anyone get car craft or hot rod

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I got an email offer to get the two mags for pretty cheap....I was thinking of subscribing because I will only own mopar but I like any muscle car.

They seem like good mags for what they are and cheap.

Does anyone else get them. If so. .. do you like them? ?

I have a few hot rod mags that I picked up here and there. I like em. Freiburger from Roadkill is editor or something or another for hotrod.

I got an email offer to get the two mags for pretty cheap....I was thinking of subscribing because I will only own mopar but I like any muscle car.

They seem like good mags for what they are and cheap.

Does anyone else get them. If so. .. do you like them? ?

If I want to fall asleep I read those issues.....snooze city baby and mostly Chevy crap anyways. I bet you would like Mopars Collectors guide, it has classified ads, also cool oddball Mopars you don't always see....it's the only mag I get anymore :glasses7:

I used to get Hot Rod! I let that subscription go, it was a boring mag IMO. Nothing of interest for me. I agree with Keith, MCG magazine is a good choice!

I don't know kiddo, I just don't know. When I was in my 20's I bought these things by the ton. Of course "then" was no internet.

Some of the info in those is just plain wrong. I can STILL remember (CC?) had a 32/ 34 coupe project, and I can STILL remember the article on building the driveshaft. Whoever they took it to cut the shaft in the MIDDLE OF THE TUBE!!!!

Also, and to this day I WISH I had saved this, and I CAN STILL remember when it came up This was 70-74, in the RADAR shop lounge. We were slurring coffee, soda, and BSing each other on how great things were. I just happened to "fall" on a small rectangle in the back of one of the mags, which said, to cut it short "we lie."

It SAID that "when we test cars, we often don't have time to ring them out properly, tune them, and sometimes they have been abused previously. And sometimes "track conditions" aren't the bast. So we PRINT ESTIMATED TIMES.

GAWUD I wish I had that in plastic!!!!

There are of course interesting ideas, advertisements for (sometimes LOL) useful products All I'm saying is, keep your eyes open and you seem to be smart enough to do that!!

they are offering a free cap too ....I would probably never wear it because I like big hair but hey if they want to give me free stuff ......their ad campaign might work :violent2:

mopar collectors guide does sound good but they want more money for a year than the other guys want for two years for the TWO!!!

plus MCG is offering a free T-shirt ....but of course only in the big sizes :protest:

I get both of them. Like you said you can subscribed to both for like $7 each. The Mopar mags are all about $30 a year. That said both mags lean towards the bow tie crowd. Something to read in the crapper. :D

I have been reading Car Craft for a few years. Not a lot of Mopar content, but I am learning a lot about engines, particularly the newer stuff that i would otherwise have no exposure to. I think they are a lot more reliable as a technical source than they were 20 years ago. And they do focus on DIY projects, not pie-in-the-sky money-is-no-object creations like the TV shows. They just built a Duster drag car that is pretty cool.

I just subscribed to MCG. It's not really comparable -- it's more like a Mopar-only version of Hemmings. Good if you buy and sell a lot.

I get both, and have for years. Good reading for the "reading room", lol. Of the two, I prefer Car Crap. Little more humor and a little more low buck than Shot Rod. In between the Shivvy articles, both offer glimpses into trends that I wouldn't see otherwise. And CC is building a Demon with a late model HEMI. For the price, I seldom get an issue that I don't feel was worth my eighty cents!

I get Hot Rod and only because of the cheap prescription price. They report more Mopar articles than they used to. As always, not a bad magazine. Nice to see what the competition is up to. tmm

they are offering a free cap too ....I would probably never wear it because I like big hair but hey if they want to give me free stuff ......their ad campaign might work :violent2:

You buy them cheap because they support chevies and mustangs Rainy. There are SOOO MANY chevies and mustangs that anything related to them is a dozen times cheaper than the Mopar related item.
You might get two to eight skimpy Mopar articles a year. Paint, body work, new tech, etc., & the descriptions of processes might be worth it for you-who cares about the glamorous crap they give you. Some things that they explain might be good for a novice like me, but Rainy, you have 30-40 thousand Mopar enthusiasts at your finger tips here.

Since you are one of like five Mopar ladies that visit this site (so, a celebrity), there is nothing in the realm of education in those magazines that A, either you already know, or B, someone here couldn't tell you in a matter of minutes. Walk by the magazine stand, thumb threw it, and save yourself the trash.

Mopar Collectors Guide is hands down the best, IMO. Less builds, larger magazine-more advertisement, they cover a tremendous amount of the latest Mopar products, there are thousands of Mopar cars, and parts listed like a car trader magazine. They do highlight some off beat products/builds/tech.

Mopar Enthusiast is pretty good, but they have a small budget. These guys highlighted the 60's Barracuda fiberglass body & stroker poly318 build, they enjoy going off the beaten path

Mopar Action has THE BEST TECH -of any of them, from Richard Ehrenberg, but many of their major feature cars are all high dollar, unobtainable rides (for us poor people). This magazine is NOT A MONTHLY issue. They run series-stories that take several issues to cover (best cheap magnum build, for example)
Richard Ehrenberg (& IQ52!) let me and RustyRatRod pick his brain about Mopars for over two hours at the car show-completely awesome for a junior enthusiast as myself. I think Rob liked it too except I forgot to introduce him :(

Mopar Muscle is pretty good, showcases almost all the latest Mopar products, lots of high dollar builds, but not entirely, -Steve Dulcich is their tech editor and he is great. Their main writer Randy Bolig has blown the motor in his Blue B-body, and the stroker small block in his white valiant (if I remember correctly) so I am not sure if they are pushing the envelope or cutting corners or something. I always feel that their articles are almost a sales pitch of new products vice showing us solid (or new tech) builds. AMC's are showcased. Their staff is pretty good at the car show, if they are not rushing towards their own agenda.

In regards to the sales-pitch statement, I get the feeling that because we are such a small community in comparison of the Chevy/Mustang crowd, we are going to get sales pitch builds waaaaay more often than the more common makes (I. E. SBC, LS, BBC, BBF, modular, 302's...) in order to financially keep the magazine afloat-especially in this economy.

10 years of magazine reading while underwater is where most of this perspective came from.

I get car craft, hot rod, and mopar muscle. I like them and I'll keep renewing them. I'm only 25 and my parents where never in to cars so my only exposure to old cars is through my uncle, the Internet, my car, and these magazines. Unlike a lot of the members here, I haven't seen and done it all yet so the mags are pretty fresh and cool to me, worth the subscription price IMHO.

X3 to DNasty777!!!! At 21 years old I learn something new all the time about these cars or cars in general!!

Been subscribing to Hot Rod since I was about 12 years old! That's like 47 years straight, without a break. I think I'll keep it, even though a lot of what they put in there is either repetitive, or irrelevant these days. But it is so darn cheap, I think it is still worthwhile. I used to get at least ten different car mags, but have let it slip to just 3 now: Hot Rod, Car & Driver, and Rodder's Journal. A little bit of everything I guess.

I get both Hot Rod and Car Craft. As others have said, there isn't near as much Mopar content as there is the other brands, but I believe you can learn something that pertains to your Mopar building from the others as well.
Along that line of thinking, I also get Street Rodder magazine even though I will never build a classic street rod. I get it to go through it looking for ideas - there's always some great details and tips you can pick up from each issue.

I let Car Craft die.

I'm going to let Hot Rod die when the subscription expires.

I get more info off the internet now.

If you do get it, DON'T USE A CREDIT CARD

They'll put you on auto-renewal and automatically renew you at a much higher rate.......

Used to subscribe to both,at that 10.00 a year subscription price. The writing know how & talent, left years ago.

mopar collectors guide does sound good but they want more money for a year than the other guys want for two years for the TWO!!!

plus MCG is offering a free T-shirt ....but of course only in the big sizes :protest:

If you sign up for Mopar Collector Guide at a show, they will throw in a new t-shirt.... :cheers:

You could probably use a new t-shirt as you missed the last order for the FABO shirts... :poke:

When I go to the Nats, that's the first thing that I do is to find all of the Mopar Mag vendors and sign up and get my free t-shirts.... :glasses7:

Used to back in the day, now its mostly online..... HotRod Network owns a bunch of magazines from muscle car review, mopar muscle, roadkill, carcraft etc...... They post their articles on facebook and online to get you hooked. But you can read their content for free. Easy way is like their facebook page and they post articles daily to their feed. They do put ads in. As the paper goes by the way side they are putting articles on line with ads too keep revenue coming in. You can still read the articles free. here is a link to a couple of their brands:

http://www.hotrod.com/car-craft-magazine/

http://www.hotrod.com/mopar-muscle-magazine/

http://www.hotrod.com/muscle-car-review/

You can also select their other magazines from the page and read on for free from a phone or tablet. Just select Network brands and it pulls up the list. Read what you want without the subscription. The HotRod Network of magazines and the SuperChevy network of magazines as well as the 4wheeler magazines and diesel power etc is all owned by the super powerhouse Aftermarket Auto group Known as: TEN the Enthusiast Network. They are slowly gobbling up
All the magazine companies. And adding it to their portfolio.

If you do get it, DON'T USE A CREDIT CARD

They'll put you on auto-renewal and automatically renew you at a much higher rate.......

Good info...

I can't stand when companies think that they can keep charging your cards WITHOUT your permission... :finga:

There is a local car wash here, I signed up when washes were $12.99 per month... They want to use your credit card and auto renew every month. They also have a card for their company that you have to scan to get your discount for gas for being a monthly car wash customer. :D

they have since upped their price to $16.99 per month, and then $19.99 per month. They started charging me the $19.99 per month without notifying me for 2 out of 4 of my vehicles. Luckily I set up a separate account for "monthly charge" and internet purchases that I only keep enough money in them to cover those bills. :)

When I caught the increased price and asked why, they said that they no longer offer the $12.99 wash... I said that's what I signed up for and you have no right to increase the price without notifying me especially when you are on "auto pay" with my credit card. They tole me that they no longer have an option for the $12 wash in the computer any more.
So I dropped the two washes that they increased the price for, and keep an eye to make sure that I get the $12 per month for my two other washes. As soon as they try to increase the price of those, I already told them that I will cancel.... :finga:

Now they have a "NEW" company card that they want you to link to your bank account... I asked them if they are going to give me a key to the cash register and the safe. They said "no". So I told them "Stay out of my bank account, you've already proven that you can't be trusted"... :finga:

I'm to the pointw with them that if they pull any more ****, I will cancel all of my washes and get my gas somewhere else, even though they usually are cheapest around. I can go to the Shell station across the street who is usually close to their price if they want to be assholes about it.... I don't put up with that crap.... :finga:

Once they get the money out of your account, it's like pulling teeth to get it back...

My local gym tried that on me also. I had two memberships as my oldest son was not allowed to be on our "family" plan anymore as he was "too old"... One month my "internet" account went below balance and I asked why. They decided that I wanted to subscribe to their monthly fitness magazine without my permission. Well, the $4.50 charge for the magazine overdrafted my account by $0.50 and the bank charged me a $40 overdraft fee, which they refused to reimburse me for. So I went to the bank and told them about the problem at the gym and had a new card issued with another number so the gym can't charge me anymore and I pay my monthly dues in cash so they don't get my new card number. I stole towels to compensate for the charges that I incurred on their behalf They work great for washing my car.... :D

One way or another I get even.... :twisted:

Oh yeah, car craft and hot rod are pro chevy and ford, and pretty much throw in a token mopar once in a while....

Not worth it...

-
Back