Approx cost to mini tub?

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
If you were to guess, what would it cost to mini tub a Duster? Has anyone paid a shop to do that recently? Also with a mini tub, can you get the back seat to fit in as normal?

I paid $1200 for a mini tub and frame connectors. Job was done by a local guy that does alot of roll cage work. Shop around is best advise unless you know someone.

That is about what I have found. I just wanted to make sure that was in line with what the job requires. Did you keep a back seat, did you have to modify it?

I don't how different it would be but it didn't affect my 68 Dart. Back seat fits. Good Luck!

you can mini tub your car your self for alot less. i did mine in the yard before i even had a shop and the back seat still fits....just split the tub down the side after you take it out and move it to the frame install a small strip of metal where you split it and weld it up or pop rev. it and seal it up i also widen the outside to touch the qt. panel ill try and get a good pic today if i can go out ( we got about 6/8" snow) so ill try you can save that money for more upgrades.......:read2:

Personally, it was money well spent. I didn't have the equipment to do the job. Also, the job my guy did was considerably better than what I see on that link. Once I paint the trunk you won't be able to tell it's been mini tubbed.

I happen to Agree with you Scatpackman I think $1200.00 is money well spent, of course it depends on the Quality of Job your looking for ?

If I was going to do a minitub, at least $800.

Is it easy, not so bad. However, you need the equipment to do it and there are some tricks to getting it done. Overlapped or buttwelded tub patch? Tub on side or on top of frame? With floor patches, then it's less than a cleaner, no floor patch install.

Subframe connectors would depend on who was providing the connectors, straight install or fabbing up a set, installing under/through floor. All those issues take different time frames.

It's all a time/materials deal to me, what's a decent rate for fabrication where you live $20-30-50-75/hr. I've installed subframe connectors in an hour if the car was ready for them, most of the time it's a 2-4 hour job. Fabbed up connectors sometimes take longer. Minitub can be done in 15-20 and really clean installs can take 30-35, mostly dependent on if the car is torn down to have it done quickly. Pulling interior, panels, etc is a real pain and time consuming. A stripped out car is easier to work on than one that's full interior.

Doing it yourself is a huge pain in the butt, but so worth it when it's done. I did mine over about a week. Spending about 4-5 hours a day on them. $1200 seems kind of high, but $800 is worth it. The first couple times that you get welding slag in your ear you will be wishing that you payed the money. LOL.

New dart2.jpg

the way i see it if you need the car soon pay someone if not your only going to learning to do what you love work on cars...then you get to tell everybody what you did....oh thats me....its all in learning for me ill try to do about anything and if i cant then ill pay someone else...take for instance my dump truck water pump went out pump was like 250.00 then they want 400.00 to put the thing on...i got some tools so i pulled it and had it back on in about 3hrs. and saved myself some funds for tires or whatever needed for the truck....i just love to do stuff if i have the time.....i enjoy it more that way...if you take your time and do it you will enjoy it....have fun and let us know what way you go..if you do it and need internet help im sure that we are all here for you man..:cheers:

Thanks for the replies. My car is completely torn down and in the bodyshop so all the interior is already removed. In fact right now the only things left on the car is the k-member, front supension and rear end so the car car roll around the shop. Still undecided on the minitub job. I still want to buy a 4 wheel disc set-up so the mini tub job would only mean I would want to buy subframe connectors and move the springs inboard.....the ole snowball keep rolling.....

id minitub it before paint...also, its quite a time consuming process, especially if you are going to do it yourself..me, id do it myself (like i did) since im way to cheap to fork over the money for something i could do...BUT make sure you do a good job...some extra time doing a good job is going to avoid a hack job look and and feel afterwards...good luck!

I live about 800 miles from the shop so I am only involved via phone or email. The project was pulled from one shop and taken to another. This down time has made me start thinking about changing directions a little bit and doing a few extras. But also it will add some extra time. Not to mention some extra money that I need to save up.

I chickened out. Started thinking about spending the money to mini tub this car and just decided that I need to stop adding extra expenses to the car. Otherwise it was going to end up being a 3-4 year build. With the money that I was thinking of spending on the mini tub and related expenses, some protouring wheels and all, I could easily have another one of my project cars painted.

-
Back