baffled over intakes . . .

-

abqphilbert

Reaction score
I'm out of my comfort zone here. I've built lots of European engines with multiple carb systems, mechanical and electronic injection, etc. None of that experience is helping me here. I'm building a 318 for a '67 Dart. 9.7:1 compression, .464 lift, 270 mechanical lifter cam, 318 heads with 1.88 intake vlvs. and 1.50 exhaust valves, nicely ported - not extreme. 4-speed overdrive with 3.23 sure-grip. 95% of my driving will be street, so I want the low and mid-range power.

Everything I'm reading says I should use a dual-plane manifold and (about) a 650 CFM carb for this application. OK, fine. Everyone local I've talked with about this says just the opposite - that the 650 CFM/dual-plane set-up won't have the punch I'm looking for, and tells me to go with a Torker and a 750 DP. Really?

That seems like too much for the kind of street performance I want. I don't want something that's gonna fall on its face until I get to 2500 to 3000 RPMs. I live at 5500 ft. elevation. Maybe that's why the local Mopar guys seem to have better luck with the Torkers and 750s.

Anybody out there have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

dont run the torker.run an edelbrock performer rpm or similar manifold.and a 600-650 cfm carb will be fine.

Everyone local I've talked with about this says just the opposite - that the 650 CFM/dual-plane set-up won't have the punch I'm looking for, and tells me to go with a Torker and a 750 DP. Really?

Thanks.

Everyone local you have talked to is wrong.

I have tried both types of intakes on more than just Ford, Holden, Chev, etc....and have always found that the single plane intake works best....and thats right through the rev range.
I'll be using an Eddy single plane intake on my 318/390 stroker....and it isn't a 1/4 mile monster either, just a cruiser with some balls.
In the end, it your choice.

I'm out of my comfort zone here. I've built lots of European engines with multiple carb systems, mechanical and electronic injection, etc. None of that experience is helping me here. I'm building a 318 for a '67 Dart. 9.7:1 compression, .464 lift, 270 mechanical lifter cam, 318 heads with 1.88 intake vlvs. and 1.50 exhaust valves, nicely ported - not extreme. 4-speed overdrive with 3.23 sure-grip. 95% of my driving will be street, so I want the low and mid-range power.

Everything I'm reading says I should use a dual-plane manifold and (about) a 650 CFM carb for this application. OK, fine. Everyone local I've talked with about this says just the opposite - that the 650 CFM/dual-plane set-up won't have the punch I'm looking for, and tells me to go with a Torker and a 750 DP. Really?

That seems like too much for the kind of street performance I want. I don't want something that's gonna fall on its face until I get to 2500 to 3000 RPMs. I live at 5500 ft. elevation. Maybe that's why the local Mopar guys seem to have better luck with the Torkers and 750s.

Thanks.

Torkers were a power loss to the stock 340 cast iron dual plane intake. stock TQ's are 750 cfm and your engine will take all of that. 750 DP is not a street carb, not that people don't run it on the street. I like adjustable secondaries, AVS, TQ, QJ. Edelbrocks and AFB's usually have a secondary velocity valve to keep from bogging with too fast of a throttle opening. But you are running a manual transmission, so you can rev it till the engine is happy. Carb selection is not as critical with a manual trans. Whatever you pick, you will probably have to rejet for altitude. I'd run a good dual plane and up to 700-750 cfm carb since you are 95% street with a manual trans.

IMO, since your doing a 318 which has a lack of torque in compare to the much bigger bore 340 and larger stroke of the 360, that engine can use a few tricks. Your cars weight is another issue. As well as the gear ratio and it's (Unknown) tire size. Which has a big effect on the way the car acts.

That cam operates in a approx. power band of 1800 - 5800 rpm range I would think. A Dual plane like the RPM or a Weiand Action plus would be right for it. The smaller carb will keep the velocity up for better throttle response than the larger 750, by the way, would be OK as well. Just not prefured for myself.

I'd rather the smaller carb for a good vacuum signal and throttle response while driving around over the larger carb and it's wide open throttle HP, which would only be a few HP over a 650 at best.

Over caming and over carbing are the worst possible scenarios for reliable, comfortable, stree driving. Stick with the dual plane mainfold and about 650 cfm carb for the street. That Torker manifold and a 750 cfm carb on a 318 will be a real threat to your sanity.

you would be surprised at how well a stock cast iron four bbl dual plane intake and vacume secondary carb will work i'd stick with 600 cfm holley and dual plane intake

sounds like the consensus is . . . the bigger carb and the Torker may be good, but the 650 CFM and dual plane will likely be better. The car's still getting paint, but should be done within 30 days. I'm gonna try the 650 with the RPM air gap.
I'll post another thread when the thing's running to report if I'm happy with this set-up, or if I'm gonna try something else. Thanks for all of your replies.

-
Back