bad lifters

-
360 pushrods are longer
Well me did not know there is a difference in the push rods waggin thing is i grab 16 rods from my 318 and 16 from my 360 and pick 16 that rolled the true and put them in my 318.So are 360 push rods longer that 318 or are 318 longer than the 360.

Waggin I just went out to were my parts are and grab about 7 push rods lined them up and there was 2 out of 7 that are a tad shorter so there is no doubt that I have some 360 push rods in my 318 so your saying this would give a tick. how does a little longer rod do that to the 318.Thanks Don

Waggin I just went out to were my parts are and grab about 7 push rods lined them up and there was 2 out of 7 that are a tad shorter so there is no doubt that I have some 360 push rods in my 318 so your saying this would give a tick. how does a little longer rod do that to the 318.Thanks Don

It definitely will make a tick. A longer pushrod will preload that hydraulic lifter to the point there`s no hydraulics left and in essence you`ll have a solid lifter. I`d get that fixed right away before you run the engine anymore.

Should be 822-16s, and should have .030-.040 lifter preload on them. However, if you had a valve job done on the heads, you may have needed longer pushrods anyway. At this time in their lives, most of the engines have been messed with a bunch. So you kind of need to check the preload as the last thing rather than drop the pushrods back in. I can understand the guys that had issues not wanting to try again. I have some parts like that too. Just not Comp Cam's products...lol

I'd look the lifters and cam over then, if it preloaded too much it will destroy the cam and lifter.

find ya 16 of the shorter 318 pushrods and install ,before you do that take a straight edge and sit on top of the valve stems and make sure they are all the same height,some people dont know how to do a valve job on a small block anything and will have some higher than others.if they are way off you may need to go to adjustable rockers.after you get it all back together hopefully the ticking will go away

find ya 16 of the shorter 318 pushrods and install ,before you do that take a straight edge and sit on top of the valve stems and make sure they are all the same height,some people dont know how to do a valve job on a small block anything and will have some higher than others.if they are way off you may need to go to adjustable rockers.after you get it all back together hopefully the ticking will go away

what he said!!!!

check push rods and perload or install adjustable rockers and push rods

Ok this weakend i will check the pushrods and get back to you all.Thanks to all so far for the help,this site rockssssssssssssssssssss

I just was reading this post right before I redid my valve cover gaskets and I also have a ticking in my 318, so I measured my valves with a straight edge, pulled my pushrods out, all the same length and roll smooth, but yet my lifters can move left and right not just up and down. Looks like my spacers are a lil worn, can I get new spacers?

Someone educate me. Why would a 360 pushrod be longer than a 318?

I have never heard that before and I have never seen different length pushrods advertised for the two engines.

that's the same thing I was wondering......after 28 years of playing with these things I just learned to accept that they are longer....:cheers:
Someone educate me. Why would a 360 pushrod be longer than a 318?

I have never heard that before and I have never seen different length pushrods advertised for the two engines.

well they 360 push rods are longer than 318. I check them side by side against the 318 rod. You know I was thinking if the lift on my comp cam is more than stock witch it is may be my push rods are to long giving to much preload.Anyone know anything about this being true or not.

Doesn`t the 360 have a higher deck height than the 273,318,and 340?

No, the deck height is the same, that is why the compression height of a 360 piston is shorter than a 318 or 340 motor.

After I posted the question last night I went looking and I could not find any reference to a difference in length for LA engines. Only the engines with adjustable rockers used a different push rod and of course the engines with roller cams.

No, the deck height is the same, that is why the compression height of a 360 piston is shorter than a 318 or 340 motor.

After I posted the question last night I went looking and I could not find any reference to a difference in length for LA engines. Only the engines with adjustable rockers used a different push rod and of course the engines with roller cams.

Production lifters/pushrods are different than aftermarket stuff. Aftermarket pushrods/lifters are meant to be used with like brands. Comp does sell adjustable rockers that use ball/ball pushrods. #1322-16.

Regardless of what pushrods to use, preload is THE KEY.

I just did a little looking at pushrod lengths (I'm wasting company time). Seems more like a difference between maufacturers rather than 318 vs 360. For non-adjustable stock style pushrods Comp says 7.500", Sealed Power says 7.571", and Clevite shows 7.51".

I just did a little looking at pushrod lengths (I'm wasting company time). Seems more like a difference between maufacturers rather than 318 vs 360. For non-adjustable stock style pushrods Comp says 7.500", Sealed Power says 7.571", and Clevite shows 7.51".

Good point. This goes to show that off the shelf doesn't cut it anymore. You must measure everything. One of those choices may work for one engine and not work for another.

FWIW, I checked Larry Shepards How to Hot Rod SB Mopars. He stated all hydraulic lifter LA engines through 85 used the same length pushrod.

Anyway, When I built my 360 with magnum heads and stock magnum rocker arms I had purchased the MP conversion pushrods (7.625" long). These gave me 0.027" of preload on the lifter which should have been good. The engine was as noisy as hell until fully warmed up. I finally got pushrods that were 7.650" long for another 0.025" of preload and bingo, no more noise.

0.027" of preload should have been plenty but the lifters didn't seem to maintain zero lash with that amount until fully warmed up but work fine with 0.052".

Ok Larry shepard,why are the 318 and 360 pushrods diffrent length's,I didn't write any book's but was able to direct snake to the FACT that the pushrod's ARE Diffrent length's.It's amazing.....a phenomenon...ok. the pushrod's shrunk cause they didn't get watered???Oh the other ones grew cause they got more sunlight WTF....ok last time 318 and 360 pushrod's are diffrent length's pass it on to larry for his next book:read2: the cams are all on the same base circle,the heads are the same height......engine blocks..smae deck heighth....but...assembled height of the valvetrain between 318/360 is the why they are diffrent. in other words if you put a set of 360 heads on a 360 you will need the longer pushrods from the 360 to go with them.this could be opinion on my part......

Miscommunication...If you have installed the 360 heads on the 318you need the longer pushrods to go with your 360 head's and the ticking should go bye bye.....We assumed it has 318 heads on the 318 but if it's 360 heads on the 318 then the shorter pushrods are causing the tick so let us know what heads are on this beast???

yep 318 with 318 heads.Waggin was dead right about the size difference I was not to sure tho sorry Waggin but when put side by side,I was made a beleiver.Love the fact that i was taught this.Thanks again buddy.

??? Things that make you go hmmmmmm? Maybe some of the pushrods are for solid lifters and they`re mixed with hydraulic lifter pushrods?

all of the solid lifter cams from the factory had adjustable rockers,but from what I have seen in small blocks is the 273 had em,the rest didn't,and from experience,the 273 adjustable rockers bolt right on to any small block with any factory head....but if it isnt a factory 273 or 318 head you will need to get a diffrent length pushrod and you will have to grind down the rockers to clear the valvesprings......all adjustable rockers from the factory need ball and cup pushrods and as I know it the 273 stock ball and cup pushrods are too long if you install them onto a 360 or 340 with the adjustable 273 rockers......that's more to the phenomenon.......check and see......
??? Things that make you go hmmmmmm? Maybe some of the pushrods are for solid lifters and they`re mixed with hydraulic lifter pushrods?

-
Back