"Baselining" my 225

-
You have a later cyl head for sure. I have a set of nos wires for them if needed, have to figure out the year of the engine for plugs. Ignition wise I am not sure if it was upgraded to electronic, can you take a pic of the distributor with the cap off?
makes a difference with the plugs.
Ray

Last edited:
Tight spot to get good pics, but here ya go. It still has points.
dist.jpg
dist1.jpg
points.jpg

OK points sytem. I have everything you need. Minus wires and Plugs not sure of with the peanut head bet @slantsixdan will know. The wires I have are for electronic peanut heads.

Don't know why the same wires wouldn't work for either points or electronic.

Yes they do it is just the suppression difference in them for ideal conditions, more for the KV out of the coil. Hey Rob what plugs you think he should use with running point system with the peanut head? Just talked to him.

Probably a 1982 - 225 engine. Carburetor #4287015 is a Holley 1bbl with build date of January 1982.

It's possible the carb is not original but the parts catalog shows it was only used in 1981 and 1982. The definitive answer would be to follow RustyRatRod's advice in post #5. You may have to pull the alternator off, if the stamped id number has been painted over or covered with dirt.

newer head for sure. @halifaxhops has some NOS plug wires...? Just get an old 1bbl air cleaner, Ill check to see if I still have my old one. Newer carbs usually are jetted to run leaner and have a bunch of ports on them. That exhaust manifold is newer than 65 with all that ribbing...Those new carbs are foreign to me. Intake look early with no PCV base. I like the location of the fuel filter. Those hose clamps hovering over a hot exhaust manifold always scared me. Your manual choke should pull on, pump the carb once and then turn the key with no added gas. It should start right up pulling pig rich for a minute or so, then let off the choke maybe half way or all the way and blip it again. It should settle to a low idle. Im not sure if that carb style has a manual choke lever to that divorced choke well.
(wrote this yesterday but forgot to post it until now!)

Check the number on the edge of the block just behind and under the alternator. It sticks out from under the head there like a shelf. There are a series of numbers there something like RG225 *** *** That can tell you what it is and the year model.

It's possible the carb is not original but the parts catalog shows it was only used in 1981 and 1982. The definitive answer would be to follow RustyRatRod's advice in post #5. You may have to pull the alternator off, if the stamped id number has been painted over or covered with dirt.

The best I can tell, the numbers are: 0225 T 6 23 ??
For the life of me, I can't make out the last letter... B? D? E?

From the 1980 truck service manual. The 225 cubic inch engine will carry an identification number as follows:The first position will designate the model year. The three numbers following the model year indicate the cubic inch displacement,(225). The letter following the engine displacement designates usage,(T)_Truck. The following numbers indicate shift build and day and month build date. Letter after that indicates oversize or undersize component parts. So your engine is a 1980 model. Some of the numbers following the T may not have been clearly stamped, which is not unusual.

I'm told that the 1490 means it was built in the 49th week of 1980. Technically, wouldn't that mean it was in a 1981 model year vehicle?
The only way to know is to pull the valve cover, but is there a chance that a late build like that could have hydraulic lifters?

Speaking of valve cover gaskets, I'm leaning towards this one instead of rubber. I guess. Maybe....I don't know! LOL

More Information for MAHLE VS39745
Some like cork some like rubber. I hated cork when the bits and pieces were sticking to the head and the cover and had to be cleaned off before a new gasket went on.
Being a newer engine, it may have hydraulic lifters. I forget when 225s got hydraulic lifters, it was pretty late. In which case there is rarely a need to remove the valve covers.

Now, once the tune up stuff, PCV and ignition stuff is sorted, I wouldn't mind doing something about that air cleaner. What kind of pics or info do you need from me to figure out what's going on there and what parts I need to rectify it?
Photos in the sales lit and shop manual are good references. Those will also show how many of the things were connected and routed, allthough sometimes the shop manual illustations were just recycled from the previous years.
The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1965 Plymouth Dealership Data Book - Valiant

The best I can tell, the numbers are: 0225 T 6 23 ??
For the life of me, I can't make out the last letter... B? D? E?
Last letter is probably an E. Cuz by then all /6 had a cast crank. All of which were designated that way.

So far, in my tune up parts cart I have:

-FelPro water outlet gasket and a Stant 180 degree thermostat
-PCV valve and new grommet
-MAHLE VS39745 cork/rubber valve cover gasket
-Distributor cap and rotor
-Wix 33002 fuel filter
-Gates 31527 radiator cap
-Denso 7mm plug wires with the correct caps for my engine

I also have some new Champion RV15YC plugs on the way, and I have points/condenser that came with the car. Oil/filter were changed recently.
Think of anything else I may need?

I've about convinced myself to go ahead and swap out the distributor with one from @halifaxhops .
I'm told that the timing curve in this one is wrong (not enough initial/total advance) for the 1980 engine. It certainly feels a little sluggish off the line and fuel economy sucks.

Which leads me to the carb. It's also not correct for the car OR the engine. It sure has a bunch of plugged ports and unused EPA B.S. on it.
@slantsixdan , what would you suggest, carb eise?

You could always pull your distributor apart and clean it out, replace the vac advance can and lube the advance weights etc and see it it helps. They may just be sticking/seized.

You could always pull your distributor apart and clean it out, replace the vac advance can and lube the advance weights etc and see it it helps. They may just be sticking/seized.
Yeah, they're really simple beasts.

That air cleaner was a one-year, one-engine-only deal: 1962 Valiant-Lancer cars with the 170 engine. They called it 'unsilenced'—a better word is loud—and it offers no operational advantage. No better performance, no better economy, but it was a trifle cheaper to make. The one-year-only usage tells the tale. This what's on your car appears to have been modified with what might at one time been a breather hose fitting; this kind of hack was done on a lot of 1961-1964 California cars during that state's experimentation with retrofitting various kinds of emission controls to cars not originally equipped.

The correct air cleaner for your car is one of two types: a 9" diameter ('63-'67) or an 11" diameter ('61-'68) item, both with a baseplate and a full-circumference/full-drop lid that covers the entire air filter element. California cars '64 and later got the larger type, with a breather hose nipple on its outer wall. 49-state cars (and CA cars through '63) got large or small—no breather hose fitting in either case—depending on which one came to hand when and where any given engine was being assembled. Both types take the same air filter element, but the larger type has more drop to the baseplate, so it takes a different bail to attach it to the carburetor. The 9" air cleaner takes the same bail you have now.

Your carburetor is a Holley 6145. This, first used in the early 1980s in California, is the feedback version of the Holley 1945, which in turn was first used in 1974. It is pretty completely inappropriate for use on your car—it won't work correctly with the mixture control solenoid left for dead like that with its wire cut (and they can't really be said to work "correctly" even with the mixture control solenoid hooked up as intended; feedback carburetors were a cheap and nasty way of squeaking cars past their emissions type approval tests so they could be offered for first sale). This carb has no proper provisions for the rotating-rod throttle linkage in your car; it's meant for a cable-type arrangement. Looks like someone has kindasorta rigged up a way of attaching the rod to the carburetor. I wouldn't trust it.

The correct carburetor for your car would be a Carter BBS or Holley 1920, again depending on which carb came to hand when any particular engine was being put together. Which one is preferable is largely academic; the BBS is the better design, but at this late date the better carburetor is whichever you can find in better condition.

Problem is, good carburetors for these cars have grown difficult and costly to get hold of. "Remanufactured" ones are practically a guaranteed waste of money and time.

First choice would be a new old stock carb; these are terrific when they can be found and afforded. Second preference would be an older refurbished/rebuilt/remanufactured carb from years ago, back before "remanufactured" meant what it means now. Here's a perfect new '66 Holley 1920. Here's a worthy-looking older rebuild of a '63 Holley 1920, and here's a worthy-looking older rebuild of a '65-'66 Carter BBS. Any of these would be much more suitable for your car than what you've got now. If you wind up with a Holley 1920, its fuel inlet faces the passenger side, rather than front. Good excuse to do the fuel line mod.

Third preference is to have a good used carburetor thoroughly rebuilt by a skilled expert—starting with an unmolested original carb that is in basically sound condition and has never been abusively cleaned (sandblasted, etc) in a manner that strips off the anticorrosion surface treatment from the metal—with that coating gone, the carburetor turns into a pile of powdery white "metal mould" inside, especially with alcohol in the gasoline.

Whichever you wind up with, fixing the choke is easy; get a № 1231 electric choke kit.

Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download, and tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this post.

Last edited:
Well, I would definitely need the electric choke or a manual choke. Not sure if you noticed, but the area on the manifold where the stock choke attached has now been brazed up.

I'm down for any carb that works correctly. I'm not worried about "correct".

There's an ad on Craigslist that's not too far from me; guy has a complete intake from a 1962 Valiant 170ci. Even though I've asked a couple of times for a pic and part number, he just says it's stock and they were all the same. Any clue what it might be and should I grab it for $100?
CL carb.jpg

The air cleaner there I've seen listed by themselves for more than that. 100 these days isn't terrible especially if that carb ends up usable. Sometimes that ends up a crap shoot.
My only question s are you're working on a 225 right? Would a carb original to a 170 be set up too lean for 55 more cubes?

The FSM says they 170 and 225 used different carbs. So...will probably pass on that one. I already have some cobbled together stuff. I want to cry once and fix it right.

-
Back