Anyone have desktop dyno be willing to get me a ballpark?

-
Yep... once I get the bugs worked out (rear end, radiator, timing, break in the engine, etc) .. and then get some seat time, learning how the car drives, I may take it for a spin down the ¼ mile. I know I was pleasantly surprised when I got my V6 Mustang (305hp 3.7L V6) to do 13.81 @ 102mph .. I'm hoping the Dart will do about the same.

It is accurate enough to get you in the ball park area so long as the inputs are correct and you can fill all of them out and know what your doing. Exhaust pipe size is an excellent example.

The other problem here is the people here commenting on it. Some good, many not, read the instructions and then, THEN remember that this dyno sim is really no different from a rel world dyno.

Now your all saying WTF is this Fish TALKING ABOUT?!?! OMG!

Well, if my engine makes 435 on the sim, the. I go down the block to dyno room "A" and it dyno's 450 on a real dyno , the program sucks!

If I go down to dyno room "B" and it dyno's 415, the dyno sim sucks and the other actual dyno is generous / broken / out of tune etc... Whatever.

I go back to dyno room "A" and the tell me dyno room "B" is stingy, they suck!

I go to dyno room "C" and it kicks out...

Get the picture on bench or real racing dyno's yet?

I appreciate ALL the input.... .truly. I understand that there are a ton of variables, and no way a desktop/computer program can completely accurately gauge the horsepower of an engine ... that's why I was looking for 'ballpark' numbers... :) If it's in the neighborhood of 300-325 .. that's decent enough for me.

Did you design the program your talking about? Its ok for other people to have input and opinions ya know, no need to act like a jerk. Just sayin

At least I only act like one.

The OP asked someone to specifically run his combo on the desktop dyno. I did it. I was the only one. I get called the jerk. Lemmie tell you something. If a dyno sim program is what you have, it's a good one. It's better than nuthin. Didn't my program get him right in the ballpark of everyone elses "guesses"? Plus, it was even a little more conservative than all of the other guesses. I bet it's more accurate, too. That's why I said stuff a sock in it. Nobody else did what the OP asked but me and yet I get called names. I believe I'll think twice next time.

Just sayin.

It is accurate enough to get you in the ball park area so long as the inputs are correct and you can fill all of them out and know what your doing. Exhaust pipe size is an excellent example.

The other problem here is the people here commenting on it. Some good, many not, read the instructions and then, THEN remember that this dyno sim is really no different from a rel world dyno.

Now your all saying WTF is this Fish TALKING ABOUT?!?! OMG!

Well, if my engine makes 435 on the sim, the. I go down the block to dyno room "A" and it dyno's 450 on a real dyno , the program sucks!

If I go down to dyno room "B" and it dyno's 415, the dyno sim sucks and the other actual dyno is generous / broken / out of tune etc... Whatever.

I go back to dyno room "A" and the tell me dyno room "B" is stingy, they suck!

I go to dyno room "C" and it kicks out...

Get the picture on bench or real racing dyno's yet?

you sure speak the truth!

all i like these programs for realy is to look at averages and i always thought the desktop dyno was fairly good for that useage,however im sad to say that i belive compcams camquest is full of #%&%¤#&%#¤#%!Q,look at what that program does when you add a tunnelram to any combo that is alitle hotter than the average cruiser would use:banghead:

Cam Quest and Desktop Dyno are both from Comp cams.

Cam Quest and Desktop Dyno are both from Comp cams.

yes but look at what happens in camquest when you try a tunnelram on anything with alitle cam in it.. i get all sorts of weird numbers there is no way a edelbrock headed 340 with a fairly small solid roller makes a 50-100hp jump in output from installing a tunnelram making it a about 600hp motor.:banghead: never got that kind of weird numbers with the older desktop dyno(that refuses to install on a computer with windows8 btw).

On the desk top dyno, a move from a dual plane to a signal plane in most mello builds nets 50! Lol! Yea right! Not happenin!

I like to I out cam shaft specs into these programs and see how it changes things around. I used to have to do it the old fashion way.

Change the cam myself! My old camshaft pile used to look like a Lincoln log barrel spilled over.

Just thought I'd follow up ... after some dyno runs and tuning, we ended up with 237 HP at the wheels, and 292 torque ... torque came in at about 3k, and stayed steady up until about 4200 rpm... HP peaked at about 4500 rpm... considering drivetrain loss, I'm gonna guess this is pretty close to 300hp at the crank

boot to winxp in bootcamp and download it. I bought Desktop Dyno on 3.5 floppy for 79 bucks when Supershops was still around! Whoa!

I have it downloaded,from 99 on floppy disc. You need to play with it,to make it accurate. I always looked for for powerband shifts,gives you a reference.

-
Back