BBP 7 1/4 axle shafts

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
why, i dont think they even made an 7.25 with BBP... 8.25 and 8.75 are your choices...

Yes they did, I have a 7 1/4 out of a 74 v8 Dart that I parted out with big bolt pattern

I have a pair of axle shafts only if you can't find something closer.
Thanks, Mark

why, i dont think they even made an 7.25 with BBP... 8.25 and 8.75 are your choices...

7 1/4 is the only A-body rear available in both big and small bolt pattern from the factory

8 1/4 all came big bolt, and 8 3/4 A-body rear's all came small bolt

the difference between the big and small bolt 7 1/4 rear's is in the with of the brakes, I have read that in order to allow for the wider brakes the factory narrowed the housing

I have a complete 7.25 from a 75 Valiant slant 6 car. Leaf springs still attached. Easley SC . Not tooo far but winter is upon us.

7 1/4 is the only A-body rear available in both big and small bolt pattern from the factory

8 1/4 all came big bolt, and 8 3/4 A-body rear's all came small bolt

the difference between the big and small bolt 7 1/4 rear's is in the with of the brakes, I have read that in order to allow for the wider brakes the factory narrowed the housing

interesting! i didn't think they made the 7.25 that late, thought the 8.25 took over for it

thanks for the info!

Worst differential made ever .

Keep watch on "M" Body diff's as well ... The factory pulled a slick one and put that piece-of-**** 7.25" setup in an 8.25" housing !!!!

I don't know which is worse : small bolt-circle pattern or that weak-assed pile of **** 7.25" diff !

Keep watch on "M" Body diff's as well ... The factory pulled a slick one and put that piece-of-**** 7.25" setup in an 8.25" housing !!!!

I don't know which is worse : small bolt-circle pattern or that weak-assed pile of **** 7.25" diff !

I have one under my 73 with 308K miles on it.
I'm sure I could have tore it up if I wanted to.

Don't hold back, dude, tell us how you really feel. By the way you talk about it, one would think you walked in on a 7 1/4 sbp banging your wife.

If your existing housing had 9" brakes LBP shafts will not fit. The 9" housing was wider. I'm pretty sure all LBP 7 1/4 rears had 10" brakes (SBP 9" drums went away after 73 I think). The 7 1/4 was used through 76 as the standard rear end for /6 and 318 auto cars. If the Sure-Grip option was ordered I believe the 8 1/4 was fitted to the later cars, even /6.

If your existing housing had 9" brakes LBP shafts will not fit. The 9" housing was wider. I'm pretty sure all LBP 7 1/4 rears had 10" brakes (SBP 9" drums went away after 73 I think). The 7 1/4 was used through 76 as the standard rear end for /6 and 318 auto cars. If the Sure-Grip option was ordered I believe the 8 1/4 was fitted to the later cars, even /6.

Correct. I'm pretty sure the axle bearing design is different too.

If you're plan was to pull a pair of SBP axles out and BBP slid in their place, you can forget that idea. As mentioned above, they're different length, different bearing, seal, retainer, backing plate, etc. If you just have a couple of bad shafts and need good ones, PM me with your shipping address and I'll get you a delivered price.
Thanks, Mark

Mine is a '75 and came with sbp/9" brakes (/6 car).

I'm building a rear end and I have the correct housing. I even have a 7 1/4 Sure Grip unit, I just don't have axle shafts.

Mine is a '75 and came with sbp/9" brakes (/6 car).

I'm building a rear end and I have the correct housing. I even have a 7 1/4 Sure Grip unit, I just don't have axle shafts.

That might be what you found under a 75 model.
Got 7/16 left hand lug studs too ? LOL
Good luck

That might be what you found under a 75 model.
Got 7/16 left hand lug studs too ? LOL
Good luck

I'm pretty sure the 7 1/4 rear in my car is original. I'm having a hard time picturing the old lady I got it from swapping rear ends.

...and I didn't say the rear in the car now was lbp/sg, that's what I'm building, or trying to build if I can get the parts together.

I just found out I can get an 8 1/4 sg, complete. Should I go that route instead?

i'm pretty sure the 7 1/4 rear in my car is original. I'm having a hard time picturing the old lady i got it from swapping rear ends.

...and i didn't say the rear in the car now was lbp/sg, that's what i'm building, or trying to build if i can get the parts together.

I just found out i can get an 8 1/4 sg, complete. Should i go that route instead?

I'm pretty sure the 7 1/4 rear in my car is original. I'm having a hard time picturing the old lady I got it from swapping rear ends.

...and I didn't say the rear in the car now was lbp/sg, that's what I'm building, or trying to build if I can get the parts together.

I just found out I can get an 8 1/4 sg, complete. Should I go that route instead?
Yup, 8 1/4 much better rear. Get u-bolts, shock plates, and driveshaft with it if you can.

8.25 is the better choice. U-bolts should be replaced with new. 35 bucks average cost. Do get the shock plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back