AS66RC noise in a new 3500 Ram Hemi

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
New work truck, 2022 3500HD, 6.4Hemi. 100 miles on it. Since I picked it up with 30 miles on it, it has been making a hissing/squealing noise only under load and it seems to be coming from the AS66RC (?) transmission? I can't hear it under the hood as it only makes the noise in gear and under load, even the slightest load and it will be audible and it sounds like its coming from under me or behind me. It changes pitch when the gear/RPM changes. When I coast or barely feather the throttle I can make it go away but it's bugging me as this is brand friggin new but did sit for a year in a lot before It was assigned to me. Darn suspension is as stiff as a buckboard , I can't drive with a coffee in the console without it shaking out when driving down the road...small price to pay for a new truck I suppose.

Last edited:
Something rubbing on the driveshaft?
I had a similar experience with a Ford Expedition that I owned a few years ago. One of the heat shields got bent over and would scrape the front drives haft under anything more than very light acceleration. Drove me nuts for a month before I was able to find out what was going on.

New work truck, 2022 3500HD, 6.3Hemi. 100 miles on it. Since I picked it up with 30 miles on it, it has been making a hissing/squealing noise only under load and it seems to be coming from the AS66RC (?) transmission? I can't hear it under the hood as it only makes the noise in gear and under load, even the slightest load and it will be audible and it sounds like its coming from under me or behind me. It changes pitch when the gear/RPM changes. When I coast or barely feather the throttle I can make it go away but it's bugging me as this is brand friggin new but did sit for a year in a lot before It was assigned to me. Darn suspension is as stiff as a buckboard , I can't drive with a coffee in the console without it shaking out when driving down the road...small price to pay for a new truck I suppose.
Don't you have warranty to have the ram dealer figure it out or maybe there is a bulletin they would know about

It's totally under warranty but it's my work truck that usually requires me to move out of it into a loaner if it's in for any amount of time. Just a pain if it's something like "they do that" or 'check the Flux capacitor' ....

Something rubbing on the driveshaft?
I had a similar experience with a Ford Expedition that I owned a few years ago. One of the heat shields got bent over and would scrape the front drives haft under anything more than very light acceleration. Drove me nuts for a month before I was able to find out what was going on.
Would not explain the RPM related variance. It sounds like a squealing idler but it seems to be coming from under or behind me? I'll have to get under there on a weekend and have the boy rev it so I can listen for it. I can put it in a neutral coast and still hear it if I lightly rev the motor.

A 3500 Ram has the heaviest duty suspension, so I can see why it shakes you a lot. And of course depending on the roads, here in NY there are so bad my 1500 Ram does a lot of shaking.

It makes the noise all the time when cold. I crawled under there and it sounds like it's coming from flex plate area. I wonder if it could be a crank end play issue, maybe under load the crank is moving back against the pump bushing and causing a noise? Weird....next weekday off I'll see if I can swing into a dealership and have them listen and check it out. If they say "they just do that" I'm calling BS.

Keep on truckin. When somethin falls out, you found it.

I don't know if Cable guys are as bad to mess with their buddies new trucks as Power Linemen are....but look on the driveshaft to see if it has a big zip tie wrapped around it! The do make a buzzing sound when they hit the exhaust or something while the driveshaft is spinning a zillion MPH. Not that I've ever done that to anybody!

:rofl:

It does it at idle when cold. It is engine speed, not driveshaft speed. I can hear the pitch change when it shifts gears. Everything tells me its a belt driven squeak but its coming from flex plate area.

-
Back