bah, can't trust anyone these days

-

greaserkid

Reaction score
ok, so i went on summit, ran the part number for the ignition the guy said he stuck in the car, this one

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DCC-3690426&N=0&autoview=sku

and well, 2 things

first - my distributor has a light brown top, not a black one

second - I see no orange box ignition, anywhere. There's a black one with an RCA logo on the round metal thing

so does anyone have any idea what i ACTUALLY have? it's on a 318

Caps are swapable, tan stock, black = MP part.
That RCA logo sounds just like a aftermarket part.
Skip the orange box and go right to the Chrome or see Don @ 4secondsflat.com and tell'em I sent ya.

i doubt both the ignition AND distributor were deffective

but is the regular mopar performance distributor good?

so far i plan on ordering the chrome box, that distributor, and an accel super coil

what can i expect from puttin those in?

greaserkid said:

so far i plan on ordering the chrome box, that distributor, and an accel super coil

What is in the car now?

Points? Your car will run better.

If your steet driving the car, the plugs will burn hotter,
and burn the fuel more efficiently.

In 1971 Mopar started to use Electronic Ignition,
in some of the high performance engine'd cars. :thumblef:

By 1973 as far as I know; all Mopar cars in the USA,
had gotten rid of Points. :)

You can see my module on the left, I am using a "Rare" Chrome/blue one.

2549july_3rd_2005_Pittsfield_car_show_024-med.jpg

greaserkid said:
How is the distributor deffective???
If your just talking about the tan cap, my MP distributor I bought around 1984 came with a tan cap.

You probably have this one...

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...0003&N=4294925143+4294908128+115&autoview=sku

That's the Summit version of the "conversion" kit. The distributor should be close, but, you will need to adjust it for total advance, and vaccum pod. As far as controllers go, I havent used the Summit ones. The MP Orange boxes have had issues with consistancy and quality control, but they are not all bad. Std ignition makes a stock replacement for low $$ that had very similar dwell ad spark energy as the orange box, without the higher rpm dwell changes the orange box does. I hear FBO also makes a nice controller, but you want to be sure your coil is up to snuff with it.

The chrome boxes aren't meant for street driving and in the MP book they tell you for race only and not for continious use, yes they are a great box and give lots of performance, but they will over heat a coil with prolonged use even with a fast rise coil like MSD.

yeah 340's right, the chrome ones are fine for street, only the gold says race only

and i had my friend take a look & he said both my ignition & distributor are factory parts

greaserkid said:

A slight increase in mileage and cleaner burning plugs over the Orange box. The MP distributor is fine, nothing wrong with it. I have your planed set up in my Cuda now. It will work well.

The problem with the chrome box is the coil you are suppossed to use. The chrome coil. Not good for street use. Those Accel Super coils are junk. You might as well use a stock coil.

Personally for street or race use the MSD series 6 ignition is what you really want. The distributor will be fine.

Maybe it's just me but I've been using the "stock" mopar distributors and orange boxes for years with a narry a problem. That includes 1-360, 3-440"s and 2-383"s and most of these cars were street-strip setups and 2 of them were just plain evil. :burnout:

-
Back