Automatic to manual conversion

-

DukeTheDuster

Duke The Duster
Reaction score
I was wondering what goes into an automatic to manual conversion and what I will need this is for a 1974 Plymouth Duster /6. Also I was wondering if a mechanic shop would do this? Thanks!

It would be a very rare mechanic that would want to work on it at all. Mostly we are "enthusiasts", (old mechanics), or hobbyists.

I am sure you could find one of the smaller shops to take on the job but its going to cost far more than it should as it is mainly just labor (assuming you sourced all the parts). In realty, its basically a bolt in deal (if you are going with factory parts) with the exception of the floor panel. The trick is assembling all of those parts. Of course you could talk to one of the conversion companies for a "kit" to convert it like SST or American Power Train. The kits run around $3000 depending on what you want (5 or 6 speed). So, using a kit as a base, I would think that if you bought one and took the car to a "mechanic" in the end you are going to be into it for $5000+ (depends on how fast they work but you can figure $70/hr and unless they have experience doing this, you are looking at 20-40 hours of labor (yes I know it can be done quicker but a shop isn't going to be in any rush.

Probably about $1, 200 in good used parts and a few new parts. And probably $300 worth of tools from Harbor Freight for special stuff - Jacks, jack stands and extensions, weird little tools. Maybe even if you need a place for cover $230 for a Costco garage.?
Do it yourself, we all did. I even took mine out again and rebuilt it it was easy...
You're going to want to rebuild that walkie ftont end too...

IMO
A slanty can really benefit from a proper 4 speed conversion. But honestly, it's a lotta money for no cash return.
IMO
a better alternative is to swap out the rear gears for something about 30% bigger, even more if a city-car; and a slightly higher stall TC. Or just go V8; it will probably cost the same-ish and more than double your torque, while adding a buncha rpm.

-
Back