barely blows heat

-

lild

Reaction score
I have a 63 Valiant and the heater heats up and I can hear the blower motor running but the heat doesnt come out of the vents very fast. The p.o. said theres only one speed for heat but when I turn the switch it seems like it has two speeds. Is it only one speed and is there a way to get it to blow harder?

Let Michael Bay direct it... Hey-o....

seriously though. Have you pulled it apart and looked at it. The motor could be all gummed up and need a good clean and lube or a rebuild. If its sputtery it could be a faulty ground. lot of options.

The blower switch in my 63 had High and low, and if you hear the blower motor and not getting very much air it is very possible
the fan blades (drum squirrel cage blades) have something stuck inside of it like leaves or a rats nest from years ago . thus not letting air flow.

Chances are good the heater box is in need of a good cleaning, and rebuild. If the internal flappers don’t seal well air cannot be directed to desired destination, because it is cross leaking.

The fan problem could be just about anything from dry bearings, a bunch of crap plugging it up, poor ground, bad wiring to switch and fan, or motor speed resistors.

When I removed the ’67 ragtop Dart’s heater box, it was a mess, half full of leaves and crap, all seals on flappers were MIA, cracks in case, dry rotted cardboard plenum leaking air to fire wall, and two part case not sealed well… Oh, and the heater core was leaking adding to the mess. Once rebuilt it works like new, and with a 195 degree thermostat, will warm the car up nicely on the coldest of days.

On which switch position does it run? The first (next to off) routes the motor wire through a resistor, which is installed in your heater duct to help cool it. It could be the switch is bad and it's actually only running on LOW speed.

It should run on "high" "all the way" to the opposite side from "off."

66 shop manual, the closest I know of for free:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1966_Plymouth_Service_Manual.zip

Unfortunately the page numbers in this scan do not follow Mopar "dash" page numbers so you have to play with them to find what you want

"Heaters" starts about page 43 in your reader. Wiring diagrams, page 289

Valiant inst. panel wiring, page 302-303

At top of page 302 is the heater blower resistor, with wires C4 and C5 go off to the following page

to the blower switch, and a third wire, C1, runs off to the fuse in the panel.

What is NOT shown at the resistor is the left terminal is a two terminal connected buss, and the heater wire connects there.

The short end of this story is, you should be able to find the only wire going to the blower motor, pull it loose from the resistor, and jumper to a "good solid" battery source with a clip lead, and determine if the motor really will run at high speed, or if the bearings/ trash in the blower/ dragging blower is slowing it down, or whether problems with wiring/ fuse/ switch/ resistor is dropping the voltage

Attachments

• heater.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 230
  • htresis.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 226
  • htswitch.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 223
Yes very good info. Thank you all. Looking for a d.d. right now so I can tuck the car away for the winter and work on its little character flaws.

Something to consider, I froze my *** off one winter in my grandpa's old hand me down 65 with a slant six.
Come spring time it started overheating, the water pump was wore completly out, you could actually wobble the fan.

Had the same thing in the Demon. Looked in the vents and had leaves blocking the vents. Removed the hoses and pulled out a handfull of junk. Now it works great!

If '63 Valiants are anything like my '66 Barracuda then check the air flow through your defrost vents. It may be escaping through them. If so, a cable may of snapped that controls the flap opening or the flap door maybe stuck closed for heat on the heater box.
Restoring your heater box is a wonderful way to try your patience especially when its time to reconnect the cables! Good Luck and lets know how you make out.

-
Back