Anyone have a M&P shield 40?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Just bought one locally / private. I am going to sell the Kahr. The MP has a thumb safety which is nothing short of miserable. I've searched, and get everything from "you are a weakling, practice," to "just don't use it" to "I agree it takes both hands"

1....Anyone aware of an aftermarket extended one?
2....I am considering removing it, and silver brazing "something" on there, if nothing else, just add some silver braze and file it.

Before you say, "just dont use it" this has what seems to be a more delicate trigger pull than the Kahr had, and I'm not sure I want that option. This is NOT a "DA only" even though that is kinda how it acts. It is a striker fired pistol with a lot heavier trigger than a SA

BOY IS IT SMALL!! BOY IS IT LIGHT WEIGHT!!

I have the Shield Plus 9mm version sans the thumb safety. Recommend getting an Apex trigger and go from there....

GL!

I have the Shield 45 with the manual safety. Yes it is puny. I agree with your idea to add material. I’m not aware of a substitute. I like the pistol but it seems to jump around more than my 4” 1911. Grip is pretty aggressive too.

I have the shield in .45 as well. It has the manual safety and I find the placement good. No issues. The aggressive grip really works with the kick of the .45 and gun is very accurate. Great gun for the money and I highly recommend it for a compact carry. I hear the trigger on the latest model is really good.

I can’t help on the safety lever either it is tiny I have read where people do exactly what you’re thinking about. I’ve got a .40 2.0 and the apex trigger set up is highly recommended on my part also.

Best solution tends to be strategically applied oil and then working it a whole bunch to break in the detent.

Haven't seen an extended safety for most compact pistols either. Not sure why, but as litigious at people are I know most of the industry cringes at making aftermarket parts which affect magazine or manual safeties - yet the same people will offer a 4oz trigger.. The logic escapes me.

i have a shield in 9MM

never had an issue with the safety (or should i say, more then usual, seeing how im a lefty)
but i do have a gripe with the magazine release button

which, if you are not a lefty, shouldnt bother you

I've got one in 9mm, been my carry piece for at least 5 years now. You get used the safety pretty easily, there isn't much meat on it to grab, but it's a nice positive feel when you move it. If you want to address the crappy trigger that M&Ps come with, look into Apex. The DCAEK is worth every penny. I also put the forward set sear in my full size M&P, also worth the money.

Just bought one locally / private. I am going to sell the Kahr. The MP has a thumb safety which is nothing short of miserable. I've searched, and get everything from "you are a weakling, practice," to "just don't use it" to "I agree it takes both hands"

1....Anyone aware of an aftermarket extended one?
2....I am considering removing it, and silver brazing "something" on there, if nothing else, just add some silver braze and file it.

Before you say, "just dont use it" this has what seems to be a more delicate trigger pull than the Kahr had, and I'm not sure I want that option. This is NOT a "DA only" even though that is kinda how it acts. It is a striker fired pistol with a lot heavier trigger than a SA

BOY IS IT SMALL!! BOY IS IT LIGHT WEIGHT!!
In Mopar General discussion?

I have the Shield in .40, the safety hasn't been an issue for me, but I can see where you're coming from. I don't like the six round magazine, my pinky curls under and I don't like that.

I have the Shield in .40, the safety hasn't been an issue for me, but I can see where you're coming from. I don't like the six round magazine, my pinky curls under and I don't like that.
I only got one (it's used) and it's the larger one with the rubber finger deal. Works OK for me, but I can't imagine the shorter one. I was going to order at least one more, but the SW site says "phone orders only" and they are open "a short Friday" so I'll have to call next week.

It's unclear whether the ambidexerous one will fit this, I'll try and ask.

Doesn't take much to put a pinky extender on just about any magazine

I think it took me 30 seconds on my shield

Of course, a larger magazine with a higher capacity AND room for the pinkie on the bottom would be preferred

I put a set of Talon grips on mine, it makes it easier to hold onto. It's like grip tape for the frame.

Doesn't take much to put a pinky extender on just about any magazine

Of course, a larger magazine with a higher capacity AND room for the pinkie on the bottom would be preferred
That's why I ordered five seven round magazines.

Well a follow up.
1..I'm going to HAVE to have a mag loader for the 40. That thing is ROUGH loading
2...Still have not fully resolved the hard to actuate safety. If no one makes an extended one (I have not determined if I could modify an ambi dex one) I think I'll silver braze an extension on the present one
3...I found out there are aftermarket barrels, and I now have one, that allow you to shoot 9mm through the weapon and you can even use the 40 mag
4...Ordered and received an extra 7 round mag, as it only came with one (used)

BUT HERE IS THE BIG NEWS

A neighbor was talking about the Shield "EZ" so I did some research and bought a Shield 9MM "EZ." I can operate the slide with two fingers!! The mag is way easier to load and has finger tabs on each side. The safety is MUCH more extended towards the front, giving my thumb not only better purchase, but easier to operate.

I think I'm going to like that thing!!!

We have an unsupervised outdoor range in the area, but it's a "few miles." I hope as soon as the wx warms back up to trek up there and blow off a few rounds in both the new pistols as well as the Model 12 / 12 gauge I bought

AND AFTER ALL THESE YEARS I (literally) day-dreamed up an idea for an effective brass catcher. (outdoors). I'm thinking pick up a small used tent at the thrift stores, one of those with a spring tension support outfit, cut or modify the opening as needed and set it up beside you. A gigantic SCOOP. "We'll see"--need to figure out a way to make it some taller Maybe one of those "pop up" toilet / changing stalls.

I bought a catcher for my AR15 but haven’t tried it yet. They also sell extra mounts so it can be used on their guns easily. I’ll try to find a link to see if that would work for you.

Thanks I'm still thinking of that. I have not reloaded for years, but I still have the gear and some bullets and primers. I hated reloading 9mm, (headspace) but I've done over a thousand, maybe 1500 357/ 38. Back in those days it was mostly 38/ 357 and 44 mag I've owned 4 different 44's

I'm not going to mess with shotshells, and likely not .40.

You could look at a normal full size M&Ps safety and see if it can be adapted to the shield. I am familiar with the full sized one, but have not taken the safety apart on my Shield. It is considerably bigger, the pistol is wider as well, but you might be able to swap the exterior lever into it somehow.

Well a follow up.
1..I'm going to HAVE to have a mag loader for the 40. That thing is ROUGH loading
2...Still have not fully resolved the hard to actuate safety. If no one makes an extended one (I have not determined if I could modify an ambi dex one) I think I'll silver braze an extension on the present one
3...I found out there are aftermarket barrels, and I now have one, that allow you to shoot 9mm through the weapon and you can even use the 40 mag
4...Ordered and received an extra 7 round mag, as it only came with one (used)

BUT HERE IS THE BIG NEWS

A neighbor was talking about the Shield "EZ" so I did some research and bought a Shield 9MM "EZ." I can operate the slide with two fingers!! The mag is way easier to load and has finger tabs on each side. The safety is MUCH more extended towards the front, giving my thumb not only better purchase, but easier to operate.

I think I'm going to like that thing!!!

We have an unsupervised outdoor range in the area, but it's a "few miles." I hope as soon as the wx warms back up to trek up there and blow off a few rounds in both the new pistols as well as the Model 12 / 12 gauge I bought

AND AFTER ALL THESE YEARS I (literally) day-dreamed up an idea for an effective brass catcher. (outdoors). I'm thinking pick up a small used tent at the thrift stores, one of those with a spring tension support outfit, cut or modify the opening as needed and set it up beside you. A gigantic SCOOP. "We'll see"--need to figure out a way to make it some taller Maybe one of those "pop up" toilet / changing stalls.

TACTINET™

-
Back