Bad Day, Very Bad day

-
I was surprised to see all that fiber like material in the screen. I never thought that would be there, I used a pair of tweezers to get it all out and flushed it clean and used the compressor to blow air through it. After that I bathed it with brakecleen. Pick up tube looked like new after I was finished with it. I was honestly expecting to see shards of metal.

I was surprised to see all that fiber like material in the screen. I never thought that would be there, I used a pair of tweezers to get it all out and flushed it clean and used the compressor to blow air through it. After that I bathed it with brakecleen. Pick up tube looked like new after I was finished with it. I was honestly expecting to see shards of metal.

Better that than metal. I'm glad to hear of a good outcome.

Glad to read it lives again. Most filters use a paper element, shouldn't be fibrous. Also, the filter gets oil after the screen and pump, so if it disintegrated, the material would have to go through the entire rest of the engine before getting back to the pump. Just sayin'. Are you sure nothing fell into the pan when the engine was apart? I would cut apart the filter that was on the engine when the problem happened.

What you describe is similar to what's left when a shop rag is left in an engine. Glad it is running again.

Crankcase breather cap has a fiber element that can get sucked into the engine.

Best filter on the market is the Mopar Performance ones from the dealer,even better than WIX.IMO.Even my Chebby race buddies use them on their Chebbie race engines.I,ve stayed away from the FRAM race filters since hearing about them falling apart.:pale:

Glad to hear you fixed it easily and inexpensive.:mrgreen:

Just read through your thread glad to hear everything is good. How did you clean off the old gasket material? Did you use a scraper or a 3M roloc whizzy wheel on 1/4" diegrinder. I did a intake years ago on 4.3 gm v6 and it came back couple days later knocking in lower end. pulled engine and inspected and found same type material. Figured it came from the 3M fiber roloc disc. Just a thought and my .02 cents. Defently glad to hear it good.

Randy

Just read through your thread glad to hear everything is good. How did you clean off the old gasket material? Did you use a scraper or a 3M roloc whizzy wheel on 1/4" diegrinder. I did a intake years ago on 4.3 gm v6 and it came back couple days later knocking in lower end. pulled engine and inspected and found same type material. Figured it came from the 3M fiber roloc disc. Just a thought and my .02 cents. Defently glad to hear it good.

Randy

Used a gasket scraper.

Yes Petty said it was better than Wix called Mopar High Performance filter and it's Black

Mopar Performance oil filter is most likely made by Purolator. It is NOT made by Chrysler.

There are only a half-dozen or less filter makers these days.

Purolator makes their own, Motorcraft and probably Mopar.

Champion Labs makes the cheapened AC Delco and a litany of others, including most of the cheap store-brand promotion filters.

Fram makes their own, Wix makes their own plus Napa filters.

So, in essence you are paying a premium to have Mopar painted on your oil filter, but it's a good filter at least. Probably not the best, but not bad.

Hey DM, can you hand me that shop rag, please. Yea, I left right over there on..the... now, where did that pesky rag go?? Oh well, just grab me another!!!LOL!!! Geof

The crud in the pickup tube was NOT a shop rag. I pulled the intake and oil pan and timing cover and there was NO signs of a shop rag in the engine. like I stated it was a fiber type substance and there was only a lot of it accumulated in the pickup screen. I removed the oil pan and there was very little of the same crud in the pan but total amount was very minimum, maybe a couple tablespoons worth total. Intake is clean, removed pushrods and lifters, all clean as is the oil passages.

Duster sounds like you have it pretty well covered. How is it Running today?

Glad to hear you got it up and going and without the down time associated with an engine removal and rebuild.

I would have did the same thing you did.....I would have ended up pulling the engine if upon pan removal I scene visible damage....but otherwise would have gone the same route you went.

I use to use fram oil filters on EVERYTHING....always got a fram.

and then I heard the horror stories on the filters collapsing or disintegration....and I always stayed away from K&N because I have heard stories about the built in drain back check ball lodging in place and blocking oil pressure.

then I switched to the mopar performance oil filters and have not turned back!....great filters! .....and they are not dealer only filters (atleast not here) I can go right down to my local advance auto parts and they have them sitting on the shelf.

It is running fine. I took it out to I-40 and drove to Raleigh from Clayton and back. Opened it up to 75 MPH (only using 1/4 pedal) Oil psi was 50 PSI. Car has a really nice idle now and it runs so much stronger with the new cam, lifters, pushrods, distributor, timing chain, oil pump and shaft. Changed the oil and bought a Wix filter for now due to not being able to get a Mopar filter on Sunday. Oil still had a little assembly lube color to it but for the most part it was clean.

-
Back