bad boy 273 cid why not

-

toms 67 dart

Reaction score
I want a hot 273cid can this be done 67 dart all stock, looks great
can I get 12 sec quater mile from this

ok guys some of your post are just stupid (just tell them its a 273) i have been into mopar for many years and i
am not stupid, its not how fast i can go on a dollar,its not about selling an 11 sec. car vers an 12 sec car. i know that a 360 is b better build but dont want to. why dont i drill a hole in the valve cover and put a sparkplug wire in it and say its got a hemi!!!!!

thanks for all the stereotype mopar info.

why not?

because for the same money you can have near 100 hp more with a 360.

cid is a good thing when it comes down to dollar per hp

You're absolutely right about that, but what's the challenge in that? It's not always a matter of $ per HP. There's something special about making big power with a smaller motor. Just imagine the look on racers' faces when they find that they've been beaten by a 273. More often than not they'll ask "What the hell is a 273?" or "Yeah right, what's really in it?"

Yeah, been there done that (but not with a 273).

In my experience you're better of with the 360 and going 11s instead of 12s for the same money.

Nobody is going to get hung up on being beat by a 273 any more than they would being beat by some other V8. So, you're better off being able to beat more people by going 11s instead of 12s for the same money.

Also, when you want to sell the car, an 11 second car sells easier and for more money than a 12 second car.

And, on a single run, 11s are a lot more fun than 12s.

Yep. It can be done it is just expensive. toolman

I want a hot 273cid can this be done 67 dart all stock, looks great
can I get 12 sec quater mile from this

ok guys some of your post are just stupid (just tell them its a 273) i have been into mopar for many years and i
am not stupid, its not how fast i can go on a dollar,its not about selling an 11 sec. car vers an 12 sec car. i know that a 360 is b better build but dont want to. why dont i drill a hole in the valve cover and put a sparkplug wire in it and say its got a hemi!!!!!

thanks for all the stereotype mopar info.

Is this a street driven car or track only? Track only gets easy.

WOW! the question is like a rant, and I guess for the most part, I can understand that. Ya wanna do a 273.

Well, it was said before, the reason not to would be dollors spent from one CID engine size to another engines CID.

MoPar used to post "Tips" on this, it was a near complete parts list from MP useing all there parts for the task at hand. The biggest issue would be pistons. $$$!

It's too much money and probably the biggest draw back is TQ... or it's lack of...
A 289 ford makes 300 ft lbs and a 10 to 1 273 makes...what maybe 275 ft lbs..
Unless you have all the right parts and the knowledge to be able to throw a Razor sharp tune in it...your going to be disappointed..
Anyone ever driven a GT 350 mustang? I have...and you step on the throttle at 20 mph in second gear it's like stepping on a tamato...nothing happens...
Now that same car from a dead stop is a whole other thing...it Really takes off and motors...
Small engines have to work hard...too hard... they have to over come the ci deficit that it has stacked against it.
Put a crank in a 340 or 360 and it'll make 500 hp by accident and it'll be at half the price..

Wow !!
Your very first post and theres already bullets flyin.
You asked for opinions and end up stating that some of the replys are stupid ?
Can't wait to see whats next... good luck !!

Anmd it's been a few days since the post was made....like ...starting a fire and runnin away...Ha ha ha hah

I'd love to throw money at a project like this. I wish I could spend like the goverment, "I'll just throw money at the problem! He he he"

2 weeks later...

"What?! it didn't work!!!!!!!

I'll just throw more money at the problem! He he he he!"

These guys on this site are not stupid! There may be times when something may come across in print that seems a bit harsh (yours for example) but nine times out of ten its meant to be helpful. There are over 16,000 FABO members, and a great deal of them have built small blocks that will suck the headlights out of practically anything that they come across, THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. With Chrysler parts being expensive in comparison to the other brands there is usually a tendecy to get as much bang for the buck as possible thats why the 340's and 360's are so popular because you can add a hundred cubes or more and lots of HP over a 273 or 318 for the same money. Build what you want and how you want it, thats the beauty of it being yours. A badass 273 sounds cool as hell go for it, but when you start asking for opinions on this site thats what you'll get. Welcome to FABO!

My thoughts, I like the idea of the 273 build. Yes it will take more money, it will need to rpm to make the power but... Seem's like I remember ( 70's/80's) 55 chevys with 283's running some great numbers in the quarter like 10's/11's? They were screamin to do it. I love the idea of putting a Chevy or Ford away with 273 cubes! I think their faces would tell the story! I would assume you would need a killer crak/rod/piston combo to keep it together. It just takes money.

yeah if you build it to spin to 10,000 RPM you could get some great power out of it. the TQ will suffer but if you leave at 6000RPM you shoud have all the needed power to really get it moving.

LOL: You post "Bad Boy 273, why not?" and then people give you reasons "why not", so you attack them. Very nice.

To sum up:
I guess if you don't care about $$ per horsepower, resale value, parts availability or performance actually achieved at the end of the day, there's no reason not to build one!

GO FOR IT!

After all, there's hundreds of guys pouring buckets of $$$ into Hondas with the same attitude.

You kind of get what you ask for when you post a thread:

Maybe you meant to post, "I want to build a high revving 273 to run 12s. How do I do it?"

Or maybe you thought everyone would just respond "WoW! That's a great idea, I can't believe I never thought of building a 273 to run 12s. There's NO DOWNSIDE! Let me drop to your feet and bask in your divine glory."

I understand the interest 30 years ago all I had was a 273 in a 68 barracuda notchback it was tired I had the hipo pistons more compression. stock heads cast tq manifold and tq an old PAW grind cam 280- 480 Auto 4.30 gears. with bad tires a stock convertor remember it was a tired engine it went 14.80s at 98mph not much to talk about but it was fun. I remember a black dart in a Mopar mag inspired me later 12-1 comp. big solid cam 5.13 gears a big convertor slicks it was a high 11 sec car. You got me interested again.

Well now......take a step back and perhaps rephrase to: "Hmmm, liked some ideas but didn't care for some others".

I asked sorta the same ? last year re whether to go 340/360 or rebuild the stock 273 Charger. I got plenty of great opinions for both. I decided to rebuild the Charger only hotter than stock. Went with a bigger hyd cam and Offy high-rise manifold. I like the idea of headers but the cost for early A's nixxed that idea. I could have gotten off cheaper with more HP by going 360 but the satisfaction of burning rubber ( even with the 7.25/2.76 ) and seeing the original engine sitting in there is worth it. As for times....we'll see when the 8.75/3.23 SG gets installed.

You can get decent headers for a 67 a bunch cheaper than I can for a 65 and I know a 273 can be built to be a bad-a$$ street rod so it gets down to: money, personal satisfaction, bragging rights, etc ad infinitum.

Whatever you want to do you will find ( as did I ) FABO has the best and most willing people to help.

a little off topic but man you have a great looking pit. Mine is about 18 months old, and is really sweet. A stocky little guy, but he's a pit so what can you say. He loves playing with the kids I could not be happier with him. Yours looks like he wants to go for a sunday cruize. Anyway back on topic I just wanted to say he's a good lookin dog.
Well now......take a step back and perhaps rephrase to: "Hmmm, liked some ideas but didn't care for some others".

I asked sorta the same ? last year re whether to go 340/360 or rebuild the stock 273 Charger. I got plenty of great opinions for both. I decided to rebuild the Charger only hotter than stock. Went with a bigger hyd cam and Offy high-rise manifold. I like the idea of headers but the cost for early A's nixxed that idea. I could have gotten off cheaper with more HP by going 360 but the satisfaction of burning rubber ( even with the 7.25/2.76 ) and seeing the original engine sitting in there is worth it. As for times....we'll see when the 8.75/3.23 SG gets installed.

You can get decent headers for a 67 a bunch cheaper than I can for a 65 and I know a 273 can be built to be a bad-a$$ street rod so it gets down to: money, personal satisfaction, bragging rights, etc ad infinitum.

Whatever you want to do you will find ( as did I ) FABO has the best and most willing people to help.

Ask an NHRA Super Stock owner that runs a 273,
IF you can find one.

lol........i have a question about super stock racing. Do they check the vin? An abody that orriginally had a snalt in it cannot be called stock if it has had a 360 swapped in. I'm not a superstock racer nor do I want to be. And that is for several reasons 1 I'm not a verry good drag racer, 2 I like just going to test and tune nights to see how well I can run. 3 because I just don't want to. So therefor I have not researched it and don't know if a motor swap is legal. I feel if your going to call it super stock it should be vin checked, and the stock motor and gears should be required.

motor just had to be available in the body. I remember some built 67 gts darts in the day that ran 13s so with todays technology 12s shouldnt be too hard.On the cheap just stick in some forged pistons and spray it a hundred shot.

-
Back