Are E3s worth it?

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I tried a set on an 1989 Dakota with a 3.9L 5 speed. Figured it was cheaper to try it on a V6 first than a V8, lol. Didn't feel any difference in power, or gains in fuel economy. Not sure if it was because of the OBD-I PCM and TBI injection. But shows on TV claim gains. So my experience on the one vehicle I tried them on wasn't worth. What are other people experience?

Uh....spark's a spark. You got scammed.

No.I do retail auto parts,for a living.We have scads,of them lying around,with dust.Best bet ,for improvement: What ignition are you running,what do expect in results?. Engine combo,would help.

I have used the bosch +4 and they seem to give me better mileage and look great when pulled to check them.

Ran a set in my 2001 s10 for 60,000 and were good when I checked,but since they were out I crammed a new set in

My 67 cuda liked them in cold weather, guys around here had trouble with them breaking. I would go with ngk or anything else since ive used them I wasnt real impressed.

Like the earlier "split-fire" plugs, you probably won't see them in 5 years. I recall those ads claimed they ran original plugs on a dyno, then split-fire plugs and measured an increase in HP and torque. Gee, the engine was cold in the first run and performed better in the 2nd run. No lie in the ad. Don't waste your money on "fully synthetic" brake fluid either. All brake fluids are synthetic. Finally, what is Techron made of?

J.C. Whitney "Fire Injectors." ----They didn't work, either.

GMiser_9.jpg

Attachments

• JC1.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 277
  • JC2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 285
  • JC3.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 281
If you think about how the spark plug actually works they are a waste. The spark is going to travel to the point of least resistance whig would be only one of the "tabs" at a time. The spark will not travel to all three at once like the ad shows and even if it did the spark would be weaker as it would be acting like a series circuit splitting the power between the two. Just my .02

You just can't go wrong with NGK.
They have been proven over and over again to be quality and performance.

This was taken from wikipedia and makes a lot of sense.

Spark plug with two side (ground) electrodes
Over the years variations on the basic spark plug design have attempted to provide either better ignition, longer life, or both. Such variations include the use of two, three, or four equally spaced ground electrodes surrounding the central electrode. Other variations include using a recessed central electrode surrounded by the spark plug thread, which effectively becomes the ground electrode (see "surface-discharge spark plug", below). Also there is the use of a V-shaped notch in the tip of the ground electrode. Multiple ground electrodes generally provide longer life, as when the spark gap widens due to electric discharge wear, the spark moves to another closer ground electrode. The disadvantage of multiple ground electrodes is that a shielding effect can occur in the engine combustion chamber inhibiting the flame face as the fuel air mixture burns. This can result in a less efficient burn and increased fuel consumption.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG...552/**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_plug

If your engine runs better after you changed the plugs it's because the plugs are new, not because they have some sort of fancy electrode shape. Any new (with sharp corners on the electrodes) OEM style plug will work just fine.

There's a LOT of total BS out there on product labels. How many of us have a "5 HP" Shop vac with a 110v plug? Can't be true, but the label says it is.

Cool 67Dart273, I love those old ads. As far as E3's I tried them for a year in my 5.9 SS/T and saw zero difference, mileage or otherwise. From what I have read the magnum engines, 6 and 8's, like copper core plugs.

I've tried all the different plugs. Been through Champions, AC(the worst), NGK
and finally went to Autolites. I was going through 2 sets a season till i got
the Autolites.
I've had the Autolites in now for about 5 years. No fouling. That was my main
problem. I think i will put in a new set this year.

del, those fire injectors remind me of looking through those old whitney catalouges when i was a young teen back in the mid 60s. if you kept adding up their parts, you would wind up with about 1000 hp and get 50 miles a gallon. lol. dave.

del, those fire injectors remind me of looking through those old whitney catalouges when i was a young teen back in the mid 60s. if you kept adding up their parts, you would wind up with about 1000 hp and get 50 miles a gallon. lol. dave.

Yeah! And the joke I remember was the guy that put all the mileage booster gadgets on his car and got busted for leaving a trail of gas wherever he went.

BC

Yeah! And the joke I remember was the guy that put all the mileage booster gadgets on his car and got busted for leaving a trail of gas wherever he went.

BC

I heard it about 1962. Guy buys a VW to get good mileage, and puts "this" on from JC Whitney, and gets 2 more mpg, then puts that, etc, etc, etc, and finally has to siphon some out every week.

my dad ran J C WHITNEY fire injectors in a warmed up VW bug in the early 1970s those plugs warped the heads on the bug motor,,,

so i was thinking that same may happen with the E3 plugs,,, im hear to say,,,,on my barracuda big carbs tons of fuel,,, i tried them end of last year 2012, and they really woke the car up, i had much better throttle responce,,,and on the high way i went from 10 MPG to 13.1 MPG at 60 MPH,,,

Attachments

• mopp_0611_08_z+carlisle_chrysler_nationals+under_the_hood_of_the_barracuda.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 170
Nice,what ignition,66. Considering boost,off a Roots,blower,nice info.

cuda has an MSD BOX AND DIZZY ,,CARBS WERE 2 650 CFM HIGHLY MODIFIED FLOWING 862 CFM EACH

-
Back