Attn: Computer repair guys

-

Vic Storm

Reaction score
I have a Compaq Presario C700 laptop 2 years old, Pentium duo core, our local cpu guy said everything was fine but the mother board cooked. He said he can still recover everything. My question is he wanted $700 to put another mother board in it. That seems high when you can get mother boards on ebay for a third that much. Anybody out there that could fix this for me cheaper or is it now a high dollar paperwieght? I appreciate your thoughts thanks.

Tony

Unfortunately Vic, motherboards in laptops are very proprietary unlike desktops. And yes, new ones can be crazy expensive and the labor (no "u" :)) to disassemble and rebuild a notebook from the ground up can get out of hand. Buying a non-functioning used system for the parts can sometimes save some $$, but you have to know whether the reason it isn't working is the same as yours.

Personally, I'd grab the hard drive and put it in an enclosure, buy a new book, and copy the data (not programs) onto your new book. Then you can erase the original drive, and use it to backup your data files - pics, music, spreadsheets etc.

Grant

Unfortunately Vic, motherboards in laptops are very proprietary unlike desktops. And yes, new ones can be crazy expensive and the labor (no "u" :)) to disassemble and rebuild a notebook from the ground up can get out of hand. Buying a non-functioning used system for the parts can sometimes save some $$, but you have to know whether the reason it isn't working is the same as yours.

Personally, I'd grab the hard drive and put it in an enclosure, buy a new book, and copy the data (not programs) onto your new book. Then you can erase the original drive, and use it to backup your data files - pics, music, spreadsheets etc.

Grant

save your money

x2

Recovering all you data and taking it apart and reloading it back to the new mother board or what ever takes time and I think this is why the high charge that tec's get, I will talk to brother and see if we can take care of this inhouse our other wize fix you up..
I will see if I can get him to read this thread and see what can happen

To Original Poster,

Not sure if you've spent the money yet,,,,,,,,,but you can buy a new lap top for less than that repair bill..........and you can remove the hard drive from the old comp......and "slave" it to the new computer and extract any info. you need.

Then trash the old comp. and old hard drive,,,,,remember to actually destroy the old hard drive,,,,,I mean hammer or drill........people can extract info from Hard Drives and steal identities/credit card numbers etc.

Bad Shrimp

buy a new laptop...remove old hard drive from old computer...get a ATA or SATA to USB adapter...plug old hard drive into new laptop...get the old info off of it...

then convert your old hard drive into external back up drive...

I have fried motherboards before in my laptops. For the $$$ you will spend on repairs you can get a new unit with the fastest and latest technology. You can get a pretty good one for $700 nowdays. If you just needed a hard drive or a battery or power supply I would repair it but motherboards, keyboards and screens are specific to models and either used or expensive new parts are needed if they are available.
toolman

sounds like some good advice her Vic, I will do my best to get ahold of Ken

To Original Poster,

Not sure if you've spent the money yet,,,,,,,,,but you can buy a new lap top for less than that repair bill..........and you can remove the hard drive from the old comp......and "slave" it to the new computer and extract any info. you need.

Then trash the old comp. and old hard drive,,,,,remember to actually destroy the old hard drive,,,,,I mean hammer or drill........people can extract info from Hard Drives and steal identities/credit card numbers etc.

Bad Shrimp

Why?? Just keep the old hard drive in an external USB enclosure and use it as a backup drive, or throw MP3's on it etc... unless you just like throwing away money.

My MSI brand mobo retailed for 215.00. I bought it as a open box special from zipzoomfly for 72.00. That was over 5 years ago. No problems with it yet.

Hey Vic, Are you going to be at MMW this year???

I agree,for $700 you can get a new laptop.I purchased a little Acer Netbook awhile back for $200 and I love it,it dont have a DVD Rom Drive ,but thats fine,it works for me.

Thanks guys, Jeff I can't make MMW this year, got a really sick daughter in Rolla so we are tied up. Hopefully next year with my 66.

Nothing personal but computer repair stores bread and butter is not investigating laptops or personal computers. Too many times i have been ask to look at a computer, laptop/desk top with the statement that the computer store says bla,bla,bla. As a matter of fact I just received a dell lap top with a "bad mother board and hard drive. I spoke to the computer man in person when I picked it up! Had it up and running in an hour. Added memory, installed windows 7 and updated, added some thank you software ( software that is free and is really cool), call Ann and she was told after I picked it up to go ahead and buy a new one. I called her to give her the good news, before I could finish she told me to just keep it for parts!!! OK I have a 5-6 hundred dollar computer to add to my businesses. Up to 6 now. Anyway.
Ship me your computer, no charge to look. Might upgrade your processor and Bios. Let me know and I will give you me mailing address. I would be more that happy to help you.! Thats' how I roll. Ask memike! (Hey bro.):-D

Recovering all you data and taking it apart and reloading it back to the new mother board or what ever takes time and I think this is why the high charge that tec's get, I will talk to brother and see if we can take care of this in house our other wiz fix you up..
I will see if I can get him to read this thread and see what can happen

Nothing personal but computer repair stores bread and butter is not investigating laptops or personal computers. Too many times i have been ask to look at a computer, laptop/desk top with the statement that the computer store says bla,bla,bla. As a matter of fact I just received a dell lap top with a "bad mother board and hard drive. I spoke to the computer man in person when I picked it up! Had it up and running in an hour. Added memory, installed windows 7 and updated, added some thank you software ( software that is free and is really cool), call Ann and she was told after I picked it up to go ahead and buy a new one. I called her to give her the good news, before I could finish she told me to just keep it for parts!!! OK I have a 5-6 hundred dollar computer to add to my businesses. Up to 6 now. Anyway.
Ship me your computer, no charge to look. Might upgrade your processor and Bios. Let me know and I will give you me mailing address. I would be more that happy to help you.! Thats' how I roll. Ask memike! (Hey bro.):-D
Thank you brother :-D There you are Vic :happy10:

-
Back