Apollo 11 moon landing 45 years ago tonight

-
I wasn't born for another six and a half years. But I have always loved anything to do with the space program.

I was only 5 months old. But do love the space program.

I can remember Daddy tellin us to shut the hell up like it was yesterday.

http://evergreenmuseum.org/

This museum is in a little town called McMinnville, south of Portland. I was blown away by what's there. There's all kinds of space program stuff including a lunar module, and a rover. The list of other amazing items is long, including the spruce goose, and a complete ICBM missile with launch control room. Any fan of the space program should stop in if near the area.

Remember watching it live ..sitting in my parents living room...

was 16 at the time....

45 years ago! Where did the time go? I remember getting the folks to buy our first color TV thinking it would be fun to watch in color. Of course the moon shots where in B&W. Go figure.

Glenn (now 60)

I am a complete fan of stuff like this.....I would have loved to see it as it was happening but I wasn't born for another 17 years after that.

I went to the space center in Houston when I was 16 and since then I have a love for this kind of thing.

Its truly awesome what humans can do. :farao:

I like that the United States space program lets women be astronauts too......that is nice of them to not leave anyone out who wants to contribute.

Why did we never go back to the moon? Seems like such a waste to spend all that money and not set up some kind of station on the moon.

Thats a shame politics played into it. I was 17 yrs old at the time and we stayed glued to the black and white tv watching as it happened. I was living in Warner Robins Ga at the time and my dad was working in electronics at Robins Air Force Base. He was offered a transfer to NASA at Coco Beach but turned it down because my Mom wanted to stay near her parents. My Dad always regretted not taking that position and the opportunities it offered. I wanted him to take that job so bad so we could live near the beach and be close to all the excitement of the race to the moon.

Wait!
I heard that some people think that the moon landing and walks were an elaborate hoax done on a stage here on earth.......

Wait!
I heard that some people think that the moon landing and walks were an elaborate hoax done on a stage here on earth.......

Which i think is a bunch of b.s., i was 7 at the time that it happened.
I love the space/NASA programs! :cheers:

You're right about "Where did the years go"!
I was listening on the car radio. I had just pulled up in front of my girlfriend's house and waited to hear it on the radio because I was afraid I might miss it if I walked up to her house and her parents weren't watching it on the TV.
The space program was so awesome in all that it accomplished culminating with the Space Shuttle program. My kids took me to see the Endeavor on display now in Los Angeles for Father's Day. It's truly amazing to be able to get right up close to it and see how big that 'glider' actually is.

View attachment P6154303.jpg

View attachment P6154312.jpg

View attachment P6154314.jpg

View attachment P6154308.jpg

View attachment P6154313.jpg

I always wanted to go down to Florida to see a shuttle launch. I never did make it, missing one by only a week back in 1992. I did manage to see, from Coco Beach, an Atlas rocket launch and that was pretty intense. I can't imagine what seeing, and feeling, a shuttle launch would have been like. I used to record them with my family's VCR (remember those?) when I was younger. I had YEARS worth of shuttle launches recorded. My mom got rid of them when I was in the Navy and she sold my childhood home and moved into an apartment.

It absolutely happened, my father helped, with computer programming.

I always wanted to go down to Florida to see a shuttle launch.

I saw several while I lived there, pretty spectacular site indeed, especially the night launch.

I actually used to deliver materials to NASA, got to drive right into the complex, pretty cool stuff!

http://evergreenmuseum.org/

This museum is in a little town called McMinnville, south of Portland. I was blown away by what's there. There's all kinds of space program stuff including a lunar module, and a rover. The list of other amazing items is long, including the spruce goose, and a complete ICBM missile with launch control room. Any fan of the space program should stop in if near the area.

Spent 2 summers in the RV Park next door to this museum when We were full time RV'ing. It's a little pricey to get in but well worth the money.I spent several hours touring it both summers.

-
Back