Anyone ever run Speedmaster Heads on their small blocks

-
The heads on Speedmaster's website state that they are pushrod oiled, which is fine for a magnum motor but not an LA. Am I mistaken?

The heads on Speedmaster's website state that they are pushrod oiled, which is fine for a magnum motor but not an LA. Am I mistaken?

They oil thru the heads...they are LA heads.....believe me i got a few sets...The aluminum heads are LA heads...
They sell a cast iron head that is a copy of the magnum...got a set of them....

set coming out of box...you can see the pedestals for the shafts.. and a set bolted on to a 360 short block with crane/mp rockers...

20190917_191333_resized.jpg

20190506_151808_resized.jpg

So, if I were to get these, would I have problems with compression ratio? I'm currently running cast iron J heads and am getting about 175 psi. It is my understanding that these are closed chamber, so wouldn't that be smaller than the old J heads?

Not 100%, but I think .008 and I'm running the Fel-Pro 1008 gasket which is supposed to give .039 compressed.

Last edited:
Is the CNC version worth the extra money?

There are so many of these Speedmaster posts going this has already been answered but I’ll do it again. Anyone with a die grinder can carve on a set of heads. The can turn out piss poor, ok, or excellent. A cnc program can be made from any of the above so you never know how good it is till you at least at a minimum see flow sheets from it. The numbers should be on par with a TrickFlow Head but I’m betting it’s not close to the numbers they put out and both are a 190 cc intake runner.

There are so many of these Speedmaster posts going this has already been answered but I’ll do it again. Anyone with a die grinder can carve on a set of heads. The can turn out piss poor, ok, or excellent. A cnc program can be made from any of the above so you never know how good it is till you at least at a minimum see flow sheets from it. The numbers should be on par with a TrickFlow Head but I’m betting it’s not close to the numbers they put out and both are a 190 cc intake runner.
betting..... hoping....:rolleyes:
pullhair.gif

-
Back