Anyone using ClassicHEI?

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
Here's my situation. Have had the Classic HEI kit installed, in my 72 Swinger, firing the 440 and love it.
Just installed an Autometer 3903 tac. The last wire was the one that goes to the coil. Was straightening the white wire, so I could get the wire strippers on and the wire came out of the pigtail connecter.

Any ideas as to what I might do? Hate to have a $245 tac installed and not be able to use it.

Thanks for any help.

Yeah a lot of people. I am pretty sure that's Trailbeast's site.

I would PM him and ask. He was fairly quick to respond to questions and provide technical help.

Is this "pigtail connector" the GM one that plugs to the GM coil? If so, you can get it (all parts in ClassicHEI kit) from any 85-95 GM V-8 truck (or car to 93) in the junkyard. Most parts are also avail new from auto parts or Chevy dealers, a big advantage w/ 8-pin HEI approach.

But, post a photo. We might suggest an easy fix.

Is this "pigtail connector" the GM one that plugs to the GM coil? If so, you can get it (all parts in ClassicHEI kit) from any 85-95 GM V-8 truck (or car to 93) in the junkyard. Most parts are also avail new from auto parts or Chevy dealers, a big advantage w/ 8-pin HEI approach.

But, post a photo. We might suggest an easy fix.

Yes. It's the connecter that plugs into the coil. Do the ones you are talking about, come with a wire for hooking a tac to.

Yes. It's the connecter that plugs into the coil. Do the ones you are talking about, come with a wire for hooking a tac to.

All in the world that the original HEI tach wire amounts to is the NEG side of the coil, just like everything else "in the old days," excepting CD (MSD, etc)

Yes. The thick red wire is the +12 V ignition feed. The thick white wire on the same connector is the tachometer output. The Megasquirt site and others give all the details.

-
Back