Anyone have a Hemi Ram ?

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Im looking at buying a 2002-2006 quad cab 1500 series Ram with a 5.7L to replace my 3.9L 98 Dakota sport. Anything I should look out for ?

I've got a 2006. I love it, but they suck on gas mileage......

100_0679.jpg

Ditto on the gas mileage, my 2005 gets 15 mpg mixed and 17 mpg on highway. It's for sale if you are interested: 2005 Quad Cab, 4X4, with Daytona Package, <5,000 miles. Reason for selling: getting Company Truck

I have a 2004 2wd quadcab I bought new and I love it.
I have changed the plugs the oil and the tires. That's it!:cheers:

Adam I'm in the same market right now...the old truck just isn't gonna make it much longer at 170K miles

My Dakota gets about the same gas millage as the Rams get so thats no big deal. I had a 2500 series out for a while yesterday and the power of the Hemi was awesome compared to my 3.9L that has trouble doing 65 on the highway.

The Dakota just hit 90,000, Its still looks great, runs smooth but its under powered, Trans is starting to show signs of being on its way out and it needs a few grand in other repairs.

I have an 03 but it has the 5.9 (360). Gas mileage sucks also. I like the truck and have not had any trouble with it.

DSC01556.jpg

What was the first year of the Hemi and what year did the 4.7L replace the 5.9L

First year for the Hemi in the 1500 is late 2003. It was available in the heavier trucks earlier. I would say that the 4.7 replaced the 318, and the Hemi replaced the 360. Don't get a full sixe with a 4.7. It's underpowered, and only gets about 1 mpg better mileage.

Here's my 2004 right after I bought it four years ago.

MVC-944F.JPG

The only thing I don't like is the 5-speed automatic. I's rather go back to the 4-speed auto I had in my 98. You can't turn the overdrive off, so it hunts between 3rd and 4th on the passes.

If the 5.7 is anything like the 5.9, check to make sure the plenum gasket is ok. Look down into the throttle body looking for puddles of oil.

Different intake design then the 5.9s.

The truck Im looking for is a quad cab 4X4 sport with a Hemi. I told the dealer Im working with no 4.7s

My old Jeep had a 5.2 with a leaking intake and it didnt look like fun to change it.

How much do they weigh? The Hemi quad cab 1500 4x4, I mean.

I know my truck isn't a quad cab, but in case anyone cares, I drove it across the scales at work the other day, and it was 5280 pounds with me in it. That means the truck is like, 5030 pounds-ish.

Another thing I'm not thrilled with is the shocks. I just got done swapping the rears. I may do the fronts soon, depending on my opinion of the new rears.

My brother has an 04 1500 quad cab and the only thing he's complained about is the cost of the 20 inch tires and gas prices :lol: its not a hybrid its a hemibrid, burns tires and gas. I have heard some people mention rear axle problems (noise).

I'm dreading the day I have to replace the 20's on mine. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that my fronts were starting to cup on the outer edges. So I took it in and had the tires rotated and the front end aligned. Not something I felt I should be doing with only 30,000 on it........

I have a 03 quad cab 2 wheel drive 5.7 and love it i have 165,000 miles on it i have changed the plugs twice 16 plugs by the way 7qts oil pan the milage is getting worse as she gets older, was not that bad new. i am on my 3rd set of tires (20") and they are not that bad either around $600 for a set. i did have to put a alternator on it just a few weeks ago. but other then that she has been real good, i have to change oil once a mouth and have only used the mopar filters and mobal 1 oil.

I'm dreading the day I have to replace the 20's on mine. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that my fronts were starting to cup on the outer edges. So I took it in and had the tires rotated and the front end aligned. Not something I felt I should be doing with only 30,000 on it........

you should rotate tires every other oil change for max tire life. my 1-ton gets done every 8000 miles. i have 78000 on the original tires & all those miles are tow milage! bottom line, if you want tires to last keep the correct pressures, alignment, & roatation! oh yea, i just bought my kid a 2004 quad cab hemi w/20's. great truck! even with a 114k this thing ran a 15.50 et. although its fast it does like the fuel 14city & 17hiway. this is not a dodge thing on the fuel milage, it seems any brands that start to get over the 300 hp will like its fuel.

I have an 05 QC 1500 HEMI,

100_0065-1.jpg

I don't know how you feel about doing some light moding to a truck but with a K & N CAI, a Flowmaster Exhaust and a Superchip reprogrammer i get 16 mpg on the street and 22 on the freeway. It gets better milage then my fathers 08 1500 QC HEMI with mds. Gas millage stock isn't the best on these things, but man is it powerful. I agree with burning tires and gas!

I have the factory 20's also. The tires lasted me almost 60,000 miles and they were 4 years old. I ended up replacing them because of cracking not tread wear.

Don't buy a Hemi, you can make more power with a 360 and better fuel economy

-
Back