Anyone ever run Speedmaster Heads on their small blocks

-
I am going to try to order a set of bare heads tomorrow. If I get a set I will put a set of my Edelbrock valves in them and flow test them. I will then port one intake port and give flow numbers after several mods. Valve job, Open pinch, straighten common wall, chamber work, short side widening, etc. I will also post some air speed numbers

Any interest in looking at a set of the cnc ones for comparison?

Just a thought here but since we have flow numbers for Edelbrock heads, TrickFlow, ProMaxx, ProMaxx Shocker, Speedmaster, and possibly a couple more do you think we could get someone that is good with spreedsheet
To make up a nice list and pin it in the small block area. Maybe make it so it could be modified by a “Mod only” so it doesn’t get trashed up.

Do you have all the number without searching all of the threads to find them?
someone that is good at this stuff wouldn't take them long if they had all the info on one post.

Or do we all need to go searching for the information to post in one thread?

Just a thought here but since we have flow numbers for Edelbrock heads, TrickFlow, ProMaxx, ProMaxx Shocker, Speedmaster, and possibly a couple more do you think we could get someone that is good with spreedsheet
To make up a nice list and pin it in the small block area. Maybe make it so it could be modified by a “Mod only” so it doesn’t get trashed up.

Wasn't there a thread on Speed Talk (may have been yellow bullet) where they took one head, flowed it and then it was shipped around the country and flowed by anyone who was willing to pay the shipping to the next guy. Or something like that.

Anyway, when all was said and done, I think there was said and done, I think there was a 2% difference across all the benches from all over the country.

I point this out because if the guy operating the bench isn't an outright liar, or his bench isn't junk and he is using Audie or Performance Trends you can use flow numbers to look at general tendencies among several heads and across several benches.

Still not the only numbers I'd like to see, but it at least gives you a starting point.

Wasn't there a thread on Speed Talk (may have been yellow bullet) where they took one head, flowed it and then it was shipped around the country and flowed by anyone who was willing to pay the shipping to the next guy. Or something like that.

Anyway, when all was said and done, I think there was said and done, I think there was a 2% difference across all the benches from all over the country.

I point this out because if the guy operating the bench isn't an outright liar, or his bench isn't junk and he is using Audie or Performance Trends you can use flow numbers to look at general tendencies among several heads and across several benches.

Still not the only numbers I'd like to see, but it at least gives you a starting point.

Bruce the guy from Pa that sells prints to make your own flowbench and supplies to do so did the “pass around challenge” where he made up. Calibrated plate and sent the around to whoever wanted to join in. Only he knew what the true numbers were on the plate and then everyone sent their numbers in. Much cheaper and easier than shipping a head around the country. That is what made me sell my manometer bench and build my third of three benches I’ve owned

Do you have all the number without searching all of the threads to find them?
someone that is good at this stuff wouldn't take them long if they had all the info on one post.

Or do we all need to go searching for the information to post in one thread?

Here's the list of heads. Yes, the website is a pain.
ALERT!! SOUND THE ALARM!!..

Bruce the guy from Pa that sells prints to make your own flowbench and supplies to do so did the “pass around challenge” where he made up. Calibrated plate and sent the around to whoever wanted to join in. Only he knew what the true numbers were on the plate and then everyone sent their numbers in. Much cheaper and easier than shipping a head around the country. That is what made me sell my manometer bench and build my third of three benches I’ve owned

I knew it was something like that. Was I correct in my recollection of the spread across all the benches????

I think just the basic flow number is what most on here would like to see.
YES there is more to it then the numbers......but it's where you start.

We could start a new thread and take about all of that. And it would go for days, with 50 peoples opinions and all being slightly different then the next.
I for one would jump right on that thread as many other would too. Just don't think this it that thread

I just called and they were even having a hard time getting the free shipping to come up. He's supposed to call me later for billing info. LOL.

If someone local buys a set I will flow test them for free.

I can do that when I get home tonight, if anyone wants to quote this comment with a link to any of the numbers that were posted, save me from having to find them all.

Should be easy to put them all in, and toss in a graph as well.

Few different sources (SM cast from PRH, SM CNC from another user, Promaxx from their site)

The flow numbers from promaxx seem optimistic vs what Pittsburghracer gave me, but he has intake numbers only, so I'm going to leave them for now.

Graphs Added.

Last edited:
I bit the bullet and ordered a non-cnc set today. I figure they will probably be an improvement over my stock '915 J heads that I have on my 340 now.

I bit the bullet and ordered a non-cnc set today. I figure they will probably be an improvement over my stock '915 J heads that I have on my 340 now.

Anyone have any flow specs of the 915's? It would be fun to compare.

Anyone have any flow specs of the 915's? It would be fun to compare.
Bigger/ better than a stock J head.

Stock J head: ................. Speedmaster as cast:
.100 62/47 .................... 64/49
.200 112/99 ..................... 120/97
.300 157/128 .................... 176/134
.400 193/137 ..................... 221/153
.500 200/140 .................... 240/164
.600 201/141 .................... 250/168

Bigger/ better than a stock J head.

Stock J head: ................. Speedmaster as cast:
.100 62/47 .................... 64/49
.200 112/99 ..................... 120/97
.300 157/128 .................... 176/134
.400 193/137 ..................... 221/153
.500 200/140 .................... 240/164
.600 201/141 .................... 250/168
I have 596 heads now with a little work done to them.. this looks like it would be a good Improvement for me...

I have 596 heads now with a little work done to them.. this looks like it would be a good Improvement for me...
A huge improvement over my 675 318 heads. They are open chamber with around 9:1.

I can hardly wait till 318 goes through his..
I'm on this truck project and when I get on one thing I stay on it like a dog with a bone. I know way too many people who have themselves scattered about too many projects...
Gentlemen- I do one thing at a time, I do it very well, and then I move on...
Charles Emerson Winchester the third...

It looks like the exhaust port needs a little work

Considering sending my CNC heads out, both for updated flow numbers (the cast and CNC numbers seem kind of close, so I'm curious) as well as to have some chamber/exhaust work done, and maybe a good valve job. Gotta make a phone call tomorrow.

-
Back