Anyone else going through trailer tires this summer?

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
Just replaced my 3rd trailer tire since May. Tires were Carlisles, 3 years old. In all cases the tread separated. My tire dealer says in all his years this is the worst summer he's ever seen for heat related blowouts. I've never had any trouble with Carlisles in the past.

I’ve had many blow outs and found under inflated and over speed is what kills tires. Age is really important. Drive them around at least once a month and keep them covered when not in use really helps.Hard to keep from heating up when it’s been a real summer. I switched to E ply tires where I can and go as tall as possible to keep the revs down. Pulling over every so many hours and letting them cool while I grab an iced coffee or visit the facilities also helps.
Syleng1

Carlisles are total junk. This is no joke. I bought a set and then drove from Grand Junction CO to, wait for it............................. Carlise PA. Then back home. 4000 miles round trip. Blew one tire 20 miles from home and the other 3 were not going to make it another 100 miles. Made it home by the skin of my butt. I've towed loads for decades and everything was in tip top order and made that trip with that load for 10 years. Discount Tire gave me a new set of another brand that lasted for years.

Carlisles are total junk. This is no joke. I bought a set and then drove from Grand Junction CO to, wait for it............................. Carlise PA. Then back home. 4000 miles round trip. Blew one tire 20 miles from home and the other 3 were not going to make it another 100 miles. Made it home by the skin of my butt. I've towed loads for decades and everything was in tip top order and made that trip with that load for 10 years. Discount Tire gave me a new set of another brand that lasted for years.
Would be interested in the brand you went with. Thanks

I don't remember or what I have ones there now which have been good ones. I'll check tomorrow. I have a few trailers.

Damn Carlisle radials, had one blow on my camping trailer, about 2 miles from home leaving to go camping.
The tires were less than 2 years old, destroyed my fender, shoved the heater into the cabin, and took out the steps.
One tire did alot of damage. I even checked the air pressure before leaving the house, lots of fun changing the tire the old fashion way.
Put Goodyear Assurance tires on, the camper handles better, and the tires have gave me no problems.

On a different note, I have Carlisle bias plys on my small enclosed trailer, they are almost 15 years old, have not dry cracked or anything, have plenty of tread so I guess the older ones are better quality. Or the smaller trailer is alot lighter, which takes alot of load off.

Ya mine tore up my fender too. Mine were brand new. Just had bought them a few days before the trip.

Ya mine tore up my fender too. Mine were brand new. Just had bought them a few days before the trip.
I had to take a buffer to the side of the trailer to get the black marks off.

Oh and also mine blew on the left side of my car hauler leaving me on the side of I-70 changing a tire 2' from 80mph traffic. Always a good time.

Oh hell no, at least I was still on the 2 lane road, and the was an oil and gas place, I did it on their gravel parking lot.

If this was an anonymous site, I'd tell you that I NEVER buy trailer tires, light truck tires for my trailer only........

but since it's not, I wont.

I am listening, my car trailer tires are getting wore down.

In my years of towing across the country I been pulled over in NV and TX just because I was in an out of state 1-ton with a trailer and both did a road side inspection.

I tow at the speed limit (mostly), get passed by hundreds of cars and semi's every trip (trailer speed limit in california). In 40 years of towing , no cop has ever had a reason to look at my trailer tires.

We have yearly state inspections in Pa. I don’t know if this particular state policeman would have done anything but I was stopped at a DUI checkpoint in Pa one night. We were backed up some and he already checked me out so he quickly looked over my car trailer. He said he wasn’t doing that type of check tonight but everything looked good and asked if he could show his partner, I’m thinking a new guy. He showed him my crossed chains and breakaway switch then they checked out my tires. He thanked me and said everything looked great.

Carlisle is indeed junk, but if you're buying radial "trailer" tires, that's one problem right there.

I bought my 10,000 pound legal 26 foot trailer for my birthday (March) of 2017. I went with 16 inch tires for this very reason. I just had one tire go bad a month ago. I luckily caught it at home so that was an easy fix Luther than the 200.00 cost. The rest will hopefully get changed out next spring. I race quite a bit so that’s pretty good for factory tires.

Playing the trailer tire game in the desert sucks… from May until late September our tires are stored inside. It’s not uncommon to see road surface temps in the 150’s and on our stops tire temps can be in the 160’s. Our old trailer had 15” tires and we tried everything, but anything over two years and you were dancing with the devil. Our 28’ cargo mate has 16” wheels and while better we still had some issues that is until I bought these “G” rated tires. We’re on our 4th season with them and at 90psi cold have been a godsend!! Speed rating of 75mph (65-70 is where we spend most our time). These have a load index of 4409lb @ 110psi.
I wouldn’t buy an enclosed trailer, camper, or toy hauler with 15” wheels.

IMG_3602.jpeg

IMG_1920.jpeg

-
Back