"awesome" KB 107 surprise

-

ColeTrickle74

Reaction score
So I finally started putting my engine together, got the mains torqued down and I decided to start putting the pistons together. Check out these valve reliefs, 5 out of 8 are garbage. Brand new out of the box.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Its 8 pm here, I was gonna email them tonight or just call in the morning. My first set I got, which someone smashed pressing in the pins were all fine, like the one in the 1st and 3rd picture. For some reason the valve reliefs got screwed up on 5 of the pistons in this set. On one of them it almost goes all the way down to the ring groove.

I don't think you'll have a problem with them making it right. I had a small problem with the Speed Pro's in my MP shortblock and although I was only looking for a couple pins and 1 piston they sent me another complete set of 8 with rods attatched.

Yeah I'm not to worried about them exchanging for a new set, just pisses you off when you have the weekend planned.

KP: Since I planned on putting the whole short block together, might as well use the pan for something if I can't bolt it up, shiny way to keep it covered :)

Whhooopppsss. Well, at least you found it before you assembled it. It happens with everyone's stuff once in a while.

Yeah thank god I caught it,when I first opened them number 1 was perfect so I closed the box up until I got everything else to start putting it together. Good thing I got floating pin rods, because I would of been pissed if I started pressing them in.

WOW! Thems a bit screwed up for 107's!

What was the outcome of it all?

must be a assembly line defect no reason they shouldnt fix it KB pistons are the best just a minor set back hope it works out

The pistons that have the relief on the edges are the newer design. The more normal looking pistons/valve reliefs are the older design.
That is not a problem with the pistons, you just need a set of the same 8 style. They will send you back pistons with relief on the edges of the valve pockets.
I run alot of KB pistons and almost never have any problems with them. Infact the only problem I DO have once in a while is I find ding's on the ring lands not allowing the rings to go into the land.
That's a handling issue not a manufacturing issue.

Keep us posted. My machinist had trouble with KB's. He needed one piston and they wouldn't sell him just one. They wanted him to buy another whole set.

ok, they did not cut the reliefs deep enough it looks like.

Look at the bottom of the pistons and tell me if you have 'made in mexico', 'made in the USA' .

Then weigh them all 1 at a time and tell us how far off in weight they are.

If you have some of both mex/us pistons, you'll notice that the mexico pistons weigh a lot more to the tune of 8-9 grams.

I'll post pics of my KB243's and there valve reliefs to ease your mind.

My KB107's look like pictures 1 & 3. I have sets in .030 & .040.

I just got a new set of these today and the relief valves are not cut all the way, I must have the old style. I do have a question on these pistons. Are the reliefs the same size, by looking at them they seem to be. I am hoping when I install them they are at zero deck.

If the deck height was set properly you wil have them at zero deck. If not, they may be a little taller or shorter.

this i believe was for unshrouding the valve at early opening events..
If i remember correctly...the 2nd pic...is how they are now..
fwiw..
cheapst.

-
Back