Battery cable questions

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
The cost of buying a new repop positive battery cable is a bit crazy, i can make one of these myself. Got 2 questions for y'all though.

1. What is the gage used for the positive cable ?

2. What is the stock length of the positive cable from terminal to terminal for V8 A body cars 67-76 ?

Thanks
Matt

1 gauge. Try and get automotive grade. its more flexi than building wire. cant help in length

SGX is stranded automotive grade
battery-cable_200.jpg

Is #1 gage what diameter the factory used? The reason i say that is i have access to #4 and #6 automotive grade cable, and have the ability to crimp my own ends.

Last edited:
Get a 48" red standard battery cable with an "offshoot" to tap into...

Run a 10 gauge wire from the offshoot to the starter relay...

Then run another 10 gauge wire from the other terminal on the starter relay to the small terminal on the starter...

Wrap as needed....

It won't look exactly as a stock one, but will be close and function properly...

Then get a 24" black terminal with offshoot for the negative...

Run the main cable to the front of the left head, and 10 from the offshoot to a body ground....

I was able to buy a 20" negative from Del city premade for about $4. Stock length on negative is 19" yep i know how to wire up the relay, but thanks for adding that for others as well. It doesnt need to look exactly stock, just interested in the gage, and length.

Good info! I will need to make a custom positive harness for my 65 wagon since I'm adding a fuse/relay panel in the engine compartment.

The cost of buying a new repop positive battery cable is a bit crazy, i can make one of these myself. Got 2 questions for y'all though.

1. What is the gage used for the positive cable ?

2. What is the stock length of the positive cable from terminal to terminal for V8 A body cars 67-76 ?

Thanks
Matt
i agree,the mark up is out of this world.i made my own.who cares if its not just like the orig.not like its a hemi cuda with a 100% correct resto

Stock cables are usually 4 gauge IIRC. Both pos and neg.

I build them using 1 or 1/0 usually for both sides. Hot start issues are usually a non factor using a larger cable.

-
Back