anyone here ever painted their Edelbrock intake?

-

jhaas63

Reaction score
I am going to paint my Edelbrock intake manifold to match my motor, hemi orange. It is basically impossible to keep clean.

Anyone else ever do this?

Oh sure. I like powder coating better though. It's just pricey by compare. Use As high a temp paint as you can find. Clean that intake up as best as you can. Grease off is a good start and finished with brake cleaner.

Allow it to dry FULLY before applying a second coat or anymore coats.

To get decent paint adhesion you need to get it really clean, then use a good aluminum specific primer. I used a greenish yellow, military issue, zinc chromate back in the day, not even sure if you can buy it nowadays.
As for cleaning, I prefer a good dunking in carburetor cleaner, followed by a hot water rinse, then blown dry. This is about the only way to get a used one with crud in the the ports and heat riser passage clean, but you might get away with scrubbing it down with various brushes (bottle and otherwise) in a tub of simple green (full strength at first, then diluted with water), followed by soaking the entire piece in acetone, followed by an air dry.
Sanding the primer smooth after it has filled the pores of the cast aluminum and putting the paint on heavy enough to let it flow out should give you a smooth surface that's easy to clean.
I'm skipping the paint and powder coat options and having mine ceramic coated.

The factories painted the Edelbrock sixpack / six barrel manifolds so why not? ;-)

i dont like showing of what i got...

and thats a victor top end...

Attachments

• 512 Stroker (30).jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 1,213
Send it to the CudaChick and let her powder coat it.

The factories painted the Edelbrock sixpack / six barrel manifolds so why not? ;-)

What is it about what the factory did some 40 plus years ago, like so what. True how the engine/car was design but paint? Freaken paint it how ever you so please. Personally I think blue engines look awful, not much better then black. Red and orange engines look the best, IMO

My shop painted my eddy dual quad silver, I like it, maybe Chevy orange--like the block is would be ok, not sure/ yep, my sbm is painted Chevy orange, ha ha. Was the only orange paint they had so I said why not? Heads are Mopar orange, its a "mutt" of a car but I like it and it runs darn freaken good.

Its your car now do as you so please and stop worrying, resale valve might matter but only cause you got these folks so hung up on what the factory did way back when.

I guarantee you if those cars were made today Mopar would build them different, you really think dual points and drum brakes would be put on??????????

really easy, put it in the media blaster and dust it off, then bolt it on, then spray your engine with epoxy primer then your standard urethane single stage. If you cleaned everything right your entire engine will look damn good for years to come.

I like them both painted or unpainted...

I painted this one because I bought it used, and it already had some paint on it.

Paul

vbpgimage.php

Send it to the CudaChick and let her powder coat it.

She just returned a slant triple SU intake. She did it in chrome and red to match my slant Offy valve cover. Should be no issues keeping this stuff clean.

Just painted mine, just for a change of looks.
ascast stains easy, and hard to clean.
Before
after

Attachments

• parts 007.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 804
  • gas tank packaging 005 (Small).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 824
She just returned a slant triple SU intake. She did it in chrome and red to match my slant Offy valve cover. Should be no issues keeping this stuff clean.

That Lynx was a rare jewel and a very fun project to work on Don! Thanks for the follow up pictures -- you take such good care of me! :D

Before ...

View attachment Don Hudson's Lynx manifold - before.jpg

View attachment Don Hudson's Lynx manifold - before2.jpg

Did a BUNCH of deburring and a lot of metal repairs on it (the dark gray areas are my High Temp Metal Filler) ...

View attachment IMG_4965.JPG

View attachment IMG_4967.JPG

View attachment IMG_4969.JPG

And then ended up with this ...

View attachment IMG_5122.JPG

View attachment IMG_5125.JPG

It should go nicely with the custom Offy valve cover I did up a few months back.

View attachment Don Hudson's Offy valve cover - after.jpg

I cannot wait to see everything put back together under that hood!!! Thanks again for this latest opportunity to try to knock your socks off Don. I appreciate your loyalty, your friendship and your business.

Here is what 1 I have looks like after time. I got this in a trade so I'm not sure what they used or how they did the paint job but it doesn't look too bad & it's also for sale. (shameless plug)

Attachments

• Picture 022.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 682
  • Picture 023.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 652
  • Picture 021.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 687
I had my new intake for my magnum motor ceramic coated at my local powder coaters for 60 bucks, came out beautiful (polished finish almost looks chrome) and is definitely going to last. I painted my La intake and as soon as a drip of gas hit it, the paint came right off. So no more paint for me.

My str 12 and the M1 are both powder coated and the X ram has been on my car for a few years and still looks great.

Attachments

• 000_3970.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 610
I am into racing and put an aluminum intake on a motor for a performance upgrade. Painting an intake or powder coating them with hold more heat in.....

I like cold fuel and air entering a hot a head... Why not just put a stock intake back on it and paint it?

-
Back