anyone suffer from trigger finger?

-

ducter

Reaction score
It's actually called trigger thumb when it's your thumb but somehow it happened to me and it's pretty painful. Basically if I bend my thumb it hurts then gets stuck in the bent position. I have to grab it with my other hand and physically straighten it out which again hurts like a sob. Best I can figure is it's just another daily ache I am going to have to get use to but it impacts the usage of my hand making things difficult.

Hoping someone on here knows what to do about it? Dr said not much they can do outside of regular injections or surgery. I have kept it in a splint for a few days but didn't help. Have been massaging it for a few months now and outside of being painful can't say it's helping.

I have a mild case of it. Doc that did both of my carpal tunnel surgeries has told me that I have it. In my case he said it is partly because of the fact that I have extra skin in the palm of my hands. In my case he said surgery is pretty much the only fix. Seems like it has gotten better with age. When I was 23 or so my pointer finger & thumb would lock up in this painful half round shape...damn near bring a tear to my eye..

When I was going for therapy after the surgeries several of the exercises seemed to help, any chance of you going for therapy?

I've heard of "M1 thumb" which comes from mishandling an M1 Garand, but have not hear of this ailment.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YidD9tNgXio"]M1 Thumb - YouTube[/ame]

I had it and tried cortisone shots that didn't work so I had it operated on. No more pain and it works fine now.

Yeah, that's the pain ink. It's a sob. Mine is getting worse it seems and they think it's due to my work, been doing paving since I was 15 so 27 years of hand work, operating equipment etc. No insurance and my pockets are pretty light these days so not sure on therapy. Been doing exercises and massaging it several times a day but it's so tender at the base it hurts to touch it, let alone when it closes. It's to the point I have my wife straighten it out when I look away and she is getting reluctant to keep popping it straight. I have dealt with pain but this, damn near doubles ya over.

MCO, what's the MCO? Not motor city online by chance?

I have some issues with trigger finger myself. Both hands in all the fingers cept the thumb. But my right hand obviously worse than the left. It's been fairly mild lately, but with winter coming, I'm definitely gonna notice it being more common incidents. It does really hurt like a ***** though. When I was working at the junkyard, I was helping another customer on one of my off days pull a transmission. I ended up sticking my hand on top of the trans to turn a socket and extension to get the top bellhousing bolt. My hand ended up locking up nice and tight on top of the transmission. I pretty much had to rip my hand off the extension and dragged my knuckles against some nice jagged metal. Hurt like hell. I've found one thing that causes my joints in my hands to do it more often and just be in general really achey is red meat. I try not to eat it alot, if I eat it several times over a week, my hands will be killing me and seem to wanna get stuck more often.

my son had trigger thumb at 3 years old and was very painful for him. the doctor did day surgery on it about 25 min and now hes 5 and it works perfect and no pain. good luck .

my son had trigger thumb at 3 years old and was very painful for him. the doctor did day surgery on it about 25 min and now hes 5 and it works perfect and no pain. good luck .

Sucks to hear about little ones, glad it doesn't bother him now. Seems more common then I thought, I hadn't honestly heard, or knew what it was till the Dr told me what it was.

Forgot this....I have some wrist wraps they gave me after my surgery. Still sleep with them quite a bit, the compression makes my wrists feel better. I went back to my surgeon several months ago about the pain still being present. He told me that th epain is being caused by all the extra skin in the palms of my hands pushing on the scar tissue that was created from the carpal tunnel surgery....in essence, in a round-about way he said I still have carpal tunnel.

I get it now and then ever since I broke my thumb a couple of years back - very painful and using iphone makes it so much worse

My wife had it from prolonged operation of a nail gun.

(heh, heh, wife operates nail gun- what a woman!)

Had the surgery and is 100% better.

I've had it in three fingers of my right hand. Had them operated on about 8 years ago. Still working great. I now have in in one of the fingers in my right hand that wasn't cut. :roll: Not a severe as it was before, though.

Reading where it comes and goes at least gives me hope it won't feel like this constantly. It's been every day for the past 5 months I suppose. Hearing where surgery has helped so many maybe it's something I can kinda try and set money aside for.

I see patients all the time with this. Fix it.........Cortizone is temporary if it works at all. Tiny incision basicaly 2 stitches. Pain will be gone and function back. Thickninig of the tendon is the cause and all they do is free it. Think of it as a knot in a rope. The knot goes throung the pully and gets caught. That's why you have to force it back. Local freezing and approx. 15 minutes and done.

Have had it come and go in fingers on both hands. Used to wake me out of a sound sleep. Got a night splint to wear when sleeping. First time I got it was when I was putting an addition on my house, lots of hammer time!

I've had carpel tunnel issues all my life

Doc told me to take 100 mg grape seed extract, been doing so for over a year now and they have never felt better

Not sure if it would help but for what they cost worth a try

I see patients all the time with this. Fix it.........Cortizone is temporary if it works at all. Tiny incision basicaly 2 stitches. Pain will be gone and function back. Thickninig of the tendon is the cause and all they do is free it. Think of it as a knot in a rope. The knot goes throung the pully and gets caught. That's why you have to force it back. Local freezing and approx. 15 minutes and done.

Exactly how my surgeon explained it to me......

I've had carpel tunnel issues all my life

Doc told me to take 100 mg grape seed extract, been doing so for over a year now and they have never felt better

Not sure if it would help but for what they cost worth a try

I am going to give it a try.....Thank You Sir....

I have that problem with my index and middle finger on my right hand only.It happens mostly when waking up during the night.

Reading where it comes and goes at least gives me hope it won't feel like this constantly. It's been every day for the past 5 months I suppose. Hearing where surgery has helped so many maybe it's something I can kinda try and set money aside for.
will Obama care cover this?

I just had the surgery last month and am glad I did. No more pain.
My thumb would lock up at night while sleeping and was very painful to get right in the morning. It would get irritated all day long and swelling would go down at night locking up the muscles.
I highly recommend the surgery if you can do it. Losing the pain is well worth it.
Recovery takes a while but I'm now much more confident in using that thumb.

It's actually called trigger thumb when it's your thumb but somehow it happened to me and it's pretty painful. Basically if I bend my thumb it hurts then gets stuck in the bent position. I have to grab it with my other hand and physically straighten it out which again hurts like a sob. Best I can figure is it's just another daily ache I am going to have to get use to but it impacts the usage of my hand making things difficult.

Hoping someone on here knows what to do about it? Dr said not much they can do outside of regular injections or surgery. I have kept it in a splint for a few days but didn't help. Have been massaging it for a few months now and outside of being painful can't say it's helping.

did you start and new meds recently? I had a reaction similar with pinky when I started a nerve conduction problem.....

did you start and new meds recently? I had a reaction similar with pinky when I started a nerve conduction problem.....

No, not on anything. Dr said it can come from constantly gripping things, power tools, hand tools etc. I am guessing my line of work contributed to it but honestly I kinda just woke up and had this problem.

I have a lot of finger joint lock up problems. My Chiropractor has helped a lot. Some is from between my shoulder blades and some is in my wrists.. She works on both areas and I feel much better. tmm

-
Back