Baseball Fans (Best Player Ever)

-
May not be the best baseball player but he is one of the hottest ones. That would be my favorite Chipper Jones of the Atlanta Braves. :laughing::p:thumrigh:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k72RLh0NUG8&feature=related"]YouTube - Chipper Jones- Hall of Fame Tribute[/ame]

Pretty hard to argue with "The Babe".

I do have favorites though.
Pete Rose
Robbie Alomar
Paul Molitor
Jack Morris
and about a thousand others...:thumrigh:

Gotta say Barry Bonds - I know the whole Steroid thing makes people eliminate him from consideration but look at 8 time Golden Gloves,career batting average of .312 for a 22 year career, almost a 50% lifetime on base percentage, 7 TIME MVP with a CANNON for an arm in the outfield. He was the Real Deal!

Bonds when He was really young, maybe. But put Pete Rose on roids, and see how much higher his stats would have climbed.

Being from Cleveland I really hate the Red Sox...but I must say Ted Williams is the best ever.

As so many others have said, BEST EVER is a relative term. Those of us more 'experienced' (much kinder term than 'old' - which is also a relative term) have seen so many more players, especially before the "juiced" era of steroid players.
I first started following baseball at an early age when the Dodgers moved to SoCal waaaay back in '59. In fact, one of my favorites from back then - #9 Duke Snider - just passed today. I grew up listening to Vin Scully on a little transister radio.
The best pitching matchup I ever saw live was Sandy Koufax against Bob Gibson at Dodger Stadium.
Best player ever? Still thinking on that one.

As so many others have said, BEST EVER is a relative term. Those of us more 'experienced' (much kinder term than 'old' - which is also a relative term) have seen so many more players, especially before the "juiced" era of steroid players.
I first started following baseball at an early age when the Dodgers moved to SoCal waaaay back in '59. In fact, one of my favorites from back then - #9 Duke Snider - just passed today. I grew up listening to Vin Scully on a little transister radio.
The best pitching matchup I ever saw live was Sandy Koufax against Bob Gibson at Dodger Stadium.
Best player ever? Still thinking on that one.

I say "old school" with the utmost respect since in baseball this term is actually a compliment to how the game should be played and revered. In your view just how good was Koufax? Some say if not for a relatively short career he could have broken all kinds of records and arguably could lay claim to the best left hander to hit the mound.

How about Duke Snyder, Brooklyn Dodgers in the 50's. He died today, at 84 in a convalescent home in California. Rest in peace, my friend.

I say "old school" with the utmost respect since in baseball this term is actually a compliment to how the game should be played and revered. In your view just how good was Koufax? Some say if not for a relatively short career he could have broken all kinds of records and arguably could lay claim to the best left hander to hit the mound.

Sandy's career was cut short by arthritis. When the Dodger's first moved to LA, he wasn't very good. At that time the Dodgers had two young pitchers that were questionable for a win - Sandy Koufax and Danny McDevitt.
A couple of years later, Koufax blossomed. Had good speed and the best curveball I've ever seen - start off at your nose and almost bounce on the plate. Like the ball just rolled off of a table. The key to it was the spin he could put on it - his hands were massive, 12" from tip of thumb to tip of pinkie. He could hold 4 baseballs in one hand with his hand on top.
Koufax and Drysdale were a formidable duo. Both held out the spring of 1966 for bigger salaries - they wanted $1-million split between them for the next 3 years ($167,000 each per season). They settled for $125,000 for Koufax and $110,000 for Drysdale.
Speaking of "old school" baseball, Drysdale would just as soon hit you as look at you. His philosophy was he owned half of the plate and the batter owned half the plate - he just wasn't going to tell the batter which half was his.
Saw an interview with Koufax and Joe Torre on TV that was made last season. He still looks great.
Read this for more Koufax info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Koufax

I gotta agree with Pete Rose, too. I heard him give an interview once where the interviewer asked him what made him such a good hitter. He said "three things". Standing with your feet in a wide stance, squattin to make that space between your shoulders and waist as small as possible and crowding home plate. If you look at old footage of him at bat, he does all three EVERY single time. I think what baseball did to him was a disgrace. No drugs involved, no nuthin. When I think nowadays of how much bettin and gamblin goes on over games it makes me sick. I think baseball itself ruined one of the best players to ever play the game. He played for the Macon Peaches YEARS ago. Daddy and I got to see him return to play with them again in an exhibition game long about the late 70s. He was a playin sumbitch. He played just as hard in that AAA league than we ever saw him play professionally.

If you want to go Old School, Buck O'Neil was the man.

Why don't you quit tryin to show off what you learned from Google and talk about someone you've REALLY seen play? Or do you even really know a thing about baseball either?

Lou Gehrig, the luckiest man on the face of the Earth, was the best baseball player pre-1960. I would then have to go with Pete Rose followed by Mickey Mantle. Best modern baseball player? A-Rod because of his age and skill.

I bet you can't guess what my favorite team is. :-D

What the hell would you know about Lou Gehrig? He was dead before your daddy was born. And Mickey Mantle? Really? And bein just 20, you've never even seen Pete Rose ever swing a bat at a live game. What skills does "A Rod" have? Bein a fine role model as a man ***** and shootin up steroids. Yeah, you really know your stuff.

No need to insult me because I stated the players I like. Don't start your typical bull ****. This is "The Best Player Ever" not "The Best Player You Have Personally Seen Play in Your Lifetime", dumbass.

And for your information I met Buck O'Neil in Washington when I was a kid, and I attended a Yanks game in NY in 2004. I have been to countless local College games and Minor league games. I have watched every WS since 1994, and played Baseball in HS.

And A-Rod has skill. Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire were roid-shooting cheaters, but they knew how to play the game. And do some studying yourself; A-Rod's steroid blunder was in 2003. Go pick on someone of your caliber, like a fellow redneck or something.

Okay I know this not quite the original intent.
I had a great uncle, Homer Smoot, who played for the Cardnials and Reds in the eatly 1900's. His claim to fame? Two inside the park home runs in 1 game. You have to remember in those days 10 homers a year was astonishing:cheers::cheers:
So to me, he's family, and my greatest ball player

I remember a guy who played for the Dodgers, Dale...something. He had arms that made the bat look like a toothpick. Funny thing to remember, but I was shocked to see a ball player pumped up like that.

No need to insult me because I stated the players I like. Don't start your typical bull ****. This is "The Best Player Ever" not "The Best Player You Have Personally Seen Play in Your Lifetime", dumbass.

Oh that was classy. I didn't insult you. You're the one slingin insults callin me a dumbass. I shouldn't expect anything more from you though. I simply asked in a stern way way what besides what you found on Google or in a book you knew about players from the 1930s?

And for your information I met Buck O'Neil in Washington when I was a kid, and I attended a Yanks game in NY in 2004. I have been to countless local College games and Minor league games. I have watched every WS since 1994, and played Baseball in HS.

And that instantly makes you an expert on players from another era. I find that hilarious.

And A-Rod has skill. Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire were roid-shooting cheaters, but they knew how to play the game. And do some studying yourself; A-Rod's steroid blunder was in 2003. Go pick on someone of your caliber, like a fellow redneck or something.

No, far as I'm concerned, anybody messed around with steroids BROKE THE RULES, so that negates them 100% in my book. THEY CHEATED. And it's funny too.....because even though they cheated, there were STILL better players who did not playing the game at the same time. Also certainly much better players long before steroids came into play. I was THERE when Hank aaron hit number 715. THERE. LIVE and IN PERSON. I am glad you're a fan, really. But talk about things you KNOW, instead of trying to impress everyone with you still green 20 year old brain. Just as usual though, you've resorted to the same tactics here as you do everwhere else. Calling names when you can't have your way. You wouldn't talk like that in front of me. Not but once.

I simply asked in a stern way way what besides what you found on Google or in a book you knew about players from the 1930s?

You are not fooling anyone. You singled me out. Others here talked of Ruth, and not one of them ever saw him. Yet you chose to attack me because I haven't seen a couple of the players I have named. You are an idiot.

But talk about things you KNOW, instead of trying to impress everyone with you still green 20 year old brain. Just as usual though, you've resorted to the same tactics here as you do everwhere else. Calling names when you can't have your way.

I am not trying to impress anyone. I met O'Neil. He was a Negro League legend (hell, a baseball legend) back before you were even born.

You wouldn't talk like that in front of me. Not but once.

Big talk behind a computer screen. You talk all you want, but you can't stop a .45.

You should just shut the hell up and get back to baseball. You ruin everything...

You are not fooling anyone. You singled me out. Others here talked of Ruth, and not one of them ever saw him. Yet you chose to attack me because I haven't seen a couple of the players I have named. You are an idiot.

Again, nice insult. I didn't attack you. I simply pointed out in a stern way that you cannot have first hand knowledge of anyone you spoke of with the exception of "Steroid Row".

I am not trying to impress anyone. I met O'Neil. He was a Negro League legend (hell, a baseball legend) back before you were even born.

I'm sure he was a great player. But no need to come on here makin out like you're the big Buck Oneal expert just because you met him ONCE probably less than two minutes when you were what 12...13? Yeah. Instant expert.

Big talk behind a computer screen. You talk all you want, but you can't stop a .45.

You should just shut the hell up and get back to baseball. You ruin everything...

Oh, and now you threaten my life on a forum in front of thousands of people. Nice work for a KID behind a keyboard.

I absolutely will not tolerate threats against another members life on this site. Find another place to play internet tough guy

but, I possibly think Roberto Clemente could have grown into a great player if he lived to see the end of his career.

Clemente WAS great, he died @ 38 yrs old, nearing the end of his career, and was WS MVP the year before he died. 18 yr career, 12 gold gloves, 4 batting titles, 3000 hits, .317 lifetime BA, 240 HR, 1305 RBI, first Hispanic layer to win the WS as a starter, to win the league MVP, and to win the WS MVP.

Had an absolute CANNON for an arm, too!!! And could run like a deer

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9cEoMwtjuM"]YouTube - Roberto Clemente: More Than Baseball[/ame]

FF

-
Back