b body tranny in a a body?

-

clairday modtop

there's no car like mopar
Reaction score
other then the shifter mounts in the wrong spot, what else is not the same and would have to be done to put a b/e body manuale tranny in my 69 barracuda? bell houseing? drive shaft lenth?

also how can i tell if a trany is a low gear, like ones in trucks or a high gear for cars?

hi, count the teeth on the input shaft, then look in mopar race manual for gear ratios. the trans mount is in same location, as a body trans. the drive shaft will be same length as one for a 727 trans in abody car. the usual 1st gear ratios, are 2.66 or 2.47 for the b body trans.

well i hope its not a low gear. a friend of mine has it down the road and he called me when he got it in. its an aluminum body and i think a 4 O/D. wants me to do some body work on his 32 chebby for it. abodyjoe i havent for got about the front end we talked about lol lol. just got a bit side tracked.

most over drive manual trannys are low first gear 3;09, and a .68 final drive forth gear,, the low first gear will give you a little more from a dead stop,,, i have a 3;09 first gear in my barracuda,,,love it

Morons that owned my 73 sport installed a b body trans (I think) it was gone when I got it. They hacked thru the torsion bar member, and the trans hump to get it in. It doesnt work, dont do it. Get an a body or F body 4spd, it'll fit fine like it should.

F body A body are the same box,,, i believe a dodge van is the same also
the B body is longer ansd the shifter is in a different location then an A body...

Question: When putting a B/E-body 833 into an A-body, does the longer length trans tail housing affect the drive shaft angle in a bad way?

I have an 833 from an E-body that I would like to use connected to an 8.75 rear in my '68 Cuda. I was considering a TREMEC, but the cost will set me back on other parts priorities. My worry is blowing U-joints if the drive shaft angle is too great. The engine will be a 440; 500-550 h.p.

well i havent got the tranny yet, the guy still hasnt came out with what he wants for it. but thanks for all the post on it. when i get it i'll count the teeth on the tail shaft and see what it is. he was told it was a 3 speed with O/D

-
Back