Are these really decent?

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Are these really decent?

20180204_193231.jpg

Cheap Chinese Orange ignition box. You get what you pay for. If your asking? You probably don't like it either.

I was skeptical from the get go when i saw it in the catalog. I am using an OEM electronic distributor, and an HEI module.

Like the orange ignition box from mopar was made with all american parts inside it;...LOL

It's just a sub par cheap stock box painted Orange. Not my money or car so I really don't care.

Didnt intend to get one of these, was just curious about it, in case others were concidering it.

Is it worth it just tor the distributor, or better off buying a remanned one from rockauto. Not for me mind you. I have one OEM 1974 unit i rebuilt, and 2 complete rebuilder spares i plan on keeping.

I have bought the small block Chevy HEI units for my demo derby cars with a 350. They run as good as a stock unit and are only 35 bucks shipped complete cap and all. Crazy to think that includes the dist., module, cap, rotor, and coil.

Sad to see Mopar going to Chinesium.
Bought a new starter for my neon, from the dealer. China. No returns.

I was ready to puke.

I saw on the Internet, where the transistor(?) sticking out of a Chinese made orange box was just a hollow shell. There was no guts to it, and it wasn't connected to anything on the other side.

With a dist to run right you want it to have the same curve or darn close, rock auto has like a ten year spread and the curve is kind of in the middle, that is why there are no distributor numbers on them, just FYI

I did a lean burn swap in my old 79 Chrysler. Inexpensive, yes. Did it work ?, yes.Would I recommend it for a 600 HP fire breather capable of 7000 rpm ? No.

To the OP...If it's anything like the Summit brand distributor kit for Mopar, it's junk. Couldn't get the cap to sit straight, didn't spin smoothly, etc. Chinese crap! Sent it back and found a good distributor, wiring harness and control box off a Cordoba in the wrecking yard. Added a FBO plate...works great!

As i said as the OP i had no intentions of buying one of these. I have 3 OEM electronic units. One i rebuilt. The others are spares.

I never seen the Jegs unit before.
I myself have had excellent results with the MP Chrome box & the FBO set up. Both are excellent. I hear excellent things with the “revenator” box.
You can also get a ready to run distributor from Johnny pace at pace performance.

To the OP...If it's anything like the Summit brand distributor kit for Mopar, it's junk. Couldn't get the cap to sit straight, didn't spin smoothly, etc. Chinese crap! Sent it back and found a good distributor, wiring harness and control box off a Cordoba in the wrecking yard. Added a FBO plate...works great!
Gonna go FBO with mine too

At least the price dropped from ~$280 on those. Why go to the trouble of complicated wiring to retro-fit the 1970's ECU when easier, cheaper and better to wire GM 8-pin HEI (many posts)? Even easier is the $45 Ningbo HEI distributor on ebay (SB & BB, no slant version) and an e-core coil. Keep reading.

i have one of the proform kits in my 512, revs to 7k no problem havent even touched distributer yet seeing i just got car running a few weeks before winter, overall seems like a good value to me, time will tell

-
Back