Anyone run the Weber knock off 38 progressive 2bl here on their 225?

-
Recently bought a Weber 38 dges knockoff from Amazon and it claims on the box to be a 390cfm carburetor. When I bought it last month, $110 shipped. Bolted on to a Clifford intake. I feel that the main jetting is perfect for a 225 right out of the box, but the idle jets need to be larger. I do also have a the Clifford header and true dual 2.25 exhaust. I have a slight hesitation off of idle, but I believe upping the idle jets will clear that up. I've not pulled plugs to see how it's running, but daily driving with a 40 mile commute has seen zero problems and it's been about 2500 miles since installing. I did also have to bump the timing up too. I have seen that you can take parts from the 32/36 and make the 38 progressive, but I don't think it would flow enough on the single barrel to be worth it. Would probably be worse than the original 1bbl.

Recently bought a Weber 38 dges knockoff from Amazon and it claims on the box to be a 390cfm carburetor. When I bought it last month, $110 shipped. Bolted on to a Clifford intake. I feel that the main jetting is perfect for a 225 right out of the box, but the idle jets need to be larger. I do also have a the Clifford header and true dual 2.25 exhaust. I have a slight hesitation off of idle, but I believe upping the idle jets will clear that up. I've not pulled plugs to see how it's running, but daily driving with a 40 mile commute has seen zero problems and it's been about 2500 miles since installing. I did also have to bump the timing up too. I have seen that you can take parts from the 32/36 and make the 38 progressive, but I don't think it would flow enough on the single barrel to be worth it. Would probably be worse than the original 1bbl.
I thought about getting a 32/36 and doing just that, but in the end, you still have the same size throttle blades and bores. Still pretty limiting.

I thought about getting a 32/36 and doing just that, but in the end, you still have the same size throttle blades and bores. Still pretty limiting.
I spent almost a month trying to decide what to use. 32/36, 38, BBD, converting a 38 to progressive.... Finally settled on a 38 and running it as is. Seems to be the best option. I was not willing to spend the $400-500 on the real deal and found what I'm running on Amazon. Normally I would not say to buy any car parts from Amazon, but at work we've purchased Chinese carburetors from them and they worked surprisingly well, so I figured I'd give it a go. Bought a BBD for $90 for a 318 I had and now a Weber 38 for $110. Both almost perfect out of the box. If anyone is thinking about a knockoff Weber, I'd say go for it.

Doubt it would be 390 cfm. D. Vizard tested Weber/Dellorto carbs. Didn't test 38s, but tested three 40mm carbs: 342, 350, 364 cfm.

Maybe you should add a second one, something like this. :)

brian dual webers 2.jpg

Maybe you should add a second one, something like this. :)

View attachment 1716026434
What I am actually battin around is two 32/36s. That way, I will have progressive carburetors and I can use progressive linkage. That would probably get pretty decent mileage while still being pretty snappy. This is comin from the guy that's fixin to pull off a 450 vacuum secondary four barrel and replace it with a 650 double pumper. lol

Doubt it would be 390 cfm. D. Vizard tested Weber/Dellorto carbs. Didn't test 38s, but tested three 40mm carbs: 342, 350, 364 cfm.
I thought 390 seemed optimistic.

What I am actually battin around is two 32/36s. That way, I will have progressive carburetors and I can use progressive linkage. That would probably get pretty decent mileage while still being pretty snappy. This is comin from the guy that's fixin to pull off a 450 vacuum secondary four barrel and replace it with a 650 double pumper. lol
You're probably not wrong on that. I would love to have two carbs just for the cool factor, but with a limited budget, this being my only car and having an 80 mile round trip drive every day, it's not something I wanted to try right now. With the way I have my car set up, I average 25mpg driving relatively normal. 32mpg whenever I make the long highway drive to see my parents 2 hours away.

I had a Weber progressive model stock on my 74, 2800 cc (171 cid)
V6 Capri that saw 6000 rpm several times a day

Here is a Progressive Carb running on a Ford 200 six.

Screenshot_20221226-141226_Firefox.jpg

Looks to be the standard 32/36 Progressive Carb.

Yup, 32/36 and I guarantee told ya it's too lean. lol

That would be a fun project for you to set up Dual Progressives on a Chrysler Slant 6.

Have had great luck with those Progressives in the past. They are simple to pull the tops off and change the jets too.

The secondary on them acts just like the secondaries on a 4 bbl when you put your foot into it, doubling up on the power outout.

That would be a fun project for you to set up Dual Progressives on a Chrysler Slant 6.

Have had great luck with those Progressives in the past. They are simple to pull the tops off and change the jets too.

The secondary on them acts just like the secondaries on a 4 bbl when you put your foot into it, doubling up on the power outout.
Yup, that's kinda the idea. Along the same lines as the mileage and power of a Thermoquad. I would try a Thermoquad if I had a good one, as I have a spread bore adapter for the Offenhauser intake.

Probably work well. Pontiac used the QJ on a 230 in line six in 1967.

Someone used to build and sell the modified Offy 2x1 intake with the dual Webers back in 2002 when I got my Duster. Bad thing was it didn't work with the RV2 A/C compressor.
Clifford sells a dual Weber intake for the slant. Do not know if it would work with air or not. Probably not.

Wasn't the clifford 4-bbl intake water heated?
To my knowledge, Clifford only sells two intakes. One open plenum that you buy an adapter to fit your carburetor and a dual Weber intake. Both of which are water heated. At least, I would think the dual Weber intake is water heated. I know the other is.

To my knowledge, Clifford only sells two intakes. One open plenum that you buy an adapter to fit your carburetor and a dual Weber intake. Both of which are water heated. At least, I would think the dual Weber intake is water heated. I know the other is.
Wish the offy had the hot water plumbing sometimes. Like every time it's under 70 out

this book (or books this one is a combined volume)
Amazon product ASIN B008N568DM
John Passini. Techinal officer for a 1960s/70s Tuning shop and offical UK conssionaires for weber.
It is akward to read, as its written in a conversational style, rather than a technical manual. a style you would expect from a chat in a bar with a well to do english gentleman stuck in the middle of black and white 1940s film land.
BUT it is a treasure trove of good advice once you get over the strange turns of phrase and read it all.
use of highlighter or sticky lables to mark stuff about your carb in each chapter is sensible.

It was published as 2 volumes in the late 60s, 2 volumes (green and yellow or orange covers) in the 70s and this combined one (both books in one) again in tha last 15 years or so.

i got my copies off ebay for about £10

it focuses on the fact that weber carbs were specfied for specific OEM applications, BUT were made availble to all, for use on other engines provided you understood that you would be responsible for finding the settings that worked for your motor .

i.e what you buy, will work in its orginal application out of the box, but not necessarily your application until you do the work to specify the correct set up.... Its orginal application may well have been something quite esoteric or it might heve been something extreamly mundane like a ford tranist van .

45 DCOE 13 bore size in mm, model, series.

the series links that version of the carb to a specific engine at a specifc level of tune.
13 means little other than a link to the engine it was designed for and in some cases other engines that weber decided it was good for. they only varied the design if they had to, and when they did a new series was born.

if you use more than 1 carb, getting same type, the same series and the same vintage is necessary for a good match.

if you buy new spanish made the series is the last series and combines the most popular set up from all preceeding configurations i.e specified like a last edition 1980s carb or a specific exceedigly popular configuration from the past.

most of the progressives were made for alfa, lancia fiat and ford for use on 1300- 3000 CC four and six cylinders designed to rev to a redline that is usually higher than a standard American V8.
but the tuning parts for them had to cover granny's grocery getter and the top flight of production car racing...

so the chances of you finding that a properly sized weber carb has no parts to enable its use on your motor is pretty low.

i have had throttle bodies and a carter BBD copy off Jinlin Fajs in china, via a seller called SherryBerg (ebay and aliexpress) and they have been of decent enough quality. i think Jinlin makes carter BBD copies for US and Australian suppliers and i know they make weber copies.

i have 3x 45dcoe on my car and i strongly suggest sorting out plugs and igntion before you start tuning journey. had i done this, life would have been easier. good with the carter BBD wasn't good enough with the webers, coil, leads, timing and advance curve all had to change.

comparison by total cfm doesn't quite work, you need enough cfm to get to choesn red line with the weber carb and that CFM for the carb may be different from a holley chosesn by CFM rateing it depends totally where the restriction in flow actually is and how many cylinders the carb is feeding....
bigger is not neccesarily better with a weber set up if it was i'd have 52mm carbs rather than 45, the general rules would dictate 52 mm (just bigger than my inlet valve size) car runs just fine with 45mm and they have a 40 mm choke.

Dave

Last edited:
-
Back