Anyone running a th400 in their a body?

-
Junior636:
As far as the 400 vs 727 is concerned, it's your car. You build it how you see fit. You are right, the 400 is a cheaper build. And if it grenades it'll be cheaper to replace [win-win] GM stuff always costs less. Save some cash on the trans & that frees up cash to spend elsewhere.
BTW it looks great. Got any more pictures?

Junior, I noted in your first thread you stated waiting for "J.W. to ship." How long you been waiting. I ordered from Jegs in about early September 2013 from JW and it has been on back order since. I was told the 24th January it will ship. I thought of going with another company, however I have totally ground off the bellhousing and built the PG according to their specs. Hope they get their stuff in one bag quick.

I agree - useful information, I enjoy reading the bright people on here, some great talent, and have learned a lot (thank you all). And I have learned each to his own, stick to the point.

Keep up the posting as you go, always curious as how someone else skins the cat.

V/r

I have been waiting since July or August, I cant remember anymore. They told me it would ship before Christmas...now I am waiting to see if the January deadline actually happens.

They sure havent, I was having the place I ordered from check at lease once a month but I am over it now, just going to sit and wait another 8 months I guess. Did you get yours?

No, Eric swore up and down they where shipping last week - Guess what, not here.

Anyways, rebuilt my 727 and bought a 4500K convertor, guess I too will wait. Pretty much over it, until my 451 is finished.

No, Eric swore up and down they where shipping last week - Guess what, not here.

Anyways, rebuilt my 727 and bought a 4500K convertor, guess I too will wait. Pretty much over it, until my 451 is finished.

Hey my ultrabell showed up today! It only took 8 months.... You get yours yet?

believe there was a complete Rossler trans in the Moparts Race classifieds.

Junior - I did - mine was only seven months. While waiting, I rebuilt my 727, I will be putting the glide behind my 451.

please keep me posted on your build, and good luck.

Bakerlite - I did actually look at Reid. I am doing a low budget build, I ground off the Powerglide housing. My concern was Reid seemed to only work with their case, where as JW seemed to be able to work with my redneck engineering.

Maybe should try these guys. I'm involved in a 4L80E 6 speed auto build at the moment. Had to cut the whole tunnel out and the torquebox cross member.
http://www.reidracing.biz/transmission-products/bellhousings

The Reid stuff is real nice! I started with a Quick Time bell (4L80 to Big Block Mopar)and it leaked like crazy as it was .006" off from side to side and it bolts to the cast pump surface which obviously isn't flat and will never seal (I was warned prior). The fluid crept right up the bolt and leaked all over from where the bell meets the pump. I have since switched to a Reid bell for a power glide to BB Mopar with an adapter plate and modified/machined pump from CK Performance Racing Transmissions. Everything is machined perfectly flat and o-ringed, so bottom line....no leaks! It's a much nicer looking set-up too!

Attachments

• 20140320_174318.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 238
  • 20140320_174341.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 229
  • 20140320_174403.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 20140320_174422.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 210
There are a lot of reasons to run the th400. Strength and cost isn’t one of them. Converter selection, aftermarket case, and ease of finding parts are. I am considering switching myself and looked at this thread to see whats involved. For your info my stock case 727 built by Protrans cost me 5k and the only converter available are welded units, so I have a dice 10”. So far my 3400 pound Dart has gone 5.20’s at 137 with 4% slip. But I want an aftermarket case and better converter (bolt together) options. I am also looking at a Lenco/Bruno set up. TH400 trans set up like my 727 cost over 10k.

My friend is building a pro-mod avenger, with a Keith Black solid block hemi and a big procharger. He's gonna use a two speed converted turbo 400. Im not sure how much he will have in his th400, but hes planning on 2000hp.
The car has been high sixes with a 632 chevy and four stages of nitrous.

By the way, holy thread revival, batman!

I went the powerglide route but my target was only 5.0’s-5.20’s on my budget with my heads up car. I have around 1000.00 in my case and bell and if I remember right my 1.69 low gear was 800.00. 10 clutch drum, 350.00 input shaft, and 425.00 for a valve body. Building it myself helped keep costs down. I now have three ATI cases and can switch from big block to small block bell in about 5 minutes. Probably end up being a NA bracket car now as I’m to old to play the heads up game by myself.

I have a 727 that I run with 730 hp na then hit it with 175 hp of nitrous. Its on its third season took it apart, looks good so back together it goes. I have 2500 in my trans, how much do you have in your trans, floor and front end to make this work?
730 + 175 = 905. The OP was talking about over 1000 HP.

I went the powerglide route but my target was only 5.0’s-5.20’s on my budget with my heads up car. I have around 1000.00 in my case and bell and if I remember right my 1.69 low gear was 800.00. 10 clutch drum, 350.00 input shaft, and 425.00 for a valve body. Building it myself helped keep costs down. I now have three ATI cases and can switch from big block to small block bell in about 5 minutes. Probably end up being a NA bracket car now as I’m to old to play the heads up game by myself.
I saw that in another post. Very wise of you. I am thinking I might do the same. To build a TH400 yourself with aftermarket cases and good internals it will cost north of 8k.
730 + 175 = 905. The OP was talking about over 1000 HP.
So far I have put 80 laps at 1450hp in a 3400 pound car and have yet to even show signs of wear in my 727.

Bit of trivia, here is one that goes the other way: a 727 in a GM car. I have an article about installing a 727 behind early GTOs which only had 2 speed autos.

I'm curious why one would want to go through all this hassle to put a TH400 behind their Mopar engine? I'm by no means a purist but short of a powerglide it would seem the 727 is a great 3 speed transmission. Just curious.
I have had both , why go to the trouble ? build the 727 right and forget it .
And yes , I have had a trans explosion ...

I saw that in another post. Very wise of you. I am thinking I might do the same. To build a TH400 yourself with aftermarket cases and good internals it will cost north of 8k.

So far I have put 80 laps at 1450hp in a 3400 pound car and have yet to even show signs of wear in my 727.

Your luck you will spend the money and step up to a 400 and the rumors about the 727 case still being worked on will come true and they will produce it.

Your luck you will spend the money and step up to a 400 and the rumors about the 727 case still being worked on will come true and they will produce it.
That is my luck However my biggest problem is converter selection. Right my converter works pretty good but I am in the process of upping the power. I plan on going up another 8psi and an upgrade to W8’s in my near future which will up the power significantly. I’m at the end of the line as far as converters go for a 727.

That is my luck However my biggest problem is converter selection. Right my converter works pretty good but I am in the process of upping the power. I plan on going up another 8psi and an upgrade to W8’s in my near future which will up the power significantly. I’m at the end of the line as far as converters go for a 727.

My thinking has always been the lack of a SFI has been holding back the rest of the market. Build the case and they will come on board too. For a converter company that would open up a whole new market with little upfront costs.

Happy this post came back alive as I wasn't a FABO member when it originated. I know there are so many posts on different forums always over 727 vs glide or 727 vs th400. Always interesting to see what people say and their experiences. I would have to agree with the fact that the SFI case and bell makes them much more desirable for people making higher HP. However, to say that a 727 cannot handle 1000hp is just simply not true. I fault no one for going with a glide or th400 because ultimately, more available parts, many different manufacturers, etc. But I can assure with the right parts inside a 727, it will handle well over 1000hp. I will see Rick Allison this weekend at carlisle and I will ask him what the status is on the SFI case, if its in the works, etc. I know they have been slammed and lost one of their long term employees to retirement so things they want to develop, are taking longer than expected, just because they are trying to keep up with orders and builds. Either way, I will update what Rick says about the SFI case for those who are staying 727. I will likely start a new post though so this one isn't hijacked. I am sure the originator of this post is sure happy with his th400 though. Would like to hear about his experiences since he put it in the car many years ago.

-
Back