Anyone have 17 inch mustang wheels on their mopar ?

-

grassy

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an 1 1/4 wheel adapter on my rear and they fit perfectly. Today, I tried the rim on the front and the rim is hitting the UCA. I am not sure a spacer would work..would I need an adapter instead. I had hear that all I need was 1/4 to 1/2 inch spacer..

Is there any way to measure ?

Thanks
ian.

Good threads...I usually don't have good luck with the search function.

Thanks.
Ian.

Odd. My post disappeared.

Again.

This thread really helped. https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

My wheel backspace 2 1/4
wheel width 9
wheel center 4 1/2
offset negative 2 1/4

What I don't understand is the majority of mustang rims being talked about are have a backspace of 5.72. What I have seem to be quite different.

I have the 73+ front disk brake. I am assuming I need a spacer or adapter.

That size rim fits on this unit or what do I need to make this fit ?

Thanks
ian.

I should mention that I read the three other threads closely but they never answered the question...what size rims with what back spaces will fit the mopar setup.

Is my math correct ?

Thanks
ian.

Oh dang. And I'm sure I saw it in the title, too. Sorry.

Reason I asked is there is a maximum backspacing depending on the rim diameter. A 16" rim has to be shallower than a 17" to fit. I thought maybe you had a 16" rim with a deeper backspacing.

I know the 17" rim with a 5.72" BS, 30mm offset works. Sometimes the outer tierod hits the rim, but you are talking about the upper control arm.

Might help if you verified some numbers. Something doesn't make sense. If you really do have 2.25" of BS and a negative 2.25" offset, you have a pretty deep dish wheel. And it would stick out of the front of your car a good 2.5-3". Can't believe it would fit in the back, either, for the same reason. Need to know what year they wheesl came off, too.

Looked at your link, did you maybe take some measurements from the front of the wheel to the mounting surface to get the 2.25" BS? Should be from the back of the wheel.

Factory contorl arms or aftermarket?

I might add, the 17x8, 5.72" BS, +30mm offset works, as does the 17x9, 5.94 BS (I think), +24mm offset. These are mostly late 90's and early 2000's wheels. Don't remember when offset's changes.

DionR,

We have almost identical cars...ours is a '75 with a 360. The front disks are from a 73+ Dart.

I wonder about my calculations as well. The rims are off a '07 mustang gt. Actually, mine.

On my rear, I have a 1 1/4 adapter. The wheels / rims are a tight fit but no contact that I can see with the springs.

When I try to fit the rims on the front, first contact is with the uca.

According to the above link, the backspace is from the front of the wheel to the mounting surface. From the backside, I get 6 1/2 inch. So, would that make a positive 1 3/4 offset ?

Nothing is simple...

Ian.

Neither of my calculations fit with the handy dandy backspace to offset conversion chart provided...

Ok. You have a 17x8 wheel, not a 17x9. Width is inside the bead, not outside.

Backspacing is measured from the back of the wheel, not front.

Your offset is +45mm, a rough calculation says your backspacing is about 6.27", so your 6.5" is probably accurate for a backspacing.

Those wheels wont fit the front of the car without something like a .5-.75" spacer. Pretty sure someone smarter than me determined that the 5.71" BS wheels are about the most you can run with a 17" wheel and no spacer. More than that and you have interference with the upper contorl arm or tie rod end (which you already discovered).

Thank you for clearing this up...i am a real newbie when it comes to wheels...

I knew I was doing something wrong.

I am thinking that with a spacer, i will not have contact with anything ...but with a spacer that large, don;t you have to go to an adapter so the nuts fit correctly ? or do you buy larger studs ?

Is there a good way to test this..perhaps washers on the studs ?

Thanks
ian.

sure, you can use washers to get the spacer size dialed in. having said that, i was kinda nervous using 3/4" billet spacers with longer studs on my car. I'd be a wreck worrying about spacers that were over 1" thick, just me i guess.
you're better off getting the older wheels with 5.72" bs and limit the thickness of your spacer on the rear. the fronts shouldn't need them.

What I don't understand is the majority of mustang rims being talked about are have a backspace of 5.72. What I have seem to be quite different.

what year rim do you have??? the 5.72 backspace bullitt wheel is a 2001 wheel.. newer wheels (forget what year) went with more backspace...

Somewhere around 5.7 is max backspacing for a 17" rim on a 73-73 A-body disk brake setup.

I ran some 17x8 5.6 backspacing rims and I felt that was about max. It also depends on the particular rim itself. Some have an different inside contour than others.

Your offset is +45mm, a rough calculation says your backspacing is about 6.27", so your 6.5" is probably accurate for a backspacing.

I guess buying new is always an option but I own these and they have great rubber so my point is to try to make them fit. The rims are off a '07 mustang gt.

I agree with the comment about spacers and larger studs. Adapters seem to be a better choice after 1/2 inch.

A couple of pics:

Here is a pic of the rear. I have an adapter of 1 1/4 inch. it is converting from sbp to lbp as well. It is tight but do able.

_IGP8338-XL.jpg

i went out and bought enough washers to stack 1/2 inch on all studs. I guess it didn't matter much...here is a pic.

_IGP8333-XL.jpg
_IGP8333-L.jpg

The first problem with the front fitment was that my center hole is not large enough. I have heard of this problem before so I wasn't surprised. Regardless, I couldn't get it on very far.

The second problem was that the rim is still in contact with the UCA.

If I go to 1 or 1 1/4 like the rear, will the tire still fit into the wheel well. I was under the impression from several threads I have read here and elseware, all I would need is 1/4 to 1/2 inch spacer.

Ian.

Highly recommend everybody ditch the 17's and just go 18's. Go through the hastle of just running 18x9's on all 4. 32-36mm bs will work fine and are readily available. 275/35/18's and 255/35/18's are every where and affordable. No advantage to 17's especially trying to fit them on the front.

The problem is, I barely like the look of 17's and short sidewalls, except for some combos, I don't know how I'd ever find an 18" tire I'd like. I HATE that "Foose" ****

1000174_10151475848575885_822216311_n.jpg

Highly recommend everybody ditch the 17's and just go 18's. Go through the hastle of just running 18x9's on all 4. 32-36mm bs will work fine and are readily available. 275/35/18's and 255/35/18's are every where and affordable. No advantage to 17's especially trying to fit them on the front.

Thats what I did, I just did'nt want the ford wheels.

Can you post the height and width of each tire? I am upgrading to 17" or 18" but I want to try and keep the same tire height and the width on the back, or close to it.
Thanks

Er....back to my question please.

The 17's are free including the rubber. An adapter or spacer for the 2 fronts will not cost nearly as much as new rimes / tires. I don't especially like these rims ( There was a reason I took them off my car) but this is a budget build.

The question at hand is how do I make these puppies work ? I understand that they are a PITA but they are my only option I have at the moment. I have a friend actually donating a second set of 17 inch rubber (45s) to the car as spares.

Is anyone running a 17 inch Mustang gt wheel 92005 -2009) out there and what did you have to do ?

Ian.

Here is a pic of my '67 R/T with 17x7 on the front and 17x8 on the rear. I like the look and stance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 698
-
Back