ARP Bolt Kits

-

6dart9

Reaction score
I bought a kit for my 73 340 and the timing cover bolts are all too small in diameter.

Anyone have this problem before?

It does not look like the threads were repaired some of the bolts on the lower portion are even too short.

I did one of there bolt kits a few years ago on my 340,the t/c bolts were ok
but i recall having to add more threads to the intake bolts? i think and even
shortening a few.Them are some hard bolts to cut and thread!!!

I had a BAD experience with the ARP small block fastener kit I bought. It looked like it was half Mopar, and half.... I don't know. Chevy? Ford? Nash?

I had to make plenty of trips to my well stocked neighborhood Sears to buy (again...) all the mis-matched crap ARP sent me. Fortunately they stock black phosphate bolts to match what I had. My whole timing cover/water pump bolts were wrong, along with the intake. And they came shrink-wrapped on cards! As a matter of fact, I still have to replace my intake manifold bolts.

<sigh...> Another project I forgot about. :angry7:

That is funny you say that about the intake bolts i was looking at my kit and it looks like only half the intake bolts are there.
The kits are not cheap and you would think they would have this down. I emailed them but got no response. If I don't hear something tomorrow i will call them. all i want is the right bolts and i will send them the wrong ones.

I had the same problems with ARP I called them and they sent me the right bolts at my expense. They told me i could get a credit for sending the wrong ones back, but never did..
HKeller

When doing my timing chain cover and especially the water pump bolts, I've always used stainless with the reason they will never rust, should not seize up and I understand they are somewhat stronger than Grade 8 bolts. Thinking about this - good or bad idea? How about using them elsewhere on the motor (if they're available in the proper length and size)?

Well, I will NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM EVER!!!!!!!!!! I just hate these outfits that have their heads up their A$$e$. I dont see how these companies can charge as much as they do and then send everyone the wrong stuff. My brother ordered some FORD stuff from them I think. Anyway, he didn't even get everything.

If you use arp stainless then yes they are stronger, however if you use regular stainless steel bolts then they are not as strong as grade 8. I learned my less on my heads about stainless and now I am using only ARP or grade 8 bolts.. if you are using stainless make sure you use antiseize on the bolts.

oh and stay away from alloy boltz.com, their ss bolts break really easily.

I had a problem with them with the main bearing bolt set i bought from them. The ones on the rear were too tall to bolt the oil pump down. I called them and got some screw ball on the phone. he put me on hold then came back and told me that he would send me the right bolts for $18.00. I asked him about the $50.00 or more that I had already spent for the wrong ones. He again put me on hold then came back and told me he would put the right ones in the mail at no cost. But what got me Is the set was for a small block mopar they should know that the clearance back there is tight. We shouldn't have a problem when we spend that kind of money for a set of bolts. My two cents

I had a problem with them with the main bearing bolt set i bought from them. The ones on the rear were too tall to bolt the oil pump down. I called them and got some screw ball on the phone. he put me on hold then came back and told me that he would send me the right bolts for $18.00. I asked him about the $50.00 or more that I had already spent for the wrong ones. He again put me on hold then came back and told me he would put the right ones in the mail at no cost. But what got me Is the set was for a small block mopar they should know that the clearance back there is tight. We shouldn't have a problem when we spend that kind of money for a set of bolts. My two cents

That rear main stud area needs to be massaged some.....

I relief-cut the cap and used a shorter stud.
Barracuda278-vi.jpg

It does get tight in there....
Barracuda276-vi.jpg

This problem is expected when using their studs. I didn't know there was clearance issue's with their bolts too.... I wonder what's up with that?

Just got off the phone with them. Not too nice at all. I guess I have to send them the bolts i want replaced then they will send the right ones back to me.

what a freaking hassle. Probably won't use their kits ever again.

My ARP mopar kit was a total mess too. Front cover bolts and water pump bolts were not correct. I only got about half the oil pan bolts. They suck.

Though I havent ordered a Mopar engine kit from the outfit below, I have had great luck with these guys on other projects:

http://www.totallystainless.com/

As far as the strength of stainless bolts, here you go

http://www.totallystainless.com/yoursafety.htm

Steve

for the timing chain cover and water pump bolts ..i drive down the street to the local hardware store and buy them...

they have some in stainless steel also...

Just got off the phone with them. Not too nice at all. I guess I have to send them the bolts i want replaced then they will send the right ones back to me.

what a freaking hassle. Probably won't use their kits ever again.

Yea I was counting the bolts for the oil pan and it looks like there is only about half of them as well

for the timing chain cover and water pump bolts ..i drive down the street to the local hardware store and buy them...

they have some in stainless steel also...
Thats what I am going to do. I didn't want to because i had spent the $$ on the good kit that is supposed to have everything
:cussing:

Jesus, I just cant believe that crap. I alway's go to my local Tacoma screw. I've never had 1 single problem getting anything I've ever needed.

I buy the kits because I like 12 point stainless, and those are hard to come by at hardware stores.

I've done a multitude of engines over the past 10 years and have never had a problem with their engine bolt kits. Only problem I had was with one of the timing cover bolts (small block). The head stuck out too far and hit the water pump. didn't relize it until we fired the motor and I had water seeping from behind the pump. Pulled the pump and found that when I cinched up the pump the head of the ARP bolt caused a crack. Lesson learned in that I now use a regular bolt that clears.

ARP,is top of the line when it comes to fasteners,any engine builder who knows what he's doing uses nothing but...

Im not disagreeing with the quality and such. Its just the packaging (wrong bolts) and customer service i was bummed about.

Just get the water pump and timing chain cover bolts locally. No need to have super strong fasteners there anyway. Watch that lower bolt on the timing cover, driver's side, if its too long it will hit the #1 cylinder sleeve. And you will need sealant on the bolts that go into the water jackets.

ARP is what the pros use, best bolts around. I buy their stuff by the box load. The engine bolt kits are a complex part number with lots of ways to go wrong. Not really the best part for a guy who doesn't have a fully stocked hardware drawer to buy.

-
Back