Anyone ever done dyno check Holley vs. Edelbrock?

-
I have never seen a dyno comparison, and my comparisons aren't exactly fair. I ran an Eddy 650 that I loved. I ran and Eddy 850 that lit that motor up but was really too much carb. Once on and set I never had to tinker with an Edelbrock. I run a Holley 750 DP now. I feel it has less power, but it is 100 cfm less than the Eddy. I mess with adjustments all the freakin' time on the Holley.

Have a holley 4500 on my daily driver....lol haven't touched it since i put it on...runs great...even sideways....lol

This is a copy of the link forphorty posted..

383 dyno final results....fast68plymouth

383dynoCarbs.jpg

hope it helps

The old carter did well considering the flow difference.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/fuel/9.html

Holley carbs:
dry----CWF----carb
743.8/684.2--4778-2/700DP-stock
838.3/771.2--4779-2/750DP-stock
845.4/777.8--4780-1/800DP-stock
934.0/859.2--4781-2/850DP--no choke tower
838.2/771.1--80508-2/750VS-stock
834.6/767.8--3310-2/750VS-stock(downleg)

modified Holley Carbs:
dry----CWF----carb
984.4/905.6--CFS 905, ported 850DP annular
976.5/898.4--BG 9380S3 annular
912.2/839.2--Proform body w/HP baseplate
931.3/856.7--PRH 950HP, Braswell boosters, blended and polished venturi, BG baseplate

BG Claw/Demon carbs:
1000.7/920.6-BG Gold Claw "1025" downleg
964.1/886.9--BG Gold Claw "825" downleg
980.5/902.0--BG Gold Claw "750" annular
980.4/901.9--BG Silver Claw "1000" downleg
947.7/871.8--Speed Demon 850DP

Carter/Edelbrock carbs:
647.4/595.5--69 383 AVS-stock
617.9/568.4--Comp series 625 AFB
767.1/705.3--Comp series 750 AFB
756.2/695.7--Ebrock 1407 750
647.6/595.8--Ebrock 1406 600

That chart sure wont sell any Speed Demon 850's.....5HP better than a Carter 750?

But the speed demon 850 is only less than 2 hp less than the top dog 905. These are dyno numbers. You put it in a car, on the track, and you may see some different results. The Edelbrocks have a heat soak problem, and they have small float bowls, and the accelerator pump has minimal adjustment. Not desirable on a high performance engine. If you have to keep adjusting a Holley, something is wrong. I have a 750 Demon on my 64 Fury, and a 600 Holley on my Comet, and I can't tell you the last time I had to adjust them.Either you have a dirty fuel system(holleys seem to be very sensitive to this) or you need to study up on how to tune one. One of the recurring statements I hear is "how many turns out should the fuel mixture screws be?" they can be set initially at 1 1/2 to 2 turns out, but they need to be fine tuned with a vacuum gauge or tach, setting them to highest vacuum/rpm, then reset the idle. This after the timing is set.

I install Holleys all the time, (replacing Eddys), and wouldn't be doing so,, if the very happy customer had to keep bringing it back for "fiddling''..

Once set,, they usually are good to go,, as good as any other carb..

And I've never been to a swap meet where I couldn't pick up one or two 750/780 Holleys for around a $100..

I wouldn't pay $700 for an enhanced "Holley",, when you can pick up 3310's for a few bucks,, kit them,, and use em.. my .02 ,,

the dyno chart speaks for itself..

Back in the 70's we sold lots of Carters to people who were tired of playing with Holleys. They were mostly the 625 cfm performance series with electric choke. If it wasn't a race car, people loved the switch to Carter even if they lost a tiny bit of performance.

I install Holleys all the time, (replacing Eddys), and wouldn't be doing so,, if the very happy customer had to keep bringing it back for "fiddling''..

Once set,, they usually are good to go,, as good as any other carb..

And I've never been to a swap meet where I couldn't pick up one or two 750/780 Holleys for around a $100..

I wouldn't pay $700 for an enhanced "Holley",, when you can pick up 3310's for a few bucks,, kit them,, and use em.. my .02 ,,

the dyno chart speaks for itself..
Yes 3310's are hard to beat all around...just off the butt dyno the holley spanked the eddie...now the older avs and afbs were some decent carbs,the new eddies not so much even tho I have a newer one on my ramchgr it's coming off soon for a thermoquad or an avs...

Yes 3310's are hard to beat all around...just off the butt dyno the holley spanked the eddie...now the older avs and afbs were some decent carbs,the new eddies not so much even tho I have a newer one on my ramchgr it's coming off soon for a thermoquad or an avs...

If you have the old 780 cfm 3310,, as I, and many others do,,. A coupla more ponys there as well...

Walk through the pits at your local dragstrip and look for yourself....probably over 95% Holley style carbs. Most of the rest will probably have something different due to race class restrictions.....there is a reason most racers use a Holley style carb....

By the way, I have had multiple Holley's over the years, and I have never had to constantly tinker with any of them to make them work right. Once I have it set right, it's good for years to come. I have, however, talked to guys that make the "I have to constantly mess with this Holley" claim, but so far I have not met one that really knew what they were doing with the carb in the first place....JMO.

Walk through the pits at your local dragstrip and look for yourself....probably over 95% Holley style carbs. Most of the rest will probably have something different due to race class restrictions.....there is a reason most racers use a Holley style carb....

By the way, I have had multiple Holley's over the years, and I have never had to constantly tinker with any of them to make them work right. Once I have it set right, it's good for years to come. I have, however, talked to guys that make the "I have to constantly mess with this Holley" claim, but so far I have not met one that really knew what they were doing with the carb in the first place....JMO.

xx's 2

With that logic we should all be racing chevy's! There are more chevy's being raced so thats an endorsement for a superior product..........

Hysteric

I used to be afraid of holley style carbs because I didn't know how to work on them and I knew the edelbrocks inside and out. what made me try a holley style carb was I was tired of dealing with the vaccum leaks at the throttle shafts on edelbrock carburetors. I have owned 3 edelbrock carburetors I bought all 3 brand new. 2 of them were 600cfm performers and 1 was a 650 avs. They all 3 had vaccum leaks at the throttle shafts.
I bought a Quick Fuel super street series 680cfm vaccum secondary carburetor and no more vaccum leaks at the throttle shafts. And I learned how they operate very fast, and the thing I like about the holley style carbs is way more adjustability. I did notice an improvement in throttle response with this quick fuel, it wasn't a dramatic increase but noticeable. the thing I like more edelbrock is they are easier to work on, you can access jets and metering rods and springs and floats with out getting drenched in fuel.
If you want a simple carburetor that doesn't require a lot of attention get an edelbrock, if you want to squeeze every last bit of power out of your ride and you enjoy tuning and enjoy dialing in a carburetor to where it is 100 percent on the money get a holley style carburetor.

-
Back