Axle Question???

-

mowrycuda68

Reaction score
I got a housing narrowed it was supposed to be 52 5/8 wide I recieved it 52 1/2 wide (housing flange to flange) 1/8 shorter. I was told thats no big deal. I just want to be sure before I order axles.

Will I be able to use stock length axles?

I have Green bearings already will I be able to use them? Since they are non adjustable I will not be able to adjust the end play.

I was thinking of ordering the axles 1/16 shorter than stock do I need to do that or will stock length work?

I guess my real question is how much room is there between the axles and the carrier pin. I hope I can use the stock axles with the green bearings.

I guess my real question is how much room is there between the axles and the carrier pin. I hope I can use the stock axles with the green bearings.
Stock axles TOUCH the center pin, or acually, the little floating block. With green bearings, the axles should not push on the center pin at all. If your housing is shorter than stock, your gonna need some real good measurments to determine the axle length you need.

how should I go about measuring for correct axle size. If what youare saying is correct... the axles shouldn't push on the pin then 1/16 shorter on each axle should be ok right?

How would I go about knowing if one axle tube is shorter than the other. It seems like since I will be using green bearings maybe I will order them stock and grind the difference off... Bad Idea?

Since the center pin "floats" it will need contact with that pin huh. or is some clearance between the pin and the axle ok?

So my tape measure is measuring about 1/8th over since the tip slides out so I think I am going to buy a new one and remeasure

Actually the tape measure is supposed to be loose on the end to compensate for the thickness of the hook when you hook it on something or push it flat against something when you measure. If I remember correctly my housing was cut down before I got it and it was 52 3/8 and I had axles cut by Moser to the factory length

If the axles are just a tad too long, you can actually just trim the little bit off from the splines with a chop saw as long as the splines are long enough (which aftermarket axles should have). That was told to me directly from Cass (DoctorDiff).

-
Back