B body 8 3/4

-
You should fire your machinist.Three of my own are running drilled axles,I have friends in different states that use them.Axle hubs??????? 8 3/4 axle is a one piece item.If you have enough torque to twist an axle apart you need a DANA!!!

Trick to running redrilled axles is you have to use cap screws instead of pressed on lugs. They trap the hole and you screw in the cap screw from behind. That way you don't loose axle flange area from the extra material around the wider knurling area on a traditional lug.

I've got over 80K hard miles on these...

Attachments

• Copy of RRAAxleSeal8_21_09Lg10.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 147
go to this site...has everything You want to know about making that change

[ame]http://bionicdodge.com/Download/Mopar_8_3_4_Rear_End_Guide.PDF[/ame]

If the perches are the only reason,move them....I had to move them on a dana I installed on a B body...worked fine

Trick to running redrilled axles is you have to use cap screws instead of pressed on lugs. They trap the hole and you screw in the cap screw from behind. That way you don't loose axle flange area from the extra material around the wider knurling area on a traditional lug.

I've got over 80K hard miles on these...
Couldn't agree with you more.My 67 Dart has small shoulder studs and it has almost 60000 miles on them-340, 68 383 cuda with capscrews 21000.71 340 Demon 14000,I guess I don't know how to build an engine with enough torque to rip them out.

I'd love to see an A body housing that is 52 13/64", never seen one...

Every one I've ever had has been 52 5/8" within 1/16" either way.

You are correct my friend! I just pulled a tape on mine and it is exactly 52 5/8! Ok so where do you guys get this 1 3/16" wider per side on a 65-67 B body over an A body drum to drum? Is it the different width of the A body axle and brake package? Im going off of housing width for the difference and hope to only gain a little UNDER an inch on each side with my swap. According to my measurements that should be spot on with MY car. My A-body rear was setup with Moser big bolt axles,green bearings and 11" drums off of a 68 D-100 pickem up.

That is out of the chassis manual and is wrong. For one they say 62-70 B bodies are the same width and they are not.

You are correct my friend! I just pulled a tape on mine and it is exactly 52 5/8! Ok so where do you guys get this 1 3/16" wider per side on a 65-67 B body over an A body drum to drum? Is it the different width of the A body axle and brake package? Im going off of housing width for the difference and hope to only gain a little UNDER an inch on each side with my swap. According to my measurements that should be spot on with MY car. My A-body rear was setup with Moser big bolt axles,green bearings and 11" drums off of a 68 D-100 pickem up.

If you go from the A body brake being a total width of 57 1/8". The wider on each side measurement that Steve posted is correct. If you toss a set of BBP brakes on a stock A body rear, it makes it about 57.925" total width IIRC.

Should put it in my sig... :)

Yes it's a bit annoying to see some of the links that pop up that have really rotten info in them. 741 are weak, yep, only got put behind max wedge cars sometimes. Track width... what good does that do anyone when trying to build a rear end. LOL

Ok, thanks. You never know until you ask. There is so much info out there its hard to figure out what's right or wrong.

Some of that junk actually got published in a book! Now some feel because it was published it's correct.

-
Back