining working hours, the employment is considered to be "at will." That means that he or his employer can terminate the employment at any time for any reason, or for no reason at all. Unfortunately most labor laws are written to provide more protection for the employers than the people who work for them.

Very true on the at will part. In todays environment it is even more so.

Funny, when I saw that you had posted in this thread, I was expecting something a little.... different.

Uh,,,,,,,I wish.
I can't even take a few days off to go somewhere without the bills threatening to catch up to me.

Very true on the at will part. In todays environment it is even more so.

Funny, when I saw that you had posted in this thread, I was expecting something a little.... different.

Sorry to disappoint you Kev. :-D Before I hung my shingle and opened my own business, I worked for lawyers for over 20 years (and the last 8 were spent doing Labor Law). Figured the least I could do was share the bounty. LOL

Ouch. I thought most jobs had such things. I mean, obviously I know a lot who don't, but those are mostly farmers. (I know a lot of farmers). Then again, pretty much the only jobs I have inside knowledge on are farming, engineering (for the federal gov), and nursing :|

Holidays used to be big $$ at the PO, if you wanted it. Had Sunday Monday off, Saturday was my Holiday if the Holiday was a Monday. Holiday pay + paid for being there and even though there was no mail on Monday I got to work. For the last 4 years I was there I managed to make no less than triple my base pay. One of those years it was over 4.25x's my base salary. Take management out of the picture and I was high earner in the plant for 3 years. Course I had no life, 75-80 hours a week. Miss the income but sure as hell do not miss what it took to make it. Toward the end of my time there I had a disciplinary matter that management held a lottery to see who would be the one to sit down with me. My friend Kelly lost out, but when we sat down in the conference room I made her extremely uncomfortable and she bailed.

Uh,,,,,,,I wish.
I can't even take a few days off to go somewhere without the bills threatening to catch up to me.

especially if you are self employed with no employees to keep things going when yu take time off. Still better then working for the man though.

especially if you are self employed with no employees to keep things going when yu take time off. Still better then working for the man though.
My Dad was self employed for over 30 years, the only thing that he did not like was not being able to take time off during the busy season....

My boss asked me to think about going salary, I told him $250K/yr and 4 weeks vacation...........I'm still hourly :D

There are no off days in grad school. I'm at minimum, 60 hours per week working on projects, reading, writing etc.

Boy do I hear that!! My problem is that I just don't know when to quit or how to relax anymore. If I'm not doing something productive 24/7 then I feel guilty.

LMAO Steve! You're soooooooooo right. [cough cough BS BS BS]

I started reading this thread and it made me think about work..... damn you Hemi! LOL

Wouldn't be a bad idea to check the labor laws in your state concerning salaried employees. tmm

I don't quite think it's how you meant it but ... I work 24 - 7, get bossed around by those below me in the chain of command, have to do everyones bidding, errands, cleaning, you name it...

But I wouldn't say slave for my personal circumstance, '65 is substantially bigger than me (14" taller.) Being a parent/spouse is hard work. It really makes me miss being able to work some days.

I do understand! I've had jobs where I have worked 60-90 hours in a week and never got one red cent of overtime pay. It sucks and being salaried they feel they have the right to work you like a dog at some places.

Good luck to all of you having these issues, I know it makes for a long week.

Damn I come here to not think about work. Have worked 40 to 70 hours a week at the same place for 32 years.God I hate my job.Wife dont like to work though.If I had it to do over again I would hold out for a rich babe.

I work for a smaller privately owned transportation company. I'm on hourly but I'm always on call. My time off is not really mine. If a bus goes down, I'm going to work on short notice anytime night or day. Road call. There is no "at the end of the day". I can essentially work all the hours I want. And then the nonstop calls from drivers...
After 17 years the thrill is wearing off and good help is getting more difficult to find especially when the boss don't like to pay much. My right hand man is 73. One of the best real mechanics in my industry. I don't think he has ever complained in the two decades I've known him.

-
Back