Axle stuck in warped 8.75 housing...please give advice..ty

-
I need a diesel truck slide hammer
Do you know anybody with a porta-power?
Mine has a spreader that goes into tight places, works like a pair of scissors that pushes when opened.

Just hate to cut off flange unless it's last option

Looks like you have trees on your property, brace it behind two close trees and chain the yoke to the hitch of your truck. Bounce the throttle a few times and I bet you can pull it straight “er”.

Attach a chain to the studs and hang the chain from a tree then pick the housing up and slam it up and down. The housing then becomes the slide hammer.

Attach a chain to the studs and hang the chain from a tree then pick the housing up and slam it up and down. The housing then becomes the slide hammer
I love outside the box thinking!

Is there a possibility that the axel splines have twisted in the spider gears?

I would assume that there was a ton of HP put into the axle to bend the housing like that.

Back to the original question:

How would I straighten the housing to get the axle out.

Set up the rear end on jack stands or on an open 30 gallon drum with the pumpkin pointing down. Then do this with a chain and a hydraulic jack.

20220514_003840.jpg

Might even be able ^^^ to save the housing if you take your time. Tap the bend area with a 3 lb hammer as you are jacking the jack.

maybe if you took all the carrier bolts out it would let the center section enough give to take some of the bind off. Wouldn't take much time and worth a shot...

maybe if you took all the carrier bolts out it would let the center section enough give to take some of the bind off. Wouldn't take much time and worth a shot...

Not a bad idea, back off carrier bolts 3/8" then turn the front pinion yoke with a breaker bar and socket, while someone else is working on pulling out the axle as you turn.

That would help save the splines on the axle as it is coming out.

I have a fixture for straightening rear end housings. I mostly do ford 9" but I have the stuff for an 8 3/4. Shipping is probably a deal breaker unless you have a way to get it to me and back. PM me if you think it would work out.

I have a fixture for straightening rear end housings. I mostly do ford 9" but I have the stuff for an 8 3/4. Shipping is probably a deal breaker unless you have a way to get it to me and back. PM me if you think it would work out.
Pics?

Do all the above, loosen all the bolts on the housing, including the other axle, use a come along to put pressure on the axle that you want to remove, then tap the housing and axle with a 5lb hammer and see if it comes out. Pressure and hammering usually produces results.

Everything is loose..carrier looks like peg leg..still froze tight...I would hate to cut end cap off and axle still froze in pig..can't upload pics...says security error...wtf...

How long has it been sitting on the ground? They draw moisture every day from the the heat cycles of day to night. Could be solid rust inside.

Can you turn the pinion with a breaker bar?

There is an axle end play nut on the passenger side, back that way off then pound the axle in till it stops. Then pound the other axle in till it stops. work the axles back and forth. If they don't move, you are pretty much screwed.

-
Back