Auto Trans. Shifts real hard into 2nd gear and hard shift into Rev.

-

scamp1975

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I have a 1975 Scamp /6 225, 67,000 miles, I have notice that when it shifts into 2nd gear{ auto trans.} 50% of the time it is a real hard shift, and 80% of the time when I put it into rev. It shifts real hard also, I had the trans fluid, Filter changed and it did not help. Would it help if I adjusted the bands in the trans.? and is it hard to do? I just had back surgery so I do have to rely on a shop to do the work for me, for now!
I would like to get some advance from you guys before I go to the shop. or maybe have a chance to recover first than be able to do it myself!!
usa.gif

Thank you all for your time. as soon as I can learn more about this computer stuff, I will post a pic on my scamp.
Stitch

Sounds like the throttle pressure is too high. Would any other recent service have caused a change in that linkage ?
It could be a reaction for a broken mount/support somewhere that feels like a hard shift too.

Good morning and welcome aboard Stitch.
By no means am I a good tech here, we have some of the best of the best tech's to help you along.
It could be your kick down linkage to your throttle, that runs down to your trans.
Does first gear wind way out and shift late, or can you just stay off the gas a little and it shifts to second almost right away. If it is set to far forward it could be keeppng your pressure valve on your trans to far open at start up and just giving you to much presure off the pump to your clutch pressure.
I will see if I can find a picture and see if it will help, But like I said there are many tech's here that are more qualified to help you on this.:happy10:

Thank you Memike and Redfish for getting back to me so fast, You guys are right, first gear does wind out and shifts late sometimes and I can control the shift with the gas pedal, When i start the car it does high idle for a while, then i will kick it down, before I leave{I baby the car so much} Would that pressure valve cause rev. to shift hard also?
I just got new motor mounts and everything checked out for broken mounts in Aug 2010, because i thought that might be the trouble for the hard shifts.
I never knew about the pressure valve to the trans.
Is that something I can do on my own? I have a manual for my scamp, I will check it out!
Memike you are a good tech, Thank you both so much.
Take care God Bless
Anything else you think about please let me know, I will be chatting with you all soon.
Stitch

There is a return spring that is supposed to be on the transmission kickdown linkage that pulls it up against the carburetor peg. If this spring is broken or has come loose, this will cause the problem you are having. Look at the carburetor where the throttle linkage hooks up. You will have the carburetor return spring and there is supposed to be a kickdown return spring as well. Check to see that the kickdown linkage is all the way toward the FRONT of the car. It it is not, this could be your problem. I don't have anything with an automatic, or I would post you a picture. This would be the first thing I would check because it is a common failure and it is also a CHEAP place to start.

Thank you for all of the info. This site has really been a big help!!
Take care, I will keep you all up dated.

Stitch

I might add to all the good info...when shifting into reverse, there is a "reverse" boost pressure valve in the valve body, and with a higher idle reverse can be "aggresive" also is there a shift kit installed, if so most of the time the line pressure is increased which causes harsh engagement of all clutches/bands. [this is good for us hot rodders!] So in the long run: line pressure should be checked/ low/reverse servo pressure should be checked prior to any "valve body' adjustments are made. Of coarse follow the above checks first, it could be as simple as the "kick down linkage" out of adjustment/spring missing!

If its not in the air...it aint leavin hard enough!

Attachments

• Copy of Rob's_65_Milan fall 08.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 215
Thanks Rob for the info, No shift kit {yet} She is as stock as it can get. I will check that out. Did not know about boost pressure valve.
This site has been a big help, I have to sign up to be a gold member real soon.
You all take care
God Bless
Stitch

-
Back