Anyone mount battery UNDER, or flush in trunk?

-
-- _ _ _ _
Im already mounting fuel cell under the trunk to save the trunk space, but really wanting to keep trunk 100% usable. -- Thanks!! --
-- Is this so that it can be used as a "Grocery Hauler" ? -- :D --

Its being used for Power Tour and later Drag Week. So storage space is at a premium.

My 2006 300c has the battery flush mounted. I'd assume since it's factory, it'd pass tech if I took it to the track.

My 2006 300c has the battery flush mounted. I'd assume since it's factory, it'd pass tech if I took it to the track.
late model production cars skirt alot of the "race car" NHRA rules, under the pretense that they came that way from the factory. Yes, you'd be fine. Once someone modifies factory things however (like a battery relocation in an old car) Tech needs to make sure everything is ok per the rules, and safety. A battery in a trunk that is just sitting on the floor with a rubber tie down lag bolted in. would become a pretty nasty projectile in a wreck.
I grew up at the drag strip. I even ran the starting line for probably 5 years... I've seen a lot of "homemade" stuff. hence rules/regulations.

‘00 - 5.9, all stock except the following bolt on parts.

Edelbrock RPM intake, 750 carb, Lokar cables, OE trap door air cleaner, Hooker Super Comps & 1-3/4 - 2-1/2 true duals, long case Dynomax mufflers, older distributor w/MP Chrome box ignition, B&M flexplate for the neutral balance converter @ 2500 stall. FWIW, the rear is a 9-1/4 sure grip equipped w/3.55’s on 245/60/15’s on all 4 corners.
AutoZone aluminum radiator.

I know this is off topic but how does your car go with that setup?
You've offered some good feeback on my questions on my very similar setup but I don't know if I ever asked how you're making out with yours.

Yup, need the trunk space for tools and BluePrint Stickers :) may even have to pull a trailer lol
In Yogie Bears voice....

“Not to mention the pick-A-nick basket for trips to “Jellystone National Park!”

I know this is off topic but how does your car go with that setup?
You've offered some good feeback on my questions on my very similar setup but I don't know if I ever asked how you're making out with yours.

:thankyou:
Thanks for asking. It was going very well. My latest issue was due to the rear ends U bolts getting loose. (Pictured somewhere on one of Johnny Macs threads, this one or the other one) During some, ummmm, let’s say... “Spirited Driving exercises,” I guess you may say.... the rear was allowed to move around, nose up and down as well as cocking the wheels fore and aft causing a huge vibration. I threw in the towel and headed home, but didn’t make it soundly. I did pull into the driveway. Consider the trans wipes out.

As far as it was before hand, I’d call it an excellent daily driver. The only PIA part of the swap was lower radiator hose fit. I used a ‘79 lower radiator hose on the ‘00 OE Magnum’s water pump to the ever so slightly moved radiator passenger lower inlet with very close clearance to the OE Magnum fan. I did loose one radiator hose because it was to close.

Otherwise, it was very good. No issues. Smooth and strong. If I could suggest anything to anybody doing this it would be to use an overdrive transmission. The 1-1 ratio & 3.55 gears on 245/60/15’s did slightly limit normal interstate driving speeds a bit because of the rpm I would travel at.

Considering this engine was in the bigger and heavier Dodge Durango and Ram trucks, there tires are a good bit taller and the overdrive really kept the RPMs down. That makes it really good on the interstate.

I did have a plan to swap in a .499 lift Hyd. Crane cam I have collecting dust. (Might as well make use of it over the tiny factory cam specs!) with the Hughesengines Trick spring retainer set up. As well as a spring relocation and subframe connector kit. But as seen before, I’m now in for probably a 2K repair. And that will be awhile. To many irons in the fire to just throw money at this problem like I’m the U.S. government....
:lol:

I did want to take this down to Alabama on 10/10/20 for Austin Griggs “Rusty Muscle Car” meet. It ain’t looking so good now!

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread topic....

Yup, need the trunk space for tools and BluePrint Stickers :) may even have to pull a trailer lol
We are planning to pull one behind the Coronet unless I sell the trailer part way through.

1cef968cc796561e2e43707acbaf2fe8.jpg

Simular to this.

I've done some digging, and coming up short on good ideas or pictures.

Anyone ever do a flush mount battery relocation in the trunk that still allows access from the top side?

Im trying to preserve as much trunk space as possible. So far all i can come up with in my head is to weld up a steel battery box, drop it through the floor, brace to frame rail. And fab up a trap door.

Thoughts?

Im already mounting fuel cell under the trunk to save the trunk space, but really wanting to keep trunk 100% usable.

Thanks!!
I mounted an Odessey battery up side down to the bottom of the floor pan behind the rear end in a narrowed 65 Corvette. It worked great for 5 years, then I sold it. As far as I know it is still in service.

Last edited:

Anyone ever do a flush mount battery relocation in the trunk that still allows access from the top side?

Im trying to preserve as much trunk space as possible. So far all i can come up with in my head is to weld up a steel battery box, drop it through the floor, brace to frame rail. And fab up a trap door.

Thoughts?

Im already mounting fuel cell under the trunk to save the trunk space, but really wanting to keep trunk 100% usable.

Thanks!!

I did in my last car. Make a drop in box and put it behind the PS rear wheel. You have to have it mini-tubbed to do this.

Last edited:

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

I had an old Don Hardy , east texas race cars vega , w/ dual battery boxes flush mounted below the floor ,it had an all alum. interior tho. Should be easy to do in a big car , I`d think.

I had an old Don Hardy , east texas race cars vega , w/ dual battery boxes flush mounted below the floor ,it had an all alum. interior tho. Should be easy to do in a big car , I`d think.
its funny, its not that big of a car...there's less real estate here than most would figure. parked next to my dart, its honestly not a ton larger...my wifes 4 door charger Dwarfs it!

when we did the cage and mounted the fuel cell, my buddy originally bolted it in behind the license plate, but its pretty impractical there though. it fit...but god help ya if ya needed a jump or or went to change it lol it may end up in the trunk after all. part of it being that the full tubs kinds of rules out anything outside the frame rails.

Last edited:
-
Back