• Manual

Votes: 81 50.3%
  • Automatic

Votes: 80 49.7%

• Total voters
-

Tozz

Reaction score
I have 74 Charger with a 383 60 over pushing about 550 hp. I have a 727 3 speed with a manual valve body. Should I keep the automatic or switch to a manual? I do plan on running it so the setup I have now is ideal but I enjoy driving stick and I think a muscle car like that should be manual. Another thing is if it's manual it's going to be really hard to keep traction considering the amount of power in a rw drive car. Give your opinion on which I should choose and the reason for it

depends what you want it for...

racing? - nothing shifts faster than a machine, so auto on the floor...

just for fun/ street .... nothing better more(((FUN))) than manual - plus it'll add more value in the end.

More consistent launches with the automatic less stress on parts. If you don't have a Dana 60 rear axle you will need to spend more $ on your rear end to handle the extra stress if you plan on actually hooking it up. I love my third gen Charger....

vbpgimage.php

I used to love stick shifts. In my old age, and arthritis, I can no longer row one around. I "ended up" with a TF, reverse manual valve. It's a VERY good 2nd best

Street car or track car? Have seen a few folks at Spokane County Raceway that can row thru the gears like they were born doing it.

Sounds like a personal choice to me, and something I think most wouldn't want others making that decision on.
I sure wouldn't leave that open for others opinions.

As an ice breaker first post it's as good a question as any I guess. :D

Automatic, hips and shoulders aint what they use to be, but I have enjoyed a few 4 speed cars in the past..

Auto with manual valve body. Beast of both worlds.

My dad used to love his '73 roadrunner 340 4 speed, it doesn't see much road anymore because its a manual. In his words "i just get sick of shifting, I used to love it, now I love my automatics and A/C"

An automatic is a good way to go if you plan on keeping the car for as long as possible, If you love the manual, go for it, but I would go for an automatic for a daily cruiser.

Thought provoking question. I've never lived with a manual valve body automatic, so I can't address that specifically. If I had to choose one or the other, I choose an automatic for a DD. It's great for putting about at slow speeds and stop'n go driving. I like not having to concentrate on clutch/throttle coordination and whether I have selected the proper gear. That said, I have a 2014 Dart with a 6-speed manual. For canyon carving and driving in winter mess, I prefer it to a slush box. There are no uncontrolled up-shifts or down-shifts to break traction. I can dependably start in 2d gear on ice in the 14 that the 73 & 72 I have won't do.

You answered your own question. You prefer a manual so get a manual. I have a bad knee and hip but I'll be damned if I let that stop me from rowing my own gears. Hell, it's good exercise for those bad joints. I'd switch to a hydraulic clutch though. It's all about the fun factor for me. Especially if this is a street car. :burnout:

How's your clutch knee? was asked of me months ago when the subject came up. My 4 speed is fun but....................Try driving a stick in a parade or a bumper-to-bumper cruise. It'll kill ya. (especially if you're 60) After a couple hours around town I get tired of shifting.

904. 2.75 first gear. Reverse manual valve body. 3500 stall. All behind 340. Barracuda street car. Would not have anything else.

depends what you want it for...

racing? - nothing shifts faster than a machine, so auto on the floor...

just for fun/ street .... nothing better more(((FUN))) than manual - plus it'll add more value in the end.

What he said

You know you want that pistol grip 4-speed ! just go get it and be happy? I did.

I've been a SBM stick-man since 1970. Sure I've had some teener-autos along the way.Some with Semi-auto shift kits in them, which I liked a lot.
With a big motor like that, and a 4 speed, I think,you will be powering through the gears so fast the fun factor will wear off real quick. With the A/T, it will remain in each range just a little longer.
However, with a hi-stall, that gets old too. The auto will let you run a slightly bigger cam without low-speed problems.So, if you're running more than about 250*@050, I imagine an auto would be the way to go. I ran a 292/509 in a 360-4spd, which they say is a 248* cam. In a DD it was not the best choice I ever made. I now have a 230/549 cam, and am much happier. If you have plenty of torque down low, you may find yourself doing a lot of shifting with a stick.
If it was mine, And I was going to track it now and then, I'd put in an A518, and run a little gear in the back, depending on usage.
I voted auto.

How's your clutch knee? was asked of me months ago when the subject came up. My 4 speed is fun but....................Try driving a stick in a parade or a bumper-to-bumper cruise. It'll kill ya. (especially if you're 60) After a couple hours around town I get tired of shifting.

Parades are for sissies. lol

I like the auto with the higher HP, build it good with a hi quality hi stall and run drag radials nothing will touch it.

I would hate to think how boring the valiant would be with a auto. I have done both sorry I am going to keep rowing gears and grinning ear to ear. Funny how people look in the window and see that white shifter ball and smile. That does not happen with a automatic

Bracket racing- 727 auto
Street road,Hot Rod--Row Row-Row your gears!

Kinda my feeling. My car was consistent when i raced the 904, but its kinda boring. My much slower daily driver is much more fun at the track with a stick.

I've always been a three pedal guy. My daily driver is a 6 speed Infiniti coupe and yes I've been in many traffic jams. Even after having a stroke that affected my left side, I continue to row the gears. Working the clutch is good exercise for my left leg. Guess I'm just old and set in my ways.

Consistent drag racing: 727 /rmvb- Turbo Action...
Actual fun: 833 4 SPD, Pistol Grip please..
Voted stick,FWIW.... Don't even start me, on 71-74 Chargers. Turned down a 400 Magnum 4 speed Charger for 5 bones, just because the 833 wasn't in it. (Another mistake,on my part....)

-
Back