Basic Questions,

-

Jarvis

Reaction score
OK,
First off, I'm an extreme newbie to working on cars, but I love the A-bodies. I got a 70 Dart /6 that needs work, and I want to learn how to do the work myself. But I have a question, that is probably pretty basic. The original wheels are the 4in. bolt pattern. I love the ralleye wheels and bought some (before I knew better) and they have a 4.5 bolt pattern. I plan on changing the drum breaks up front to disks. The question is, what is the best way to go about changing the 4in drums to 4.5 disks?

Please help...

Or at least snicker quietly.:toothy10:

The factory disc brakes from a 73 up a-body will bolt right on and put you at 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. Most always a setup avail in the for sale section here.

YEP! That's the ticket. Stuff from '73 will swap right over. You'll need the upper control arms (A arms) and the spindle. Brake parts are all '73 as well and make sure you grab the caliper mounting bracket.

When you move everything over from one car to the next, the old brake lines will have to be changed to a longer 73. Just order them from the parts store for a '73. They'll most likely have them on the shelf along with pads and calipers etc...

A master cylinder change along with proportioning valve from the donor car is needed to make this work as intended. (AKA - GREAT!) I picked up my master cylinder from the auto parts store (Advanced) for $22. Bolt on and go.

You do know you'll have to swap the rear axle too, right? You most likely have a 7-1/4" rear; now would be the time to upgrade to an 8-1/4" or 8-3/4" rear with Sure-Grip (limited slip differential) and different gears (if you want them).

8 1/4 work fine for a street car and they are 5X4 1/2 you could get 5X4 1/2, 7 1/4 for next to nothing if your really on a budget

8 1/4 work fine for a street car and they are 5X4 1/2 you could get 5X4 1/2, 7 1/4 for next to nothing if your really on a budget

8 1/4th rear end will be fine running a /6 surely. This again shouldn't be a lot of work. Simply remove driveshaft, brakelines, E-brake cables, shackles. Then reverse to put on. Then you'll have the same bolt pattern all around. (Did I miss anything?)

and all of your spare time, and wallet is fixing to get hit hard. Welcome.

If ya smart, resourcefull, patient and persistent you'll be fine. No need for discouragment.

As someone who's worked on cars for a while but has only had an Abody for a year I can say this website has been an awesome resource.

Search, search, search and study study study. Especially read a lot about what you want to tackle, and remember, everyone started somewhere and no question is a stupid one, unless you repeat it over and over ;)

I don't know where you are located. If you are within driving distance to GA I have a BBP (big bolt pattern) 7 1/4 I can soon give to you. AFAIK, it is ok. It is in a parts car and I will soon be ready to let it go.
C

if you switch to an 8 1/4 from a 7 1/4 you need to use the shock plates that go with the rear (and new U-bolts)

Driveshaft will have to be shortened a little bit. Can't remember if the u-joints are the same on both rear ends.

-
Back