Are all 8 3/4 axle shafts same diameter ?

-

ToeCutter

Reaction score
Sorry new member and this is probably a no-brainer question, But I searched but couldn't find it. I 'm replacing my worn out 7 1/4 with an 8 3/4 SBP 741 unit I just got that needs rebuilding. After looking at Green bearing conversion, I'm assuming that all 8 3/4 axles are all the same diameter at the seal & bearing area, since they only list one p/n for green bearing setup. Just seems to good to be true since everything else on these A-bodies is different/unique from all other bodies styles. I hope so because I have to locate all the 10 x 1 3/4 brake parts, since nothing came on 8 3/4 rear-end but the backing plates.

what size brakes are on the 7 1/4 rear? if they are the 10" version save the drum & all the parts , the backing plate can be made to mount to the 8 3/4 by drilling an extra hole.
The other cars 8 3/4 has a different offset & size for the the brakes , you will need A body only parts for an a body 8 3/4 rear. Lawrence

Thanks, that's what I thought, but you know what happens when you assume things... it costs you $$$$, Unfortunately 7 1/4 has 9" drums. Thanks guys !!

-
Back