Anyone own a dodge camper van?

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
I'm interested in a 77 dodge camper, Winnebago type.
Van for sale and was wondering what I need to look out for.
It has new rear dually tires and fronts are good with no dry rot.

Mechanicals are said to be good and it's got a little over 60-k miles, looks clean inside and out just never owned one and don't know what to ask about it.

It's 5 hours away from me so I want to ask all the questions I can about it.

Any info helps , thanks.

Ps no leaks in roof and looks like it has roof mount ac unit, flat screen and surround sound, new fridge and interior clean and kept up.

Go over any tanks, valves and plumbing carefully for leaks or non functionality.
Check any pumps for the plumbing and make sure it works.
Any coach batteries (for lighting and appliances) and propane storage.
Ask how those batteries (if any) are charged and note sale dates and/or apparent condition.
If it has a propane water heater make sure it lights and works.
Does it use an inverter system for supplying 110 volts anywhere.
Take note of any flooring damage from leaks (soft spots or stains around the edges of cabinets and walls.)

Ask about winterizing procedures, and any tank dumping routines.
If it does have a black storage tank, is there a hose for it?

A spare tire with a cover?
Any jumper cables with it? (nice to have with any RV)

About all I can think of at the moment for an RV type vehicle.

Just remember that you are looking at buying a nearly 40 year old vehicle. Everything is old and needs to be fully inspected for functionality and condition for regular use.

What looks ok now can quickly become a money pit once you start using it regularly and find out just how fragile it really is.

Owning a motorhome is kinda like owning a boat.

They are both lotsa fun when you're not fixing something :)

There's a couple guys in our Mopar group that have Mopar mini motor homes. I believe both have 318's in them although I don't know the years and whether they are Poly's or not. Toby's pulled Mopar Joe's trailer and Challenger without an issue. After a getting the mechanicals in order and some minor fixing they are very usable. We don't cook in them or the bathrooms don't work but they are a dry and welcome spot to crash after a hard day of car show/swap meet action and usually too many wobbly pops around the fire at night. You can make them functional as much as you wish. You can barely them in the backround at last years Mopar show at Farmington, Mn. We had a blast with them and got a lot of comments. tmm

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 015.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 190
  • 021.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 075.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 185
It may be worth looking into the newer Dodge sprinter based campers if you have the money.
If you are going to use it alot, fuel mileage on the old one would make up for the difference in price of a newer rv.

I have one. That's what I got my 360 out of, we had a lot of fun with it. Mine had I forget which, either 15 1/2 or 16 1/2 inch wheels and tires were getting hard to find and expensive. Also even though the fridge looks brand new make sure it will run off propane as well as the 12 volt and 110. They are about $900 to replace.

I've owned my '77 Sportsman Royal B-200 camper since it was new. It's a really great vehicle, and I really love it, but just remember that you are going to have to replace or repair almost everything before it becomes truly dependable. Drive it a lot on short trips and shakedown cruises before taking it on any long trips. Make sure the engine has excellent compression and oil pressure, and if it doesn't, rebuild it so that it does.

Fixing up an old van like this is great if you do almost all of your own work, but if you must hire a mechanic to fix everything it is not going to be cost-effective and you are not going to be a happy camper (pun).

Attachments

• van.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 143
  • antenna.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 152
Thanks for all the replies fellas and the cool pictures.

I'm not seriously concerned about creature comforts as I'm used to roughing it when I camp so this would be like a five star hotel in comparison.

The more things that work the better but if I could get a generator and heater that would be great.
I'll know much more once I talk to the owner today and I agree on the shakedown trips but if I bought it I would have to drive it home five hours away which would be a great test.

-
Back