Ballast resistor

-

Pettero

Reaction score
try and install new wire to the vehicle.
there is no ballast resistor in the car.
Do i need i to have such?

`` Probably more questions later '`
* :?

Same like this..

Attachments

• electronicignition.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,435
try and install new wire to the vehicle.
there is no ballast resistor in the car.
Do i need i to have such?

`` Probably more questions later '`
* :?

what wire are you trying to install ?
what are we working on? how about some pics pics of what you are doing?
you need a ballast with stock mopar EI

Is a Barracuda 67
Replacing all of the wires from the battery
Bought new at YearOne

heres a couple diagrams, dont know if you have a single or dual ballast. pictures would really help

Attachments

• diagram9.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 5,286
  • diagram.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 33,546
looks like there is a wire from the coil directly to the mains switch.
What was there before
had to turn on the main switch before I could turn the key too start engine.

not soo good pics

What is the "mains switch"? I can't make out anything in your photos. There is only the key switch in the factory wiring. Maybe that is a "battery isolation" switch added by a prior owner.

I wouldn't fool with the old Mopar EI in a 67 Barracuda since it wasn't factory anyway. However, sounds like you have the connector for it in your (expensive) YearOne engine harness, so maybe. Otherwise, a GM 8-pin HEI setup is simpler, cheaper, and better.

As said, you will need a ballast resistor. I would wire for the single ballast and get a 4-pin ECU. Most new 5-pin ECU's today are actually 4-pin type with a dummy pin to not worry buyers. The ballast resistor should be 0.5 ohm cold. Get one for electronic ignition, look up 1975 to be safe.

Bought a 2 pin ballast resistor today.
Where are the exact set of space inside the engine compartment?
Does anyone have any pictures showing where to tighten it?

Where are Neutral safety switch wire connects to ... `?:?

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,342
see if the coil says "use with external ballast" on it first. some canister type coils are internally resisted, thus not needing an external ballast, and will say it on the main body accordingly. All of the rigs ive dealt with have a .8 to 1.4 ohm resistance for the coil side (on a dual ballast) NOT including the coil resistance itself.

Where are Neutral safety switch wire connects to ... `?:?

It connects to one of the terminals on the start relay. You should not have three wires there. Where do the others come from/ go to?

One should be hot "in crank" from the ignition switch. The other goes to ground when the transmission is in park or neutral. Does not matter which connectors on the relay, the two "push on" terminals are the magnetic coil of the relay

I think this may help our Viking friend. The Neutral Safety Switch and Starter Relay are near the center of the drawing. Maybe someone has an underhood picture showing where the ballast resistor is mounted.

Attachments

• RagtopEngine Compartment.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,905
Thank you so much Uncle Sam :)
what would we have done without you ..

This coil a have.

Specifications:
Primary Resistance: 1.4 Ohms
Secondary Resistance: 9.2 k Ohms
Turns Ratio: 94:1
Maximum Voltage: 42,000 volts
E.O. D-221-2 California Legal

I do not know if coil says, use with external ballast or not?

Attachments

• 110-8140C.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,270
Im leaning towards ballast needed but PLEASE DO NOT qoute me on this. comparing accel (prestolite performance) to a factory electronic setup to an MSD setup to a NAPA internally resisted coil setup heres what i found.

Accel: as you stated, 1.4 ohms primary resistance.

Factory electronic ign: 1.8 ohms resistance in the coil, approx 1.2 at the ballast. total of 3 ohms.

MSD Blaster: .7 ohm resistance in the coil, .8 ohms in the ballast supplied with the coil. total resistance value of 1.5 ohms, im assuming MSD's coil is just a badass....eh?

NAPA IC14 internally resisted coil: 3.25 ohms primary resistance.

you may try calling prestolite performance to confirm this.

A factory electronic ignition Essex coil is about the same resistance YES you need a ballast.

Your new harness should have a 2 wires to connect to a ballast resistor. It should be mounted just under the seam of the windshield cowl and the firewall as far to the left as it will go until it's basically up against the fender. Look for a bolt or a single hole where a bolt will hold it to the firewall. If you have an ignition like you pictured then somebody has switched your stock 67 setup to a later electronic. They probably used the mopar kit that includes the box, distributor, and a plug in wire harness. If so then it should plug into your replacement harness the same way. The problem is that it seems maybe somebody messed something up or did their own creation. If the ballast was removed its possible it already has been converted to a pertronics or HEI style or worse was a conversion of a conversion.
I think you are doing good, working with something not near as common as around here, and dealing with translation. Your car is looking good! I like the stance. You will get the wiring, it's about as simple as wiring can be from the factory at least.

Did get the electronic ignition version from Year One, (Part # HU258AM) or the standard (points type) version (Part # HU258A)? With the black box ignition shown in an early picture, you should have HU258AM. I believe that harness uses the four pin ballast, the flat voltage regulator and has both field connectors on the alternator connected to the wiring harness. At least that's how their harness for my '64 Dart was modified.

In that picture of the Chrysler ignition, there is a round black device to the right of the ignition. What is that? I don't recognize it - is that the mains switch you referenced?

Lastly, here's a picture of the wiring on my firewall before I got my harness from Year One. My car is a 64 Dart and your Barracuda might be different. Point being your ballast should mount somewhere in that general area, maybe further to the right like someone posted. My ballast is the white gadget shown just to the left of the distributor. I hope that helps - don't hesitate to ask about anything that isn't clear.

ATB

BC

Attachments

• Old Wiring on firewall (Medium).jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,151
Here is a pic of a stock 67 barracuda. It's real simple, starter relay, ballast resistor, voltage regulator, then a points distributor and regular coil.
vbpgimage.php

Well, our voltage regulators are in about the same place. Looks like everything else is somewhere else. I'm not sure if we are trying to help with a V-8 or a /6, if that makes any difference. Seems odd that your ballast is all the way to the driver's side, when the distributor is on the other side of the engine. But then Mother Mopar did some strange things back then.

ATB

BC

Bought these two wiring
Hu258a
hu306a

Attachments

• ballast.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,165
Bought these two wiring
Hu258a
hu306a
Those are correct , but the engine harness is for a points type ignition, not the electronic one. BUT, it will work fine with the electronic ignition if you have a solid state voltage regulator. That's what is what's working for me in the 64ragtop.

Long, long ago, automakers used a mechanical points style voltage regulator. Not so long ago, the regulator makers introduced solid state technology in the old style case. They look like the original parts in points type distributor cars, but the solid state components work much better, and they are cheaper to make as well. You can tell at a glance, looking at the bottom of the regulator. The old style regulator has a couple of large resistors on the bottom plate, the new solid state regulator has no resistors.

The engine harnesses Year One sells as "modified for electronic ignition" have the wiring and plug for the 1968 (I think) and later "flat pack" regulator.

We're closing in on it, my friend.

ATB

BC

-
Back